Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Middlebury VT police use red-flag to confiscate guns of uninvolved relative

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p..._comment_reply

Middlebury Police Department Press Release

December 18, 2018 4:00 p.m.

JOINT MEDIA RELEASE- Middlebury Police Department , Addison County State’s Attorney, Addison Central School District

SUBJECT: Threat Investigation- Middlebury Union Middle School (MUMS)

An investigation into threats made by two students at MUMS against a specific student, as well as other students and staff generally, with a specific date and time to carry out the threat. The students allegedly planned to obtain firearms from a 3rd party to carry out the threat.

The goal of the investigation was to ensure the safety of the school community. The objectives were to evaluate the threat, identify the principles, separate them from those they intended harm, and to separate them from the implements with which they intended to do harm.

The Department, working with the school, DCF, State’s Attorney Dennis Wygmans, and the Counseling Service of Addison County, had one student taken to Porter Medical Center for psychiatric counseling and follow-up treatment, in the custody of DCF. An Extreme Risk Order was obtained and the firearms from the other student’s relative’s home were seized and held at the police department pending a hearing . The relative was not involved in this incident and had no knowledge of the student’s plans. The firearms had been all encased and secured in safes.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Default Re: Middlebury VT police use red-flag to confiscate guns of uninvolved relative

I guess they dont need a warrant for the seizure?

Default Re: Middlebury VT police use red-flag to confiscate guns of uninvolved relative

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I guess they dont need a warrant for the seizure?
    And they will never get them back again. Well perhaps, after spending more than they are worth to hire a lawyer to maybe get them back. They will be dented, scratched and damaged with some quality time in the evidence locker. That is the whole point of this. Violating the Second, requires government to violate the 4th and 5th too. It was a RINO governor that fastened this bit of anti-Constitution mayhem around the necks of the good citizens of Vermont.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness 1864 View Post
    And they will never get them back again. Well perhaps, after spending more than they are worth to hire a lawyer to maybe get them back. They will be dented, scratched and damaged with some quality time in the evidence locker. That is the whole point of this. Violating the Second, requires government to violate the 4th and 5th too. It was a RINO governor that fastened this bit of anti-Constitution mayhem around the necks of the good citizens of Vermont.
    That happened to me once, damaged firearm after confiscation.
    Isn't this what trump wants?

Maybe I am reading into it too much. It would seem to me that the second student who was not in custody, must have said where the weapons were coming from. That would be the third party. So while they had no knowledge of the incident, they were involved. IMO they should NOT have had the guns taken. Major overreach going on here.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Maybe I am reading into it too much. It would seem to me that the second student who was not in custody, must have said where the weapons were coming from. That would be the third party. So while they had no knowledge of the incident, they were involved. IMO they should NOT have had the guns taken. Major overreach going on here.
    Unfortunately this is the way things are heading with more and more states passing "red flag" laws.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Lehigh County)

So now all that needs to happen is for some kid to say he's gonna shoot up his school on facebook, and claim he has access to guns in his uncle's friend's house. BAM, instant justification for government confiscation. This is some scary ass shit.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Perry County)

As I posted on their Facebook page.

And if they planned to burglarize a gun shop? Would you burglarize it first under the cloak of the red flag in the name of safety? It appears someone was itching to use their new toy. You gave law enforcement a black eye, shame on you.
    As everyone rages about bump-stocks, I see this as a much more insidious action. Using it to confiscate guns from anyone at anytime even if the owner isn't directly involved in the "emergency" screams abuse.

How hard would it have been for the police to tell the gun owner "change the combinations on your safes and makes sure XXXXX isn't given the combination." Instead, they take all of his guns until a hearing is held. Absolutely unacceptable.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    As I posted on their Facebook page.

As everyone rages about bump-stocks, I see this as a much more insidious action. Using it to confiscate guns from anyone at anytime even if the owner isn't directly involved in the "emergency" screams abuse.

How hard would it have been for the police to tell the gun owner "change the combinations on your safes and makes sure XXXXX isn't given the combination." Instead, they take all of his guns until a hearing is held. Absolutely unacceptable.
    Agreed and how prudent are they in the handling of those firearms? Are they also turning $13,000 H&K's into scrap?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast