Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Optics - Need Info on Short Distance Options - AR15

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    I believe I have your answer. Bushnell AR Optics "PCL" Throwdown. They can be had for under $200 and I've had good luck with mine. It's a FFP so when cranked to 1x the reticle shrinks to red-dot size. It can be then cranked to 4x and has a BDC reticle (which I happen to like alot). The change in magnification is quick because of the PCL (power change lever).
    LOL! FFP, BDC... at least you spelled out PCL so I know what that means now!

Interesting. Can something like that be used "both eyes open" like a red dot?

(Bucks County)

I’ve had good luck with the Bushnell AR 1-4x by 24.

I’ve got one on my new AR coyote rifle and another one I used to take an 85 yard shot on a doe with a Marlin .44 mag lever action last year in deer season. The non-luminated reticle version, which both of mine are, are running under $200 online.

I guess ultimately it depends on how much magnification you need. On the coyote rifle, I keep it dialed down to 1x because I’m hunting in big woods and can’t see more than 75 yards and I’m more likely to take a shot at a running coyote and would rather have the field of view. On the .44 mag I keep it up at 4x to try to help with counting antler points on bucks.

If 200 yards is the longest shot you’re going to take, then the 4x setting should do you fine. Beyond that, I personally would prefer more magnification.

Over on this end of the state they’re pretty common so I would think you’d be able to find one where you are to be able to physically check out.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    LOL! FFP, BDC... at least you spelled out PCL so I know what that means now!

Interesting. Can something like that be used "both eyes open" like a red dot?
    Hehe. FFP = first focal plane - reticle grows and shrinks with magnification. SFP = second focal plane - reticle does not.

BDC = bullet drop compensator... Has a reticle with specific measurements that equates to specific distances for a common load (i.e. m855 out of a 16" barrel).

Look for mrgunsngear's review on this scope on YouTube.

Also I went back and added some notes to my original post. And be aware there is a cheaper version of this scope. I think the ones with the PCL are what you'd want.

Yes you can use two eyes open sighting, but it's not quite as good at that as a red dot in my experience.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    How "up close and personal" are you talking? for home protection? would a laser sight of some type work well for that?
    only ask because I'm kind of in the same boat with what to do with my AR pistol..
    Probably for outdoor use "home defense" - 15 feet to 50 feet. In the worst case scenario if the SHTF there isn't really a line of sight from my home of more than 100 yards.
    I have an AR pistol for indoors if need be and I have a Primary Arms micro red dot on that now.

Primary arms has some fixed power scopes from 1 to 5x, they are like poor man acogs . I got a 2.5x with the accs reticle on black Friday, they run around the $250ish mark

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    PSA has or had sig romeo for 119 free ship. Add a flip to the side magnifier if you must.

Burris AR-322 with free fastfire3 is a great deal
    I agree with this, you can get a decent feature packed Holosun, Vortex, or Sig red dot and a Primary Arms or Vortex x3 magnifier behind it and have exactly what your looking for at a good price. Set ups like this have been proven to run reliably time and time again.

The Bushnell PCL 1x4 is another good option. Check out MrGunsNGears channel for several reviews on them.

The Burris AR322 is an excellent fixed 3 power scope but it’s HEAVY as all hell which is why I sold it.

Inrange TV proved how excellent Holosun red dots are using it on their Stoner project AR with a magnifier for well over a year of hard use at long ranges. That’s the route I’m going on most of my rifles because I’m no longer AIM point rich.

If you can’t swing the cost of the PA or Vortex magnifier right away UTG makes a x3 one for under $100.00 that gets really good reviews. I’ve never used it but I may actually try it out on an AK I have needing an optic.

Keep in mind with Vortex you get a lifetime no questions asked warranty. It’s to bad we are on the opposite side of the state or I would say to set up a play date at the range to try some different options out.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 12th, 2018 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Primary arms has some fixed power scopes from 1 to 5x, they are like poor man acogs . I got a 2.5x with the accs reticle on black Friday, they run around the $250ish mark
    Yeah another solid option, Robski from AKOU beats the shit out of them and they keep running.

(Allegheny County)

I'm gonna have 50 tabs open on my laptop looking up all these optics. LOL

Appreciate all the info. I'm learning things already.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'm gonna have 50 tabs open on my laptop looking up all these optics. LOL

Appreciate all the info. I'm learning things already.
    The UTG red dot and magnifier is a pretty highly reviewed and affordable combo. There is also a trs25 based optic for $17 on Amazon by field stream that's very highly reviewed for use on an AR as well

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    The UTG red dot and magnifier is a pretty highly reviewed and affordable combo. There is also a trs25 based optic for $17 on Amazon by field stream that's very highly reviewed for use on an AR as well
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4AYBR6...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Here's one I wanna check out
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OMQSR2...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast