Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Optics - Need Info on Short Distance Options - AR15

Here's a quick and dirty "review" of a few "less expensive" 1-4x options...
    https://rangetoreel.com/1-4x-scopes/

The Monstrum Tactical is one I may have tried first, but didn't see it until after ordering the Crosman.
    For $75 shipped it's a great deal and has the "lever" for quick magnification and has nicer mounts.

(Allegheny County)

If anyone knows of a decent universal fit "cat tail/power change lever", let me know.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm having trouble finding info on AR15 optics suitable for "close range work".

I know that red dots are ideal for up close and even out to ranges that I'm not likely to need, but I must concede that my eyes are not what they used to be - maybe it's time to add magnification?

I've seen things like variable 3-9x40 "tactical" scopes as well as straight/non-variable 3x scopes.
    I have some basic understandings (I think) of scopes (3-9 is variable power from 3x to 9x), but on the whole, I don't know a lot because I never had any interest in them.

I'm sure I'll have more questions and I'm sure you'll need more info from me to advise properly, but ultimately, here's my question:

Is there a magnified option that can still be used "quickly", and "up close and personal" (like a red dot would be used) in addition to being useful for longer* shots?

*MY definition of "longer ranges" is "about 200 yards" since I can't see a time when I'll need to put a rifle into action at more than 100 yards.

Is a magnified optic of any use for shots 50 yards or less?

IMPORTANT: Cost IS a factor, so no point suggesting a $400 optic AND a $400 magnifier setup.
    Let's just say that I'm not gong to spend much more than $200 and even more likely not that much, unless I'm convinced it's worthwhile.
    I can get a decent red dot for $100-$150 and in the end, if magnification proves to be cost prohibitive, I'll just stick to a red dot.

Thanks in advance!
    I haven't read the whole thread so I may be completely off-base or there may be others who have commented the same. You want something "Quick". The biggest problem with "quick" and anything magnified is eye relief. If you want really quick and up-close, magnified is not the way to go. With a red dot you don't have to worry about maintaining eye relief or a good cheek weld and you can aim with both eyes open (better peripheral vision) and a small red dot is easier to see around than a magnified scope.
    My eyes are not as good as they used to be either, so on my short range AR I opted for a red dot with a circle dot reticle, the circle is a lot easier and quicker to pick up on. Holosun makes some decent examples in you price range that are small, light and have circle dot reticles, as well as other convenient features like auto wake and shutoff. For my HD AR I went with Holosun because it checked all the boxes for a fast short range optic.
    Last edited by ray h; December 18th, 2018 at 07:05 PM.
    The Hostler

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread so I may be completely off-base or there may be others who have commented the same. You want something "Quick". The biggest problem with "quick" and anything magnified is eye relief. If you want really quick and up-close, magnified is not the way to go. With a red dot you don't have to worry about maintaining eye relief or a good cheek weld.
    My eyes are not as good as they used to be either, so on my short range AR I opted for a red dot with a circle dot reticle, the circle is a lot easier and quicker to pick up on. Holosun makes some decent examples in you price range that are small, light and have circle dot reticles, as well as other convenient features like auto wake and shutoff. For my HD AR I went with Holosun because it checked all the boxes for a fast short range optic.
    Yeah, that's what I wasn't understanding initially - how it's possible to use a "scope" up close. I didn't realize 1-4 power scopes allowed for that.
    Gonna give it a try.

The only AR I would intentionally grab to use indoors is the pistol, which is equipped with a red dot.
    I'm more interested in outdoor use - but not long distance.

(Allegheny County)

Here's the CenterPoint Tactical 1-4x20mm scope I ordered.

Initial impressions:

Decent scope - worth the $58 (shipped) price.
    Quality seems better than NCStar.
    Reticle is sharper than the NCStar scope I have.
    Not true 1x - probably 1.5

I'll give it a try. If I like it, I'll save up and get a better unit and move this to another gun.

Now I need to either get a quick detach scope mount (so I can use back up iron sights) to replace the basic mount that was included, or add a set of 45 degree offset folding BUIS.

(Beaver County)

Lightbulb Re: Optics - Need Info on Short Distance Options - AR15

If you already have buis just get 2 pieces of 45 offset rails.

$4.99 each NCstar style

https://www.amazon.com/NcStar-Weaver.../dp/B01MSOR9IO
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Meh if its not going to be a serious defense rifle the who cares about buis.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    If you already have buis just get 2 pieces of 45 offset rails.

$4.99 each NCstar style

https://www.amazon.com/NcStar-Weaver.../dp/B01MSOR9IO
    Yes, this upper came with front and rear MBUS (which I removed since the rear is not usable with the scope), so this sounds like a pretty affordable solution.
    So long as they aren't too bulky/stick out too far.

Cheap enough to try even if they don't work out. Gonna look into this!

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Meh if its not going to be a serious defense rifle the who cares about buis.
    That was my first thought too.

What about a semi-serious defense rifle? LOL
    Of my 5.56 carbines, this one is the most "serious", so I'd like the option.

I sort of like the idea of FIXED offset 45 degree sights so that they are always available in case I find I can't get an immediate, clear view with the scope, BUT I don't like the idea of adding stuff that will "stick out" on the side - folding BUIS is my preference.

Missed this thread. Looks like you already ordered your scope. Was going to suggest the Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS scope. They have a refurb for sale for $175 right now. I have several on my guns and they work great for close up work and distance. Haven't found a better reticle yet.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678