Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default My First PA Encounter with a Cop (?)

So, I take my 2-year old daughter up to Lancaster today to visit the outlet stores; today I decided to conceal, just because of the clothing I wore. My first stop is in Gymboree to pick up a couple of things for my child -- I get them and pay and, when I pulled out my wallet to pay, my shirt must've caught on the grip of my pistol.

In any case, I head up a bit to the Bean store to return a shirt my wife had gotten in the wrong size. While I'm looking for my size, I notice I'm being observed by a security officer who's carrying a revolver. I shake it off, make the exchange, then browse around a bit more and wind up buying another outfit. I leave and make a quick third stop up to Bass and see nothing I like. I leave the store and head down the walkway in the direction of my car... That's when I saw the guard again.

He steps into the middle of the sidewalk with his arm out in a manner someone would if they were going to tell them a secret. I know what's coming, so I figure I'd humor him at the very least and engage in a discussion. So I stop and he puts his hand on my shoulder -- this kind of sends a red flag for me since 1) I'm carrying and 2) I have my daughter in my stroller. So, I take a step away from him to put some distance between us.

Him: Excuse me, sir... are you carrying?

Me: Yes.

Him: (pause) Do you have a license?

Me: I don't need a license to open carry (pre-programmed response).

Him: You do need one to conceal.

Me: (I look down and remember I'm concealing, and roll my eyes). Yes, I have my LTCF.

*pause while he looks at me expectantly*

Him: Can I see it?

Me: Are you with the police?

Him: Yes.

Me: *looking at his rent-a-cop uniform* A police officer?

Him: Yes.

Me: Law Enforcement? May I see your badge?

Him: It's right here. *He shows me the badge attached to his jacket that reads "SECURITY GUARD"* I tried not to chuckle.

Me: That's not law enforcement identification.

Him: Well... I'm off-duty. Look, she was worried and called in the concern, as law enforcement, we have to follow up, right? (I think he may have been using those pronouns to probe if I was an officer as well). In Lancaster, at least in this county, you need a conceal license...

Me: (And he's a cop?) No, there's a Uniform Firearms Act in Pennsylvania, so whatever the counties may have enacted are...

Him: Right, I know. So, may I see your license?

Me: No.

Him: Well, then you're trespassing, and I can call the police and have them...

Me: (Thought he was a cop?!) No, you can ask me to leave the premises and if I refuse, THEN you can have me arrested for criminal trespassing. And I'll gladly leave unless you're holding me here...

Him: No, not at all.

Me: Well, I have no intention of showing you any identification unless you're willing to provide me with your law enforcement ID.

Him: Well.... You're free to go, then.

So, I don't know what the deal is here -- if he really WAS an officer, he retains all of his powers of arrest, so I don't know why he'd have to call the police. I don't know if I'm more ticked off at the rent-a/real cop or the merchant who stuck her nose in where it didn't belong, like a father with his two-year old daughter buying leggings and a turtleneck in 2T was a threat.

Annoying. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Wynder; October 5th, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Typo fix.
    Rob/Wynder
    Delaware Open Carry, Founder
    http://www.deloc.org/

(Butler County)

Default Re: My First PA Encounter with a Cop (?)

Yea, i got some thoughts.

First off good job.

Second, id be calling that mall to find out if in fact they do employ off duty officers, more specifically if this guy is an officer, and if not i would inform them about the actions of their security attempting to impersonate police.

(Northampton County)

Was this Mall Ninja tacticooled out?

Congrats on a nice day spent shopping with the little one. If you had bought a 3T turtleneck you'd probably be in front of the Food Court judge right now.
    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/amamruoy/sigline-1-1-1-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Scrumpyjack View Post
    Was this Mall Ninja tacticooled out?
    Actually, no -- he was an older guy... maybe late 40's, early-50's. He *could've* be a police officer, at least with regards to look, but he seemed more on the nice side. I almost felt bad arguing for my privacy until I reminded myself he kept lying to me.

Congrats on a nice day spent shopping with the little one. If you had bought a 3T turtleneck you'd probably be in front of the Food Court judge right now.
    Alright, you made me spit out the Goldfish I was eating when I read this, ROFL!
    Rob/Wynder

(Cumberland County)

good job

as mentioned i would find out if he is a cop or not if not. i would have him arrested for impersonating a police officer.and let the mall know what kind of idiots they have on staff.

(Luzerne County)

I very seriously doubt he was a true law enforcement officer.

This was at the Rockville Outlets in Lancaster, PA... I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't hire off-duty cops, especially since he was carrying. I'll drop them a note, though to make sure.
    Rob/Wynder

(Lycoming County)

Good job, but I would contact the mall and find out if he is LEO. If not have him arrested for impersonating an officer.
    “It's not a gun control problem; it's a cultural control problem.” Bob Barr

"I have a love interest in every one of my films - a gun." Arnold Schwarzenegger

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by CPratt View Post
    Good job, but I would contact the mall and find out if he is LEO. If not have him arrested for impersonating an officer.
    This is good advice, impersonating a police officer is a crime, and he has no right to pressure you with legal authority due to a status he does not have. That's dangerous, and if he did it to you, what else is he doing when he pretends to be a cop?

Some of the mall security guard types are indeed not right in the head and couldn't make it as an actual LEO in my experience. They play out dangerous fantasies, I wouldn't let that one go. If he truly was a cop, then he's got no problems on that front, but if he isn't...

You really should have it investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post
    good job

as mentioned i would find out if he is a cop or not if not. i would have him arrested for impersonating a police officer.and let the mall know what kind of idiots they have on staff.
    +1 for the encounter

I'd have called the 'real' cops and had them deal with his impersonating them routine, which of course would have been recorded on my voice recorder. I can't see any off duty cop carrying a revolver in Lancaster. too close to York
    Last edited by tdyoung58; October 5th, 2008 at 03:50 PM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast