Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default My first retro build, M16A1 603

I like to collect Vietnam era military items and decided I needed a M16A1 clone to go with my complete Vietnam era M7 bayonet collection. When I ordered the receivers they claimed a 6-8 month wait time, it was one year and three weeks till I received them but they do look good.

Other then the receivers, the inner parts, barrel, and buffer tube are reproduction or modern parts. The furniture, flash hider/lock washer, magazine, and soon coming rear sight are all Vietnam era USGI parts. I originally bought an after market rear sight assembly but it was junk. The sight screw would not thread into the aperture so the USGI assembly is on order and will look better anyway.
    Last edited by SWIGIN; November 30th, 2018 at 09:14 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: My first retro build, M16A1 603

Quote Originally Posted by SWIGIN View Post
    I like to collect Vietnam era military items and decided I needed a M16A1 clone to go with my complete Vietnam era M7 bayonet collection. When I ordered the receivers they claimed a 6-8 month wait time, it was one year and three weeks till I received them but they do look good.

Other then the receivers, the inner parts, barrel, and buffer tube are reproduction or modern parts. The furniture, flash hider/lock washer, magazine, and soon coming rear sight are all Vietnam era USGI parts. I originally bought an after market rear sight assembly but it was junk. The sight screw would not thread into the aperture so the USGI assembly is on order and will look better anyway.
    Nice

(Allegheny County)

That's cool.

I wouldn't know the subtle differences in uppers/lowers enough to know what's legit and what's reproduction, or just "similar".
    I thought those retro rifles that Brownell's came out with were pretty cool too.

Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Emptymag; November 30th, 2018 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Ooops. Brownell's - not Midway

OP Great looking build hope it runs as good as it looks.

I’ve wanted a GAU-5 Cline for sometime.

Troy makes the closest reproduction.

https://myservicerifle.com/product/troy-gau-5aa/

Bogey approved.. Love that look.

(Lancaster County)

Nice work SWIGIN, I have an SP1 and carried an M16A1 for quite a few years, I'm a huge fan of the A1 set up ,not sure if the A2 was an improvement. Once your sights are zeroed in correct leave them alone !!! saw too many grunts that had to fuck with that elevation drum just because it was there and screwed their scores up terribly

I wish A1 uppers where easier to come by,Brownells is answering the call, but often sold out ...Listening PSA ?... Im itching to build a Colt 653 repro like i've been issued, I have one close using a Bushy 14.5 upper A2 upper but not authentic enough for me

Its funny how the trend seems to be slowly going away from the shitty quad rails,piston uppers and clamp on junk to the keep it simple age of the A1. Lightweight, fast and simple and doesn't need batteries

I bought my 11 yr old daughter a S&W M&P 1522 with a red dot, this was her first step up from a Savage Rascal 22 with peeps, she insisted on canning the optic and mounting conventional irons

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    OP Great looking build hope it runs as good as it looks.

I’ve wanted a GAU-5 Cline for sometime.

Troy makes the closest reproduction.

https://myservicerifle.com/product/troy-gau-5aa/
    Damn you Hodgie ! had to show me that GAU-5, you may have just become the Grinch that stole my kids Christmas LOL

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Nice work SWIGIN, I have an SP1 and carried an M16A1 for quite a few years, I'm a huge fan of the A1 set up ,not sure if the A2 was an improvement. Once your sights are zeroed in correct leave them alone !!! saw too many grunts that had to fuck with that elevation drum just because it was there and screwed their scores up terribly

I wish A1 uppers where easier to come by,Brownells is answering the call, but often sold out ...Listening PSA ?... Im itching to build a Colt 653 repro like i've been issued, I have one close using a Bushy 14.5 upper A2 upper but not authentic enough for me

Its funny how the trend seems to be slowly going away from the shitty quad rails,piston uppers and clamp on junk to the keep it simple age of the A1. Lightweight, fast and simple and doesn't need batteries

I bought my 11 yr old daughter a S&W M&P 1522 with a red dot, this was her first step up from a Savage Rascal 22 with peeps, she insisted on canning the optic and mounting conventional irons

That was my plan with the sights, once sighed in scope, iron , whatever I tend to just use Kentucky windage if needed.

I agree also with the KISS approach and quad rails were the only reason it took me so long to get into ARs. I hate those things and until these newer slim rails came out I never considered one.

(Wayne County)

This is cool... Just like my Action Jackson used to have.
    Black Olives Matter !

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Damn you Hodgie ! had to show me that GAU-5, you may have just become the Grinch that stole my kids Christmas LOL
    Here's a great overview.

Ian from Inrange TV also ran this rifle through several 2Gun matches including a Vietnam Era tribute match and it ran very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast