Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default antique firearm transfer legal questions

I was at the flea market today and i saw what looked like a replica to me, but upon examining it, it looked like a real antique 45 revolver. it said franlin mint on the plaque that came with it and I was wondering what the procedure would be to buy it. would i need an ffl for the guy to transfer the revolver to me if it is indeed a real firarm? I know there was another guy there today who had an old break action 12 guage for sale that he aquired from a house cleanout from a widdow and he was telling me that he had the widow transfer some pistols to him and he would sell me the pistols through an ffl or the shotty right on the spot. I'm not sure of the legality of that revolver and if i needed an ffl to buy it (years old, regulations, etc). i never purchased a firarm from anywhere except an ffl at the gun show or gun shop and i'm wondering what is safe to buy at a flea market, yard sale, ect without going through an ffl. I know that some of the things sold at flea markets are questionablly legal (sports jerseys and such). just wondering because i know there are a few antique firarms collectors out there and heck, if the guy would transfer it to me through an ffl if i need to be, i'd go back next week and see if he still has them and if he'd go to an ffl with me to do the transfer. didn't ask much questions to him, because he might be ignorant to the law unlike yall who look out for the good of the law abiding armed citizens.

that'd be sweet if it is real and cheap and i knew which way it'd be legal to buy off of the guy, cause then i'd have another toy in my collection.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(York County)

Default Re: antique frirarm tranfer legal questions

No. There is no need for the FFL for a transfer of "friararms" so long as both parties are the same religon.

In all seriousness, if its a replica, you should be okay w/o the FFL. But if it really is a working revolver you need one.

Dave
    3%

(Centre County)

Long arms (rifles, shotguns) can be sold face to face (FTF) with no paperwork if both parties agree. FTF sales of handguns must go through a licensed dealer or a sheriffs dept (good luck finding one that will do this).

I would be very wary of any "antique" firearm being sold at a flea market. Franklin Mint sells replicas of firearms if I remember, they probably look very good but aren't for shooting. Also, If buying from a private seller, you can ask for a 2 or 3 day inspection period to be able to take it to a competent gunsmith or dealer for a complete check out. I again would be wary of someone that won't let you do that. If you know excatly what to look for and know how to evaluate a gun prior to buying then you should be able to make that decision.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

thanks. so if it is a real revolver, then i'd need an ffl or the sherif to do the transfer, but if it is a replica, then i don't need one. does the franklin mint sell firing guns with engravings, or do they just sell replicas? not sure if they used to sell real guns or if they sold replicas. wasn't about to load up a round and try it out at the flea market. and of course if the guy isn't willing to take it to an ffl or gunsmith for an inspection, i should walk away. if it is a replica, it'd still look good on my wall, but if it fires and i can get the transfer done, then bonus for me from the old lady and her brother that is selling thier late husband/inlaw's stuff.

(Jefferson County)

Was it one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Franklin-Mint-Co...d=p3286.c0.m14

Nearly all the other Franklin Mint guns are just props. ...nonfirearms.

There may be an exception for a couple items, but most if not all that I've seen they are just display things. And for how much they cost you can have a real functioning SAA by a number of manufacturers.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: antique firearm transfer legal questions

What year is it. If im not mistaken anything made 1899 and before doesn't need an FFL transfer. It is not considered a firearm under the UFA. But check I could be wrong, I dont often buy antiques.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Bucks County)

Default Re: antique firearm transfer legal questions

chances are at a flea market they are cheap as hell. everything is cheap at a flea market because the people don't know what they are selling. i'll look into that 1899 thing