Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Question Define "possession"

Bear with me, this is a real question.

Situation 1: A single man, living alone in NJ, is arrested for something (charge is irrelevant for this posting). Upon searching his house pursuant to a legal search warrant, the police find a handful of 20- and 30‑round AR magazines. He is then charged with a dozen counts of possession of magazine over 10 rounds.

Situation 2: A single man, living alone in PA, is arrested in NJ for something (charge still irrelevant for this posting). Upon searching his house pursuant to a legal search warrant, the police find a handful of 20- and 30‑round AR magazines. Can he be charged by NJ with possession of magazine over 10 rounds?

Neither man had the magazines in their physical possession, but man #1 possessed them adequately to receive a PMITA stay at the grey‑bar hotel. Given that courts have ruled that “shall not be infringed” doesn’t mean what it says, and that ATF can now claim that a piece of plastic is now a machine gun, is it possible that a court in NJ could rule that possession of the magazines in the home – under the control of ONLY man #2 – is sufficient to trigger charges under the new law?

Non-gunners are often astonished at the complexities of firearm law. I, sadly, am not, so I like to be as sure of them as possible. I don’t want to seem paranoid, but it IS the 3rd Circuit…

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Define "possession"

First IANAL...
    I do not believe that NJ state law can be enforced in PA with rare exception like hot pursuit across the state line, and I am not sure about that. I am sure some of the resident legal eagles will either confirm or deny this. If the person is a 'prohibited person' under Federal law that could cross the state lines.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Bear with me, this is a real question.

Situation 1: A single man, living alone in NJ, is arrested for something (charge is irrelevant for this posting). Upon searching his house pursuant to a legal search warrant, the police find a handful of 20- and 30‑round AR magazines. He is then charged with a dozen counts of possession of magazine over 10 rounds.

Situation 2: A single man, living alone in PA, is arrested in NJ for something (charge still irrelevant for this posting). Upon searching his house pursuant to a legal search warrant, the police find a handful of 20- and 30‑round AR magazines. Can he be charged by NJ with possession of magazine over 10 rounds?

Neither man had the magazines in their physical possession, but man #1 possessed them adequately to receive a PMITA stay at the grey‑bar hotel. Given that courts have ruled that “shall not be infringed” doesn’t mean what it says, and that ATF can now claim that a piece of plastic is now a machine gun, is it possible that a court in NJ could rule that possession of the magazines in the home – under the control of ONLY man #2 – is sufficient to trigger charges under the new law?

Non-gunners are often astonished at the complexities of firearm law. I, sadly, am not, so I like to be as sure of them as possible. I don’t want to seem paranoid, but it IS the 3rd Circuit…
    How does a NJ LEO get a search warrant for a home in PA?

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    How does a NJ LEO get a search warrant for a home in PA?
    They can't. NJ Leo have no rights or authority in Pennsylvania. Although I'm sure they wish they did. And quite a few PA residents wished they would try

(Erie County)

What is the search warrant for? Are the magazines in "plain view" or are they found while the police were looking for what was specified on the search warrant?
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Carbon County)

If the crime was a serious Felony ..... Yes they could get a warrant for the PA home

No .... he couldn't be charged for the magazines because they are legal in PA
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
    No .... he couldn't be charged for the magazines because they are legal in PA
    So, the issue for man #1 is that there were magazines in NJ, and they were his, not just that he owned them?

Again, I have read some tortured rulings...

(Carbon County)

if you are in possession of them while in NJ you can be charged

If you are in NJ and the magazines are in PA you cant be charged
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Jefferson County)

Man #1 is shit out of luck.

Man #2 cannot be charged if the magazines are within PA. Possession/ownership of >10rd mags aren't illegal in PA.

Possess = to have control and custody of an item, or merely have factual or de facto ownership in some situations.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
    if you are in possession of them while in NJ you can be charged
    I am in NJ. Mags are in *my* house in PA, where only I live. Who is in possession of them?

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Possess = to have control and custody of an item, or merely have factual or de facto ownership in some situations.
    I guess that's my question, then. What situations apply when?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast