Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Side Saddle or Bandelier Sling?

Picked up a 500 Tactical on sale. Interested in getting some opinions on Side Saddles or Bandelier Slings (sling that holds shot shells).

Obviously both have their individual pro's and con's but I think I am leaning more towards the Bandelier Sling. Cheaper, easier to install/uninstall, holds more rounds, etc. However, the side saddle is closer the chamber/bottom loading port and keeps the weight stationary on the shotgun as opposed to swinging around under the gun.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

(Washington County)

Default Re: Side Saddle or Bandelier Sling?

I went with shotgun cards and I am very satisfied with them. I got six round esstac cards from skd tactical.

Actually, I got seven round cards, but I realized they compromise my grip so I modified them to be six round, but they do sell factory six round cards.

I set up my pump gun to hold one card on the stock and one on the receiver. My auto-loader can hold a third card on the hand guard.

The best thing about these cards is that extra cards can be kept loaded and switched out on demand.

My father has a bandaleer on his pump gun and I don't find it to be very practical, swinging all over the place. Its best feature is looking cool.

(Lancaster County)

Definitely the side-saddle. The bandoleer looks cool, but not near as practical - save the bandoleer to wear across your chest if you want carry that many extra rounds,it will look cool, and distribute the weight more evenly.
    I have the side-saddle on my 500, and it works like a charm, the rounds stay within easy reach, and you know right where they are.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Definitely the side-saddle. The bandoleer looks cool, but not near as practical - save the bandoleer to wear across your chest if you want carry that many extra rounds,it will look cool, and distribute the weight more evenly.
    I have the side-saddle on my 500, and it works like a charm, the rounds stay within easy reach, and you know right where they are.
    I agree, for practical real world use the side saddle makes more sense.

(Montgomery County)

Side saddle on the gun. I keep a wearable bandoleer ready just in case though.

(Delaware County)

Side saddle, and put the shells in "up side down", so that when you've got the shotgun turned over for loading, the shells or "right side up"
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I got seven round cards, but I realized they compromise my grip so I modified them to be six round, but they do sell factory six round cards ...
    If you're chopping something like this down, heat up a dollar store knife on the stove top until it turns orange and cut the unwanted material off. It saves you from having to use a lighter to harden the edges and cuts a straighter, cleaner edge than scissors. I put a piece of wood under whatever I'm cutting, line the knife up and press down.

(Beaver County)

Use a forearm shell holder or a dedicated MOLLE chest rig if you really want to carry extra shells but the sling is the last place I would try to put them. Get a side saddle for on the gun though. Those aren't expensive unless you buy Mesa Tactical. I prefer the elastic type too. I make my own but Esstac and SOE are good too.