Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Optics - Need Info on Short Distance Options - AR15

I'm having trouble finding info on AR15 optics suitable for "close range work".

I know that red dots are ideal for up close and even out to ranges that I'm not likely to need, but I must concede that my eyes are not what they used to be - maybe it's time to add magnification?

I've seen things like variable 3-9x40 "tactical" scopes as well as straight/non-variable 3x scopes.
    I have some basic understandings (I think) of scopes (3-9 is variable power from 3x to 9x), but on the whole, I don't know a lot because I never had any interest in them.

I'm sure I'll have more questions and I'm sure you'll need more info from me to advise properly, but ultimately, here's my question:

Is there a magnified option that can still be used "quickly", and "up close and personal" (like a red dot would be used) in addition to being useful for longer* shots?

*MY definition of "longer ranges" is "about 200 yards" since I can't see a time when I'll need to put a rifle into action at more than 100 yards.

Is a magnified optic of any use for shots 50 yards or less?

IMPORTANT: Cost IS a factor, so no point suggesting a $400 optic AND a $400 magnifier setup.
    Let's just say that I'm not gong to spend much more than $200 and even more likely not that much, unless I'm convinced it's worthwhile.
    I can get a decent red dot for $100-$150 and in the end, if magnification proves to be cost prohibitive, I'll just stick to a red dot.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Optics - Need Info on Short Distance Options - AR15

Your budget is going to kill you on this one EM....

(Dauphin County)

I've never been too big on scopes except for the Trijicon Acog 4X. Those are too high priced for my budget, so I don't have one. Here's one I've been eyeing for awhile though. Zero magnification but it allows for co-witnessing the iron sights, and it's under $200.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OT8WAQ...544667052&sr=1
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    Your budget is going to kill you on this one EM....
    Yeah. I mean, I have a firm grasp on the fact that you get what you pay for - I just don't have the option of getting spendy.
    If it's not in the cards, I'll just stick to the red dot until money isn't such an issue.

(Carbon County)

There are lots of great 1-6x options out there, most of which would fill your red dot role. However like jules said, your budget is going to get you a pile of garbage that I don't think you'll like much.

If I had the same constraints with budget, I'd stick with the red dots. If you could bring your budget up to the $3-400 range for an optic, there are some worthwhile contenders out there.

Magnified optics are mildly useful at your 50 yard line, but only if you're trying to shoot ragged holes in paper or tiny critters.

(Berks County)

PSA has or had sig romeo for 119 free ship. Add a flip to the side magnifier if you must.

Burris AR-322 with free fastfire3 is a great deal
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Montgomery County)

I believe I have your answer. Bushnell AR Optics "PCL" Throwdown. They can be had for under $200 and I've had good luck with mine. It's a FFP so when cranked to 1x the reticle shrinks to red-dot size. It can be then cranked to 4x and has a BDC reticle (which I happen to like alot). The change in magnification is quick because of the PCL (power change lever).

One more note: the illumination is not as bright as a true red dot can be. Also I've never tracked it, so I can't comment on the click accuracy. And the BDC distances are incorrect in some manuals (it's 100,300,400,500,600 not 100,200, etc). And I've never used it at truly long distances.
    Last edited by jthrelf; December 12th, 2018 at 10:34 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marketermac View Post
    There are lots of great 1-6x options out there, most of which would fill your red dot role. However like jules said, your budget is going to get you a pile of garbage that I don't think you'll like much.

If I had the same constraints with budget, I'd stick with the red dots. If you could bring your budget up to the $3-400 range for an optic, there are some worthwhile contenders out there.

Magnified optics are mildly useful at your 50 yard line, but only if you're trying to shoot ragged holes in paper or tiny critters.
    It would be for shooting holes in "bad people" sized targets - not tiny critters.

I've never had much interest in "bullseye" shooting or shooting over 100 yards.
    My stuff is all for plinking or personal defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Yeah. I mean, I have a firm grasp on the fact that you get what you pay for - I just don't have the option of getting spendy.
    If it's not in the cards, I'll just stick to the red dot until money isn't such an issue.
    I get it....believe me I get it.

(Allegheny County)

How "up close and personal" are you talking? for home protection? would a laser sight of some type work well for that?
    only ask because I'm kind of in the same boat with what to do with my AR pistol..

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast