Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Negligent Discharge

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gBRMaIfRqk

I have a list of gunsmiths and the fix looks pretty simple. If I had any confidence, I'd do it myself with a Dremel tool.
    I did mine with a small hand file. it was entirely too easy. if you see how small the in question ridge that is causing the problem is, You'll laugh.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Tioga County)

Always remove the source of ammunition that's the first step in solving that problem. I never fiddle fart with any guns at any time, range or no range with the source of ammunition intact in the gun.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    There are only certain guns I keep loaded all the time. They are for defense. None of them are 22s because of that reason. Any gun in a case that is loaded gets two papers, one on each side and that say LOADED.

Just putting out there a few of my extra steps for anyone out there to think about once you cross the no loaded guns in the house safety rule.

Happy it was pointed in a safe direction and nobody was hurt. This will be the indelible reminder that ultimately makes you a safer person. All learning comes from a humble place. Know it alls are stuck in place.
    Not to be argumentative, but I have found the opposite of this to be correct, for me. I load all my firearms. It makes it easier to "treat all firearms as if they are loaded" when I know, and expect, that they are. This way I do not have to act as if they are loaded, when subconsciously, I know that they should not be. I know that they are loaded, and I treat them accordingly.

If I were to only load certain firearms, I would be creating different categories of firearms which, subconsciously, would not be given the same respect that all firearms deserve. I don't like the idea of assuming some firearms are unloaded, because if you fuck up one time and one isn't, well...

A firearm is only unloaded if I personally unload it and verify it as such, as the rule intends. This is just something to think about, to each his own.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrUgly View Post
    Mea culpa.

I screwed up and had a negligent discharge. No injuries and no damage other than a small hole in the wall, no penetration.
    Lessons learned:

1) Don't be cocky. I have handled that gun a hundred times and taken it apart dozens. I didn't respect it and it almost ended very differently
    2) Don't reassemble tired. I am tired and I forgot steps. In my haste, I screwed up.
    3) Safe direction = Always a good thing
    4) If you have a negligent discharge, don't try to calm the wife down. She will be having none of it.
    There are only two kinds of people who have ND's, those that have and those that will. We all have brain fades from time to time. No harm, no foul and learn from your mistake.

I state this as someone who also experienced an ND a long time ago before I had any formal training beyond the PA hunter safety course.

Had recently received my LTC (before PA was "shall issue") and upon returning home from an afternoon of shooting, put the S&W 17 back in the safe loaded. It was one of the first times I was able to carry concealed with the LTC and carried it home in its holster loaded. Later on that evening wanted to do some dry fire practice and didn't perform a status check before pressing the trigger. Killed one of my stereo speakers. Given that it's not too difficult to see cartridges in a revolver chamber vs. an auto-loader, I really must have had my head up my butt that evening.

You and I are two of those people "who have", there will be others "who will".

(Allegheny County)

Check out the "Safe direction" academy ballistic pad by Ravelin Group. I have a couple. Also great to take when traveling ie hotel where there is no safe direction or apt.

(Berks County)

I would have reported that a neighbor did it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

What hole? Oh, that one. I'm gonna run an AV cable there. Soon as I find one that gauge.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Here's how to fix the wall. Every single step is necessary to ensure that your wife will NEVER find that spot again, even with a microscope!

(1) Spackle the hole, sand with fine sandpaper when dry.
    (2) Repeat (1) as necessary until perfectly flush, as the spackle may shrink/sink when it dries.
    (3) With an X-Acto knife, cut and peel away a 1"-square sample of the wall paint from behind the couch.
    (4) Spackle/sand the paint sampling location.
    (5) Take the paint sample to Home Depot for color matching with their analyzer.
    (6) Buy a gallon, not a quart, of semi-gloss interior paint.
    (7) Paint the walls with a roller, allow to dry.
    (8) Repeat (7) in the area of the bullet hole util the texture there matches the rest of the wall.

This is your penance.

(Allegheny County)

Hmmmmmm you appear to be well versed with this situation.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I am glad that you are OK.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast