Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Change Opening Day of Deer Season?

I'll go back and read some of the arguments pro and con.
    It wouldn't bother me to start the Sat after Thanksgiving.
    The past few years, I've gotten deer in my back yard.
    My buddies kids couldnt make it this past season due to work.
    That would at least open a day for them with enough pressure to move some deer around
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    The one I heard that got me scratching my head was if you have a Saturday opener the retailers will suffer (supply stores) because people will hunt instead of buying ammo and clothes? The same person said that also the people who run camp will have to leave family on Thanksgiving to set up camp so it's not right? This was printed in the Outdoor News a few months back.

Yup, don't push that crap my way.
    I personally think it will have the opposite effect and we could lose more hunters as a result. Look at it from this perspective, many people travel to hunt the opening day and most of the once a year hunters are traveling to a hunting camp away from home. They travel Friday, spend the weekend hanging out with the guys then hunt Monday and Tuesday. For them spending the weekend at deer camp is most of the reason they hunt and makes up for only getting a shot at a deer every couple years.

By moving the opener to Saturday they are now rushing up Friday and trying to get everything done and ready for the opener that afternoon. After they hunt on Saturday and see nothing then many will pack it up and head home Sunday. Without the fun of hanging with the guys for the weekend to offset the lack of good hunting after a year or two they may decide that it is no longer worth it to make the trip and hang it up. While that may not sound like an issue to you the game commission needs people like that who buy a license and don’t kill deer to offset their costs and keep hunter numbers stable.

Quote Originally Posted by CMP703006 View Post
    I personally think it will have the opposite effect and we could lose more hunters as a result. Look at it from this perspective, many people travel to hunt the opening day and most of the once a year hunters are traveling to a hunting camp away from home. They travel Friday, spend the weekend hanging out with the guys then hunt Monday and Tuesday. For them spending the weekend at deer camp is most of the reason they hunt and makes up for only getting a shot at a deer every couple years.

By moving the opener to Saturday they are now rushing up Friday and trying to get everything done and ready for the opener that afternoon. After they hunt on Saturday and see nothing then many will pack it up and head home Sunday. Without the fun of hanging with the guys for the weekend to offset the lack of good hunting after a year or two they may decide that it is no longer worth it to make the trip and hang it up. While that may not sound like an issue to you the game commission needs people like that who buy a license and don’t kill deer to offset their costs and keep hunter numbers stable.
    I see people traveling to camp mostly on Saturday and Sunday. Then they drink beer. Actually most now seem to wait until the first Saturday(currently) so they can hunt doe.
    I see lots of empty camps the first week.

Changing the day will mostly help those that hunt locally, which IMO far outweigh those with a hunting camp. I bet 90% of hunters only hunt the first day, and there is a small percentage that own camps and take off multiple days. Certainly not young people, which is who we need.

Oh CRap ! I did not know I could not hunt on Sundays Officer ?And I thought all PGC Officers were also off on Sundays ?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I see people traveling to camp mostly on Saturday and Sunday. Then they drink beer. Actually most now seem to wait until the first Saturday(currently) so they can hunt doe.
    I see lots of empty camps the first week.
    Yep, We’ll drive up Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving, hunt Monday then drive back home Monday night. Then head up for 2nd week when doe is in with a bunch of buddies.

Moving to Saturday would let me go up and hunt Saturday, relax and do some work on Sunday, then hunt Monday before heading home. Just like tons of people do for bear in PA.

I think every other season starts on a Saturday.

(Carbon County)

I'm all for it.
    More importantly, open up Sunday hunting. I get two days off a week, I'd like to be able to hunt both of those.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CMP703006 View Post

Move opener to Saturday, open up Sunday hunting, and take the same Monday and Tuesday off that you would have anyway

Moving opening day to Saturday will have zero negative impact if it comes with Sunday hunting.

Even without Sunday hunting, hunt Saturday, BS on Sunday, and hunt Monday-Tuesday.

(Bucks County)

Move it to Saturday BUT restrict the species to hunting the farm bureau Fudds, with those big rubber bulb-tipped target arrows.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345