Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 30-06 hunting rifle for pops.

Take a look at Howa rifles. Many calibers to pick from, many styles and weights.

I love Remington, but like others have said, there are probably better rifles for the money now a days. It's good that he's not hung up on caliber, I know some of the older guys that I hunt with won't consider anything but a 30-06. If you're looking for a lighter weight rifle, it makes sense to also switch to a smaller caliber(especially if it's only used for whitetails). My next rifle will probably be something in the 6.5 creedmore or 7mm-08. My wife has a Browning Xbolt in 7mm-08 and it's an awesome little rifle.

(Erie County)

Remington 700 adl are very reasonably priced.

Thanks again all for the suggestions. I've spent the last few hours reading and reviewing and decided on a Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. I think it will give a good balance of lightness and shootability as he ages.

Thoughts?
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Thanks again all for the suggestions. I've spent the last few hours reading and reviewing and decided on a Tikka T3x Lite in 6.5 Creedmoor. I think it will give a good balance of lightness and shootability as he ages.

Thoughts?
    Great rifle,.excellent round, and a damn good son.
    Hopefully you can get some good memories on some hunts with your dad and that rifle soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Great rifle,.excellent round, and a damn good son.
    Hopefully you can get some good memories on some hunts with your dad and that rifle soon .
    Thank you!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post

Thoughts?
    I think you have come to a good conclusion . . . based on your preferences . . . which may not necessarily match your dad's.

Might be worth taking some steps to make sure the rifle you choose is something he actually wants.

Either the 308 or the 6.5CM have lower recoil and therefore would allow for more accuracy than a 30-06 under normal hunting conditions. They would allow for a lighter rifle without jacking up the recoil to longer-barreled, heavier 30-06 levels. Relative ammo costs for each caliber aren't likely a big consideration, but may also be worth worth considering.

But your dad may want a 30-06. And given his age and history, maybe a Remington.

You know him best . . . just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboxer View Post
    I think you have come to a good conclusion . . . based on your preferences . . . which may not necessarily match your dad's.

Might be worth taking some steps to make sure the rifle you choose is something he actually wants.

Either the 308 or the 6.5CM have lower recoil and therefore would allow for more accuracy than a 30-06 under normal hunting conditions. They would allow for a lighter rifle without jacking up the recoil to longer-barreled, heavier 30-06 levels. Relative ammo costs for each caliber aren't likely a big consideration, but may also be worth worth considering.

But your dad may want a 30-06. And given his age and history, maybe a Remington.

You know him best . . . just a thought.
    Yep those steps were taken. Mom said he isn't hung up on caliber or brand.

(Chester County)

I am a big fan of all things 6.5mm. Whether it be 6.5x55, 260 Remington, Creedmoor, etc. If I were buying another deer rifle today, I'd like for something in one of those calibers. I wouldn't mind an old M70 in the Swede cartridge, or something built up on a Mauser action.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a Tikka T3 lite in .338 wm . A limb saver recoil pad calmed it down a lot. It shoots all ammo good enough for deer hunting in Pennsylvania. It took some work to develop a sub MOA load for it. Being that it has such a lite weight barrel the shots start walking if the barrel gets hot. I just let the barrel cool between strings. Something to keep in mind when zeroing.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast