Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Optics - Need Info on Short Distance Options - AR15

You just missed these with a free riser for 99.
    I've been down the cheap Chinese optic road and have a drawer full of broken/wont hold a zero junk. https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-2-moa...sh-buttons-fde

(Berks County)

Find a Sig Romeo 5 on sale (Seen them for $119). Great red dot.

(Allegheny County)

I think there's a guy here who started a "deals" thread. I should check that out!

Yeah, I'm familiar with most of the deals on decent red dots and it never hurts to hear about a good deal, but I'm more interested in learning about magnified optics.

Even if I can't afford something now, if I learn enough to determine that something I'm seeking actually exists, I may save up for it.

(but not at the tune of $600+ LOL! Ain't ever gonna happen unless I hit the lottery)

Honestly out to 50yd at a dinner plate you really dont need magnification. Marines use the 4x Acog out to 500yd at a body target. Check out ak operators union on YouTube he tests alot of scopes and red dots.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Honestly out to 50yd at a dinner plate you really dont need magnification. Marines use the 4x Acog out to 500yd at a body target. Check out ak operators union on YouTube he tests alot of scopes and red dots.
    A Marine with decent eyes can hit a 500 yd target with carry handle sights

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Well, sure.
    I'm not looking for magnification for "50 yards" - I'm looking for magnification for "up to 200-ish yards" that can STILL be used at 50 yards - or less. If that's possible.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    LOL! I have never really understood how this is possible. I don't think I can even see a target 300 yards away let alone hit one.

(Wyoming County)

I love a good optics thread.

EM from following your work and shooting your guns, I know you typically set up for close range, and in my humble opinion you can do everything you want with red dot with zero magnification. If you just want a little something extra my cents say look no further than a 1-4 or a fixed 1.5 or maybe a fixed 3. I know you are looking for affordable but I don't recall your spending cap.

From what I've heard, although Bushnell isn't usually equated with quality, the 1-4(with power control lever(PCL)) that somebody already mentioned does seem to get good reviews, as do their red dots.

The optics that really catch my attention right now are the Primary Arms optics with the ACSS reticle. This reticle is good enough that Trijicon has partnered with Primary Arms for use in Trigicon scopes (to me that says something).

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I find it affordable and it's on my want list. I don't even buy BUIS because I can't see them.

Primary Arms Cyclops ACSS 1x Prism Sight (Black):https://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms-...language=en_US

"It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    LOL! I have never really understood how this is possible. I don't think I can even see a target 300 yards away let alone hit one.
    Not just Marines, folks. I used to hit 100% out to 300m, and up to 65-70% out to 600m with irons. That said, I'm due for a new prescription...

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Well, sure.
    I'm not looking for magnification for "50 yards" - I'm looking for magnification for "up to 200-ish yards" that can STILL be used at 50 yards - or less. If that's possible.
    Yes it is very much so with the 1-4/1-6 scopes or with the fixed magnification offerings that PA or Burris offers with the etched reticles. Primary arms has ones starting at x2.5, x3, and x5 all with a very visible illuminated reticle. PSA finally shipped an order I placed on the 4th this morning for another Holosun this time it's a step down from my others with out the solar panel or the .65 moa Eotech reticle which I really like. However this one has the "shake awake" feature with auto shut down after 12 hours so set at a medium setting battery life should be 50k hours. I see very few complaints about this model and at $119.00 shipped it was worth it even if it doesn't work out to be exactly what I was looking for since I have a number of rifles it could be used on. I am most likely going to pick up the PA gen III x3 magnifier and mount and give that set up a whirl. I could go with a variable but all I really want is 1 and the 4 I have no use for the 2 and 3 in between and most 1-4 optics in my price range which is budget low are not going to be a true 1, they will most likely be heavier, and take up more real estate then the rds and magnifier.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast