Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default NFA Trust Question

I purchased one of those boilerplate NFA trusts over black friday. I had it set up with myself and my brother as trustees. However I spoke to my FFL while I was picking up a gun who told me that ALL members of a trust needed to get fingerprinted for EVERY purchase. Is that the case? I was under the impression it was a one time deal unless the legal status of a trustee changed. If we both need to get printed and ID every single time we get an NFA item that's going to be huge hassle and one my brother likely won't tolerate.

I still have a few days I can get the trust language changed for free, so if this is the case I'll need to have it amended.

(Berks County)

Default Re: NFA Trust Question

What is the purpose of the trust? Is your brother interested in owning NFA stuff? Your best bet would be to speak with a lawyer on it and they can guide you based on what your intentions are.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

The purpose was for both of us to have access to any NFA items either of us will possess without needing to physically present with the item at all times. So like I could borrow his suppressor and he could take my SBR to the range.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    I purchased one of those boilerplate NFA trusts over black friday. I had it set up with myself and my brother as trustees. However I spoke to my FFL while I was picking up a gun who told me that ALL members of a trust needed to get fingerprinted for EVERY purchase. Is that the case? I was under the impression it was a one time deal unless the legal status of a trustee changed. If we both need to get printed and ID every single time we get an NFA item that's going to be huge hassle and one my brother likely won't tolerate.

I still have a few days I can get the trust language changed for free, so if this is the case I'll need to have it amended.
    Yes, everytime you purchase an NFA item on your trust every responsble person on the trust must submit fingerprints and photographs.

From ATF website:

All individuals identified as “Responsible Persons” are required to submit fingerprint cards and
    photographs. In addition, each “Responsible Person” is required to complete the Form 5320.23,
    National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire. (See instruction 2 d. (5) on the Forms
    1, 4, and 5.)
    Fingerprint cards and the Form 5320.23 with photograph attached must be provided upon every
    application submission.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Yes, everytime you purchase an NFA item on your trust every responsble person on the trust must submit fingerprints and photographs.

From ATF website:

All individuals identified as “Responsible Persons” are required to submit fingerprint cards and
    photographs. In addition, each “Responsible Person” is required to complete the Form 5320.23,
    National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire. (See instruction 2 d. (5) on the Forms
    1, 4, and 5.)
    Fingerprint cards and the Form 5320.23 with photograph attached must be provided upon every
    application submission.
    Well I guess that settles it. Thank you.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    Well I guess that settles it. Thank you.
    I see you are in the Pittsburgh area. Contact CDS Arms if you have any other questions, they mentored us when we first got started and they really do know their NFA stuff.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(York County)

This was a change too the law a year or two ago. I purchased and received two suppressors on my trust prior to the law change. It was a simple prior to the change.