Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Officer involved shooting!

Waiting for the 24/7 mass media campaign.
    Wait, he was white,................never mind.
    http://www.goerie.com/news/20181221/...om-court-dates

Posted Dec 21, 2018 at 12:01 AM
    Updated at 4:47 AM

Free on bail, Keith Hawley failed to appear at multiple court hearings during the fall.

Keith A. Hawley was due in Erie County Court on Dec. 5 to enter pleas in two of his pending criminal cases.

He didn’t show.

Nor did he show on Aug. 30, or Oct. 1, when he had earlier opportunities to enter pleas in the cases, court records show.

Hawley, who was free on bail, had active bench warrants in all three of his criminal cases as of Wednesday, when he was fatally shot during an encounter with undercover Pennsylvania State Police troopers.

The 27-year-old Union City man had racked up a list of charges, including aggravated assault, during the first half of 2018 and failed to show for multiple court hearings. He was able to remain free, court records show, after paying a total of $750 toward his bail.

A judge reduced his bail from $25,000 in his most serious criminal case. State police charged that Hawley assaulted two relatives, punching one woman in the head and striking another in the arm with a metal pry bar, at a Kimball Hill Road residence on May 14.

He faced a first-degree felony count of aggravated assault, among other charges, and was held in the Erie County Prison on $25,000 bond.

Related content
    Probe ongoing in officer-involved shooting in Union City
    December 21, 2018
    Man dead in officer-involved shooting in Union City
    December 20, 2018
    Hawley remained in the prison for about six weeks after the May incident, until Erie County Judge Daniel Brabender reduced his bond to 10 percent of $5,000 at a hearing on July 10.

Hawley posted the $500 the next day. His lawyer, Assistant Public Defender John Bonanti, had requested the bond reduction.

“Defendant requests a reasonable bond reduction in light of the fact that he has not been in trouble with the law or the Court since 2012, he currently has a place to live with his family ... and is currently employed,” Bonanti wrote in his motion.

Erie County District Attorney Jack Daneri said Thursday that his office opposed the request to reduce Hawley’s bond.

“We opposed any reduction to the $25,000 straight cash and over the commonwealth’s objection it was reduced to $5,000 ten percent,” Daneri said.

Just over two weeks after Hawley posted the $500 bail, he was facing new charges, records show. Erie police charged Hawley with possession of drug paraphernalia and public drunkenness after he was found in a vehicle in the 400 block of West Eighth Street on July 26, showing signs of “inhalant abuse” and smelling strongly of WD-40, according to the criminal complaint.

Hawley had also been charged with driving under the influence in February. A state police trooper found Hawley inside a vehicle that was stopped in the middle of Stateline Road, in Wayne Township, on the afternoon of Feb. 24, according to charging documents.

Hawley was unconscious inside the vehicle and was disoriented and lethargic when he woke up, the trooper wrote. Hawley was charged with having morphine and fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid, in his system at the time of the traffic stop.

Despite his run-in with law enforcement in late July, Hawley remained free on bail, court records show.

Bench warrants were issued for his arrest when he failed to show in court for plea hearings in the aggravated assault and DUI cases in August and October.

Hawley was picked up on the bench warrants in early October. At his bench warrant review hearing on Oct. 11, Senior Erie County Judge Ernest J. DiSantis Jr. continued Hawley’s bail at $500 in the aggravated assault case and set bail at 10 percent of $2,500 in the DUI case, according to court records.

Hawley paid the additional $250 on Oct. 11 and signed a form promising to appear at all future court proceedings.

On Oct. 22, he failed to appear for his formal arraignment in the drug paraphernalia case. A bench warrant was issued after Hawley again failed to appear at his rescheduled arraignment on Nov. 2.

He also did not show up on Dec. 5, when he was scheduled to enter pleas in the aggravated assault and DUI cases. Judge John Garhart issued new bench warrants when Hawley failed to appear.

Hawley was never picked up on the new warrants. Hawley was fatally shot late Wednesday afternoon when, police said, Hawley pulled a gun and attempted to rob two undercover state police troopers inside a vehicle near a Dollar General store in Union City.

The troopers were attempting to conduct a controlled purchase of a suspected stolen chainsaw that had been listed for sale online, police said.

A second man, 30-year-old Robert S. Hull Jr., is in the Erie County Prison on $50,000 bond as he awaits prosecution on charges that he conspired with Hawley to rob the troopers.

Hawley had also been involved in the criminal justice system before his most recent spate of cases.

In 2011, when Hawley was 19, state police accused him of stealing another person’s truck from a party in LeBoeuf Township, getting the truck stuck as he drove it over a manmade bridge built out of pallets, and setting the truck on fire to remove his fingerprints from the interior.

Hawley pleaded guilty to a third-degree felony count of criminal mischief and received one to six months in prison, followed by four years of probation, court records show.

Hawley continued to collect criminal charges in the years that followed. His probation was revoked in 2013 and he was sentenced to another 11½ to 23 months in the Erie County Prison. At the same hearing, Hawley was sentenced to serve one to 10 months in prison for a misdemeanor charge that he forged signatures on checks that belonged to a family friend, according to court records.
    Real question, "Why the hell was this POS allowed to roam free?"
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Officer involved shooting!

I am not sure what his being white has to do with it. I don't often here about anyone getting shot in Erie county.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    I am not sure what his being white has to do with it. I don't often here about anyone getting shot in Erie county.
    You don't have a clue?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Carbon County)

Last edited by middlefinger; December 21st, 2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Lackawanna County)

So I grew up in union city and this family is all like this.

(Elk County)

Thank you PSP for removing one more POS. As for the judges....they should be removed from office for endangering the citizens of Erie County. They are the worse type of criminal. Reducing bail and turning a POS like this loose on the streets. Unfortunately there is no law governing the judges behavior.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You don't have a clue?
    Still not an answer to my question. So either give me a clue, or your statement is useless.
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

One thing is certain. He will not reoffend.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Still not an answer to my question. So either give me a clue, or your statement is useless.
    I think because police shooting black people is a narrative certain members of the left have decided to use in order to exacerbate race relations and prove that America is still racist. I assume something like that was Truckman's meaning behind that statement.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by littlefitz View Post
    I think because police shooting black people is a narrative certain members of the left have decided to use in order to exacerbate race relations and prove that America is still racist. I assume something like that was Truckman's meaning behind that statement.
    Yeah, pretty much. You can name several black criminals shot by the police, usually while attacking cops, yet name one white criminal shot by cops! The blacks get famous, their families basically hit the lottery, lots of cash for them.
    It becomes a 24/7 circus, trying to blame cops, and further the leftist agenda.
    BTW, there are 3 times as many whites shot as blacks!
    The most dangerous place in America is a "gun free" zone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast