Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Negligent Discharge

Mea culpa.

I screwed up and had a negligent discharge. No injuries and no damage other than a small hole in the wall, no penetration.

I had given my son his first handgun as an early Christmas present earlier in the evening, a Heritage Rough Rider single action revolver. I thought it would be a good way to introduce him to firearms and firearms safety. Went over all the rules and then he cased his gun and we talked about going shooting. He mentioned shooting a semi, so I went to the safe and got my Sig Mosquito. Dropped the magazine, cleared the chamber, checked the chamber handed to him. He said it felt nice in his hand and was looking forward to shooting it.

A couple hours later, I was researching grinding down the feed ramp on the Mosquito to solve the failure to feed problem inherent to those guns. I took it apart to get a better view of the ramp. To reassemble the weapon, you need to pull the trigger to release the slide. I had forgotten that part as I was focused on the magazine safety. Anyway, the exact manner I did it is unclear, but I chambered a round while reassembling the weapon.

No, I did not empty the magazine. Yes, I was thoughtless and careless. I put a hole in my wall. I feel incredibly stupid, my wife may not speak to me and I have to eat a metric ton of crow with my son when I tell him what happened. Let the justifiable finger pointing and debasing begin. I deserve it.

Lessons learned:
    1) Don't be cocky. I have handled that gun a hundred times and taken it apart dozens. I didn't respect it and it almost ended very differently
    2) Don't reassemble tired. I am tired and I forgot steps. In my haste, I screwed up.
    3) Safe direction = Always a good thing
    4) If you have a negligent discharge, don't try to calm the wife down. She will be having none of it.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Negligent Discharge

Dude, long time no see!! Glad you and yours are safe.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Some might throw out flack. But I do appreciate when people post their mistakes like this. No better reminder that you can never take anything for granted, no matter how firearm literate a person thinks they are. Glad no one was hurt and it was a lesson, not a tragedy.

(Chester County)

The problem is called, "HABIT". You don't think of opening & closing the door, you just do it.

People make mistakes. The horror comes when they refuse to make allowances for mistakes, like driving at 60 MPH just 5 feet behind the bumper of the car ahead of you.

You're human. I bet you'll be more careful in the future, and your son will as well.

Post a little sign saying "Trust me, I know what I'm doing" right below the hole on the wall.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Monroe County)

*slap back of head* dumbass

OK BUT NOTE As I- sorry We Goose preach gun safety rules If followed even IF you mess one or 2 up you still kept it pointed at a wall and not a person.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

There are only certain guns I keep loaded all the time. They are for defense. None of them are 22s because of that reason. Any gun in a case that is loaded gets two papers, one on each side and that say LOADED.

Just putting out there a few of my extra steps for anyone out there to think about once you cross the no loaded guns in the house safety rule.

Happy it was pointed in a safe direction and nobody was hurt. This will be the indelible reminder that ultimately makes you a safer person. All learning comes from a humble place. Know it alls are stuck in place.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Bucks County)

You fucked up....peepee smacked. Thank God You're safe.

now, your bigger mistake was buying the mosquito. (same pistol, same problem)
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    <snip>

now, your bigger mistake was buying the mosquito. (same pistol, same problem)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gBRMaIfRqk

I have a list of gunsmiths and the fix looks pretty simple. If I had any confidence, I'd do it myself with a Dremel tool.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Venango County)

This gets me to thinking about the sand filled drums in stands at an angle about three or four foot high. They were called clearance barrels/stations outside of prison entrances for LEO.

Maybe we should use in housing or if there is better tech to make them smaller. That way a discharge would be absorbed more safely. Especially important for apartments or developments.

Of course, we all think it won’t happen to us but we should be prepared. I haven’t done so yet, so I am a poor example but wonder what others think or know what products might work in that role.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast