Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Optics - Need Info on Short Distance Options - AR15

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I love a good optics thread.

EM from following your work and shooting your guns, I know you typically set up for close range, and in my humble opinion you can do everything you want with red dot with zero magnification. If you just want a little something extra my cents say look no further than a 1-4 or a fixed 1.5 or maybe a fixed 3. I know you are looking for affordable but I don't recall your spending cap.

From what I've heard, although Bushnell isn't usually equated with quality, the 1-4(with power control lever(PCL)) that somebody already mentioned does seem to get good reviews, as do their red dots.

The optics that really catch my attention right now are the Primary Arms optics with the ACSS reticle. This reticle is good enough that Trijicon has partnered with Primary Arms for use in Trigicon scopes (to me that says something).

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I find it affordable and it's on my want list. I don't even buy BUIS because I can't see them.

Primary Arms Cyclops ACSS 1x Prism Sight (Black):https://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms-...language=en_US

I agree about the optic conversations. This is one area where modern manufacturing tech and materials has really paid off and brought us much more affordable quality offerings as compared to what we had a decade ago. I remember when shooting high power 7 or 8 years ago everyone was always busting balls at the range "ohh your screwed since you did not spend 2-3x's more on your optic then your $1200.00 rifle." well unless your shooting teeny tiny groups from very far away or people on the battle field dug in a sniper hide those day's are pretty much over for the average shooter who wants to make hits out to 1000 yards accurately and consistently. I know there are still a good amount of people who resist this and wont budge on it, but the video on the internet doesn't lie, well at least all the time and neither do scores at the ranges and competitions.

I couldn't remember the name of the new PA offering you linked above but all the initial reviews kicked ass. The ACSS reticle is excellent in magnified optics for sure, I think it's useless in a standard red dot because it's so damn small and blurred together. Pair it with a magnifier and obviously your back in business. I would love to have one of their new 1-8 Platinum scopes with the ACSS but the $1300.00 price tag would get me shot.

That being said I better go check the lottery ticket my wife bought last night as I might be springing for a new optic set up and range day for all of us in this thread shortly.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 13th, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I love a good optics thread.

EM from following your work and shooting your guns, I know you typically set up for close range, and in my humble opinion you can do everything you want with red dot with zero magnification. If you just want a little something extra my cents say look no further than a 1-4 or a fixed 1.5 or maybe a fixed 3. I know you are looking for affordable but I don't recall your spending cap.

From what I've heard, although Bushnell isn't usually equated with quality, the 1-4(with power control lever(PCL)) that somebody already mentioned does seem to get good reviews, as do their red dots.

The optics that really catch my attention right now are the Primary Arms optics with the ACSS reticle. This reticle is good enough that Trijicon has partnered with Primary Arms for use in Trigicon scopes (to me that says something).

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but I find it affordable and it's on my want list. I don't even buy BUIS because I can't see them.

Primary Arms Cyclops ACSS 1x Prism Sight (Black):https://www.amazon.com/Primary-Arms-...language=en_US

I keep seeing "Prism" in my fumbling around. I really have no idea what that means.
    I just thought a red dot was a "red dot" and a "scope" has variable magnification and has crosshairs.

Like I said, I've never looked at "optics" before, so I don't know a whole lot about them.

I'm not sure what makes that Primary Arms "prism" any different than a standard red dot.
    I see that you can "focus" it, but what are you focusing if there's no magnification?

(Allegheny County)

By the way, I appreciate everyone's input.

It's refreshing to see a topic that relates to shooting that is actually getting some traffic/participation!

Also, I can't be the only one out here that doesn't have a firm grasp on all of this stuff, so I'm sure that this info posted is helping others too.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I keep seeing "Prism" in my fumbling around. I really have no idea what that means.
    I just thought a red dot was a "red dot" and a "scope" has variable magnification and has crosshairs.

Like I said, I've never looked at "optics" before, so I don't know a whole lot about them.

I'm not sure what makes that Primary Arms "prism" any different than a standard red dot.
    I see that you can "focus" it, but what are you focusing if there's no magnification?
    I'm not really sure of the mechanics either. I believe a "diopter" focus allows for differences between how your eye might see the image as opposed to how my eye might see it. Better than a 1 size fits all?

Not educated on the prism either hopefully somebody that knows will chip in. It's on my to do list (research)

I Haven't read it yet: https://www.dailyshooting.com/what-i...d-prism-scope/
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

You can focus it in exactly for each individuals eye's like a set of bino's, and the reticle is etched into the glass rather then projected like a red dot. If the illumination crapped out or glass cracked you would still see the big black BDC in the center and be able to keep shooting in daylight which is another advantage.

Google's definition of a prism scope vs a traditional.

A traditional rifle scope works similar to a telescope. ... A prism scope functions similarly, but it uses a prism to focus the light rather than lenses. As a result, it is a much more compact optic. Prism sights generally have an etched reticle and an illuminated reticle.
    Here's a quick and right to the point explanation and what I highlighted in red is what draws a lot of shooters to this style of optic vs a standard red dot. You still retain the ability like a red dot to shoot with both eyes opened at CQB type distances like a red dot allows or you can bare down and take those ranged shots out to 300 yards plus depending on your fixed magnification and skill set. RobSki be hitting out to 600 yards plus with the 7.62x39 and a x3 power prism scope. Yes he is military trained and a professional but he's not doing it with a $3k high magnification optic and this months new flavor of 6mm wonder cartridge.

https://monstrumtactical.com/blogs/g...-red-dot-sight

Prism scopes are typically available in lower range magnifications from 1x to 5x.

The compact size and lower magnification range makes them well suited for AR-15’s and similar tactical rifles. They serve as an attractive alternative to other short range optics such as ACOG’s, Aimpoints, or red dot sights.

Some of the key advantages of a prism scope over a red dot sight:
    A prism scope allows for magnification giving you a larger sight picture and extending your effective range.
    A prism scope allows for both an illuminated reticle system and an etched reticle. The etched reticle can be viewed without batteries or a fiber optic. This provides an extra layer should your illumination system ever fail you.
    A prism scope can utilize more sophisticated reticles that include ranging or bullet drop information.
    A prism scope uses a focusing eyepiece which allows you to adjust for personal differences in vision. This makes it a good option for people with astigmatism or other eyesight conditions who have difficulty using red dot sights.

Some of the drawbacks of a prism scope versus a red dot sight:
    A prism scope has a shorter, narrower eye relief that a red dot sight. This might make it inappropriate for shooters or firearms that require an extra long eye relief of 5+ inches.
    A prism scope with magnification has parallax just as a magnified rifle scope would. Optics with magnification are typically parallax free at a certain fixed distance (commonly 100 yards) with parallax coming into play at further distances. Note that the amount of parallax is negligible to most shooters and can be minimized with proper and consistent shooting position and cheek weld.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 13th, 2018 at 01:39 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Ugh. I'm an idiot. (pause while you all nod in agreement)

I HAVE a 3-9x42 scope!

For some reason I thought it had different magnification. I haven't even shot it with the scope. Never even sighted it in, just took pics and stuck it in the safe.
    It's an NCStar 3-9X42 Compact Rubber Armored/Dual III that I bought used for around $35

This was to be my "scoped" rifle. Not being much of a scope guy, it wasn't a priority, and I never got around to doing anything with it.

I just grabbed it and tried aiming at things with both eyes open. I had never considered doing that with a magnified scope - I thought you had to close one eye.
    Looking at things indoors, across two rooms, it seemed like once I put the crosshair on my "target", if I closed my left eye to look through in the traditional manner, it was fairly close to where it was using both eyes open.
    Aiming out the window at a distance maybe 200 feet away in the same manner seemed to yield the same result - "close".

It's also a problem that I wear glasses and if my glasses aren't pushed up fully on my nose, when I look though, I get two sets of crosshairs if I'm looking "over" my glasses.

I will say that the illuminated red and green reticles are sort of blindingly shitty, but "NCStar", so...

Once my 2.5x comes in your more than welcome to try it some Sunday when I'm off

(Montgomery County)

By the way, I appreciate everyone's input.

It's refreshing to see a topic that relates to shooting that is actually getting some traffic/participation!

Also, I can't be the only one out here that doesn't have a firm grasp on all of this stuff, so I'm sure that this info posted is helping others too.
    I'm learning as well, total greenhorn

(Washington County)

It's much less stressful than all the "congressman so and so wants to take your rifle and ____ your mother with it" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    It's much less stressful than all the "congressman so and so wants to take your rifle and ____ your mother with it" threads.
    What you guys don’t enjoy high blood pressure?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast