Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: .308 rifle that runs steel cased

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    I don't do it anymore, since I have a decent stockpile of ZQI/MKE brass cased, but my PTR91 ran steel cased ammo just fine. You won't find a gun with cheaper mags too.
    I’m quoting TooBigToFit because it’s my advise also. For the same reasons. Check out mag prices. Fluted chamber made to float cases out. Rifle prices are great. Your accuracy and distance requirements are calling it by name.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    I’m quoting TooBigToFit because it’s my advise also. For the same reasons. Check out mag prices. Fluted chamber made to float cases out. Rifle prices are great. Your accuracy and distance requirements are calling it by name.
    I don’t know much about H&K roller lock rifles or fluted chambers. If I had to guess I would have figured the opposite regarding steel cased Ammunition. I’m intrigued now.

(Lancaster County)

Yep ptr or even the newer c308 by century. Both my 8.5" sbr and my full size eat steady diets of sterl caused ammo along with a bunch of the plastic training ammo. They can be hard on brass especially thin cases "hunting" ammo with heavy bullet weights

(Bucks County)

An auto loading rifle in 308 is not cheap. So get what you like.........and don't worry about saving a few cents per shot.

The days of cheap surplus blasting ammo are well over . Crappy steel cased ammo is only 10-20 cents a round cheaper than the cheapest brass cased reloadable rounds. But a fired reloadable brass case is worth 10-20 cents. So pick up your brass and sell it. Or better yet, save it and when you get enough learn to reload. It wouldn't take many reloaded rounds to pay for a basic Lee starter press setup. And the rounds you make will likely be more accurate. After that you can shoot all you want for less than 1/2 the cost of the cheap stuff.

Do you really want to only shoot mediocre ammo?

(Beaver County)

I got a 90's vintage M1A amd all I've ever fed it was steel cased Wolf ammo.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    An auto loading rifle in 308 is not cheap. So get what you like.........and don't worry about saving a few cents per shot.

The days of cheap surplus blasting ammo are well over . Crappy steel cased ammo is only 10-20 cents a round cheaper than the cheapest brass cased reloadable rounds. But a fired reloadable brass case is worth 10-20 cents. So pick up your brass and sell it. Or better yet, save it and when you get enough learn to reload. It wouldn't take many reloaded rounds to pay for a basic Lee starter press setup. And the rounds you make will likely be more accurate. After that you can shoot all you want for less than 1/2 the cost of the cheap stuff.

Do you really want to only shoot mediocre ammo?
    See now you're tempting me to get into reloading.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillylou View Post
    Man......Ain't no one got time for that !!
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillylou View Post
    Probably not for this thread but I don't know how anyone can shoot anything but .22's or 9mm and not reload.

Figure about 1/2 price for the most common rounds like 223, 30-06 and 308. Even more for the rest.

BUT! I always tell people thy will not save money reloading..........They will just bring a bigger bag of ammo to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Probably not for this thread but I don't know how anyone can shoot anything but .22's or 9mm and not reload.

Figure about 1/2 price for the most common rounds like 223, 30-06 and 308. Even more for the rest.

BUT! I always tell people thy will not save money reloading..........They will just bring a bigger bag of ammo to the range.
    I dont have time to reload for plinking ammo especially using military casings, making sure they aren't Berdan , breaking decapper pins, removing crimp etc... here's a 308 sub $600.https://www.classicfirearms.com/cent...rifle-ri2253x/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast