Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Laser zero distance?

Just put on a Streamlight TLR 8 on my M&P full size to be used mostly for home defense. My question is what distance to zero it. If I zero at the "standard" 7 yards then the dot is hidden beneath the sights at 5 yards. If the threat is at 10 yards then the dot is only a couple inches high which is acceptable. So I'm thinking to set zero at 5 yards and if the threat is closer, well point and shoot becomes the quicker answer. Of course it does have a very bright light also but in a stealth situation maybe best to stay dark. Any thoughts?
    If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Laser zero distance?

All depends on the situation at the moment. In this light-polluted world, it's pretty hard to be in a place where there is no light.

I would have no concern that the dot is close-in below the sights. You're not going to be using the sights and laser, you're going to be point-shooting at that distance anyway (assuming you are pre-planning for an accounter).

The laser and/or light needs to have a pressure switch, giving a choice of use/don't use.

Always keep in mind, at night or in dark, the muzzle flash will temporarily destroy whatever night vision you had prior to flash. Close at least one eye before firing.

ETA: re-considering the original question, determine a point-blank poi that will serve the near and far distances you anticipate. I would suggest a range where you can set the best adjustment that results in acceptable poi at 7 yards and 25 yards (for example). I think you'll find it not critical.

Disclaimer: IANACI
    Last edited by Bang; December 13th, 2018 at 05:41 PM.

(Bucks County)

200 yards. If you can hit man-size target at 200 yards, then shooting center mass at 7yards will yield a direct hit in the bridge of the nose. Yup, 200 yards.

(Wyoming County)

I don't mean to sound like a smart ass.

I spent 25+ years as a cop/soldier and didn't learn nearly as much as I think I've learnt from this site and others now that I have a passion for shooting.

If you lose the laser beneath your sight then I am guessing that you are shooting with 1 eye. This is a 25 year old habit that I too am trying to correct. Unless you have a condition or some circumstance which requires that you shoot with only one eye, I humbly recommend trying to shoot with both eyes. You won't lose that dot and there are other benefits
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

Humbly? Hey! You takin a shot at me??

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Humbly? Hey! You takin a shot at me??
    Who me? what did I say? I am confused - I was talking to OP my bad
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Bucks County)

wrong thread...

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Knightshift View Post
    Just put on a Streamlight TLR 8 on my M&P full size to be used mostly for home defense. My question is what distance to zero it. If I zero at the "standard" 7 yards then the dot is hidden beneath the sights at 5 yards. If the threat is at 10 yards then the dot is only a couple inches high which is acceptable. So I'm thinking to set zero at 5 yards and if the threat is closer, well point and shoot becomes the quicker answer. Of course it does have a very bright light also but in a stealth situation maybe best to stay dark. Any thoughts?
    Iron sights slightly above the barrel and a laser arguably 2" below the barrel pose opposite sighting issues. At useful pistol/laser ranges, the under-slung laser can only cross a pistol bullet's trajectory once while iron sights can have two crossings.

Since the laser and the iron sights will never be used simultaneously, it wouldn't matter to me that at some range the laser dot is "hidden" by sights. When using the laser, the iron sights are not in my LOS. Put dot on target and squeeze trigger. {BTW, the other advantage of lasers is you need not have your face behind the pistol, so in many cases the light or the laser doesn't necessarily give away a useful position. OTOH, it can momentarily blind both you and the intruder.)

I sighted mine halfway between the distance at which I'd point and shoot, and the longest distance I expect a home defense pistol to be used (indoors). That minimizes the sighting error at all expected distances. Would be nice if you could do that with factory iron sights lol.

JMO, YMMV.

(Carbon County)

sighted mine with a bore sight at 25 ft
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Susquehanna County)

What caliber is your M&P? If 9mm or .40 zero for 25 or 50 yards and you'll be nearly flat from muzzle to zero range.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".