Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Negligent Discharge

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The most dangerous words ever spoken.

Worse even than "John, we've been together a while, but I've been talking to all my girlfriends and we've decided that . . ."
    Is this a lesbian story? Cause if it is, I'm thinking it has a great ending.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    Mea culpa.

I screwed up and had a negligent discharge. No injuries and no damage other than a small hole in the wall, no penetration.

I had given my son his first handgun as an early Christmas present earlier in the evening, a Heritage Rough Rider single action revolver. I thought it would be a good way to introduce him to firearms and firearms safety. Went over all the rules and then he cased his gun and we talked about going shooting. He mentioned shooting a semi, so I went to the safe and got my Sig Mosquito. Dropped the magazine, cleared the chamber, checked the chamber handed to him. He said it felt nice in his hand and was looking forward to shooting it.

A couple hours later, I was researching grinding down the feed ramp on the Mosquito to solve the failure to feed problem inherent to those guns. I took it apart to get a better view of the ramp. To reassemble the weapon, you need to pull the trigger to release the slide. I had forgotten that part as I was focused on the magazine safety. Anyway, the exact manner I did it is unclear, but I chambered a round while reassembling the weapon.

No, I did not empty the magazine. Yes, I was thoughtless and careless. I put a hole in my wall. I feel incredibly stupid, my wife may not speak to me and I have to eat a metric ton of crow with my son when I tell him what happened. Let the justifiable finger pointing and debasing begin. I deserve it.

Lessons learned:
    1) Don't be cocky. I have handled that gun a hundred times and taken it apart dozens. I didn't respect it and it almost ended very differently
    2) Don't reassemble tired. I am tired and I forgot steps. In my haste, I screwed up.
    3) Safe direction = Always a good thing
    4) If you have a negligent discharge, don't try to calm the wife down. She will be having none of it.
    Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us. The main thing is no one got hurt (except your pride perhaps).
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    Mea culpa.

I screwed up and had a negligent discharge. No injuries and no damage other than a small hole in the wall, no penetration.

I had given my son his first handgun as an early Christmas present earlier in the evening, a Heritage Rough Rider single action revolver. I thought it would be a good way to introduce him to firearms and firearms safety. Went over all the rules and then he cased his gun and we talked about going shooting. He mentioned shooting a semi, so I went to the safe and got my Sig Mosquito. Dropped the magazine, cleared the chamber, checked the chamber handed to him. He said it felt nice in his hand and was looking forward to shooting it.

A couple hours later, I was researching grinding down the feed ramp on the Mosquito to solve the failure to feed problem inherent to those guns. I took it apart to get a better view of the ramp. To reassemble the weapon, you need to pull the trigger to release the slide. I had forgotten that part as I was focused on the magazine safety. Anyway, the exact manner I did it is unclear, but I chambered a round while reassembling the weapon.

No, I did not empty the magazine. Yes, I was thoughtless and careless. I put a hole in my wall. I feel incredibly stupid, my wife may not speak to me and I have to eat a metric ton of crow with my son when I tell him what happened. Let the justifiable finger pointing and debasing begin. I deserve it.

Lessons learned:
    1) Don't be cocky. I have handled that gun a hundred times and taken it apart dozens. I didn't respect it and it almost ended very differently
    2) Don't reassemble tired. I am tired and I forgot steps. In my haste, I screwed up.
    3) Safe direction = Always a good thing
    4) If you have a negligent discharge, don't try to calm the wife down. She will be having none of it.
    #3 should be #1, in my opinion. If you screw up any other rule, that will save you. Funny thing is, I've seen so many new gun owners not heed that rule. Very scary.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    Never have had a ND and never will.
    That's what I always thought too. And then....... But I have never disobeyed my number one rule, and the shot went downrange.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Is this a lesbian story? Cause if it is, I'm thinking it has a great ending.
    There has never been a consensus among a significant other and all of her girlfriends that was favorable towards the man concerned. Not in all of recorded history.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Bucks County)

Husband is an acronym. I don't know what it stands for, but I'm sure it ain't good.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345