Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default What Can You Tell Me About These Two Win. Model 12's?

I got these two Winchester Model 12's from my father. One is a 16 Ga 2 3/4" Full. Serial #602401 with patent dates. The last patent date is 7/22/1913.

The other is Model 12 12 Ga 3" Super X Full. Serial #1320504 no patent information.

We used to shoot clay pigeons and pheasants with them about 50 years ago. They both appear to function well and the barrels look clean. Both show a little wear but no serious nicks, gouges or rust. The 16 Ga looks to have a little patina back on the action but no pitting. I know what 12 and 16 Ga are but don't know how common the 16's are. I figure that the 2 3/4":3" is the shell length that they take but don't know if that is a maximum length or if that's what they're confined to and I'm pretty sure that the 'full' refers to the choke but I won't claim to know what the choke means. And I have no clue what the 'Super X' is all about.

And here's a not so great picture of them.

Attachment 113185
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Default Re: What Can You Tell Me About These Two Win. Model 12's?

The designation of 2 3/4" and 3" means that's the maximum shell length for the chamber on each of the guns. Full mean full choke. It is an unwise man that shoots slugs out of a full choke. Modified should be the maximum choke for slugs. Model 12's can be collectible and valuable but it was a regular production model for many years so as it is with other high production number guns the grade and condition will determine the value to someone if you decide to sell them. The 16 gauge has gone in an out of favor many times over the years. It all depends on the current favorability of 16 Gauge on how much the gun is desirable to today's grade of collector. Reference for serial data. Looks like 1961 was a peak production year.

http://proofhouse.com/win/index.html
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: What Can You Tell Me About These Two Win. Model 12's?

2 3/4" & 3" are chamber length...think 22lr and sr.
    you can use shorter but not longer shells than the listed length.
    shotguns can be choked down at the "muzzle" to create a tighter pattern, and thusly a longer range.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....