Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Break out the black powder!

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Everything I've seen has been at night, too.

I was on a SGL yesterday, saw tracks, paths, and laydown areas but no deer.

Walked out of the woods about 5:15, packed up, and right when I turned the car on one walked across the road about 25yds away - at 5:30.

Oh well.
    I see you are in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh. Are you hunting local? I lived there for about 25 years.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I see you are in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh. Are you hunting local? I lived there for about 25 years.
    No, I tend to go to SGL 51 or 111. Want something local, but it's harder and harder to find people that'll let you rifle hunt.

If I have to take up bow hunting, I'll just hunt from my back deck. Only have to talk to 4 neighbors to get a safetyzone OK, and they've all given me preliminary.

I'd want to make up a quick "I give this person permission to hunt in my safetyzone" with initial slots under to be acknowledged.

I mostly hunt mornings. It ensures I get out before "something comes up."
    I've been out 5 mornings and saw deer each time.
    3 out of five were in range (<60yds).

Just nothing I'm interested in taking this year.

Stuck home sick from work. If it weren't for the sprints to the bathroom, I would go out this afternoon.

(Lackawanna County)

Finally going to out after work tomorrow afternoon before the rain hits with my new (and now functional!) flintlock. Had it at the range Monday morning (New Years Eve) and was getting halfway decent groups at ~50 yards

Question: If you guys don't take a deer on a certain day, do you shoot off the loaded powder and bullet, or do you empty it before you drive home so as not to clean the barrel every day? (With my inline muzzleloader I usually just undo the breech plug when I get back to the truck- takes two minutes but not so easy with the flintlock)
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post
    Finally going to out after work tomorrow afternoon before the rain hits with my new (and now functional!) flintlock. Had it at the range Monday morning (New Years Eve) and was getting halfway decent groups at ~50 yards

Question: If you guys don't take a deer on a certain day, do you shoot off the loaded powder and bullet, or do you empty it before you drive home so as not to clean the barrel every day? (With my inline muzzleloader I usually just undo the breech plug when I get back to the truck- takes two minutes but not so easy with the flintlock)
    Leave it loaded unless the load is suspect (wet). I just empty the pan, frizzen forward, and fully uncocked. No worries.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrillNFill View Post

Leave it loaded , empty the pan and take a half a toothpick and stick it in the the flash hole to keep out any moisture the old timers used a feather quill of suitable size

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    Leave it loaded , empty the pan and take a half a toothpick and stick it in the the flash hole to keep out any moisture the old timers used a feather quill of suitable size
    Interesting loaded chamber indicator. Makes sense.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lackawanna County)

Has anyone else been out this week sparking their flints?

Was only able to go out about 2 hours last Saturday due to heavy rains, today I worked until 2 and was in the brush from 3-5, didn't see anything either time but I did freeze my rear off today in 14* weather. Planning on going before dawn tomorrow to get an early start on the final day, I'm hoping to stay out as long as possible/as is necessary (haha) but it's going to be downright frigid where I want to go in Pike County.

We'll see how it turns out!
    Last edited by DrillNFill; January 11th, 2019 at 11:14 PM.
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

I am heading out tomorrow solo. Low teens in the morning with a good 8 to 10 in layer of snow. Going to still hunt into the wind down a creek bottom with lots of fresh tree tops from a late summer logging job. Not the ideal situation, but its better than doing chores. I have a commitment in the evening so I can't hunt the afternoon. Last chance for a sausage doe. Good luck boys

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast