I got out for about the last hour on Friday, came out of the woods around 5 to check a couple of fields where they feed. Didn't see any in the one field (where they were last week) but did see 8 in a corn field (where they WEREN'T last week). No shot possible, just too far away for me to feel comfortable with open sights and gathering darkness.

Saturday, it was about 15* and not a lot of snow so walking was pretty crunchy. I bumped one on the way in to my spot about 7:30 but just saw a body moving in the brush. About an hour later, I saw 6 more but I think they caught my scent and went back around the bench they way they had come. I went over the top of the ridge to the bench on the other side and spotted them in the brush. Using binoculars, I could see them plain as day but couldn't sort them out with the naked eyeball. There was a one horned buck in the bunch. On my way out of the woods, I saw 3 more running across the open field and into another patch of woods.

So the last 2 days of muzzleloader season, I saw 18 deer. That is more than twice the number I saw all during rifle season. Go figure. But still, it was fun and I figure just seeing deer during the flintlock season is at least a small victory.

Dale