Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: ATF will no longer classify accessories

Personally I believe they will only be making a determination on the specific firearm configuration that is being submitted meaning if company A submits the latest and greatest brace attached to an AR pistol and it's approved it will only be approved in that AR configuration. If their plan was to take the same brace make an adapter that clicks into the butt hole on my Glock hand gun well that wasn't approved for use on that handgun and that's going to be an issue.

The Tail hook comes to mind especially when using it on the Sig Scorpion because you have to take a OEM scorp stock alter it and then fit the Tail hook. Now when the tail hook was approved it was approved for use only on a buffer tube as an add on not a conventional stock. This is the kind of stuff I see changing forcing companies to submit every instance that their item will be configured and marketed for at once or that config will be unapproved and illegal.

It's this thinking as to why I believe they are no longer reviewing accessories rather then specific configurations which will include the accessory.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 11th, 2018 at 05:52 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    The thread title alleges that they will no longer be making classification of accessories. They never did. They are still making the same determination of the firearm's classification, with the accessory attached.

I never stated that nothing had changed, just that the title is misleading. At this point in our exchange, I have to wonder if you are being deliberately argumentative.

How the fuck would you have titled the thread. I wasn't trying to mislead you. How about I run all my posts through you for approval.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    How the fuck would you have titled the thread. I wasn't trying to mislead you. How about I run all my posts through you for approval.
    I guess add the word individual before accessories?

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    Start by untwisting your undergarments. It IS misleading. I see that you basically copied it from the blog which you linked, so I wouldn't be so personally offended by the assertion. The blog itself was poorly written, as is often the case. Have a coke and a smile, or something.

Edit: If you're soliciting for advice on a title that isn't misleading, I suggest "Ridiculous ATF policy change could encourage NFA voilations." or perhaps "... could put firearms accessorizers in legal jeapordy" Something similar to that.
    Last edited by marinville; December 11th, 2018 at 05:59 PM.

The thread title is perfectly accurate. If ATF is now going to classify only COMBINATIONS of accessories and specific firearms, that means they will no longer classify ACCESSORIES.

The purpose seems likely to be to give them more maneuvering room for arbitrary and capricious decisions. A favorite tactic among the Lefties is to find some inconsequential difference, say between Evil Trump accepting $500 from a random Russian and Beloved Bill Clinton receiving $500,000 from other Russians while his wife was Sec State, and condemn Trump while excusing Clinton, and say triumphantly "that's different" when asked to apply the same standards to both, as though every value judgment and every decision is sui generis, and there are no enduring rules or standards.

No rule used by the Left against their enemies can be turned against the Left, just like they try to re-define "racism" so that blacks and browns are literally unable to be guilty of it (the way you can't be guilty of stealing your own shoes). Every ethical standard and rule of law is like the hammer Mjolnir to Thor, nobody else can pick it up and take a swing at Thor.

Some tried to make a big deal of this sui generis principle during the Akins fiasco, because the sample submitted to ATF was for an AK (if I recall correctly) but they started producing it for the 10/22. That's a difference without meaning, the "accessory" produced the same effect for both guns, the change in specific application only allowed the snowflakes and the 5th Columnists to hang their hats on something stupid.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

No doubt this change is coming about to answer the question gun grabbers are asking, "How could you ever approve bump stocks?"
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Bucks County)

My thought was it is a reaction/response to having lost cred over the approval/later disapproval of the bump stock. There is probably another potential time bomb in the back room and they are trying to get ahead of it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    My thought was it is a reaction/response to having lost cred over the approval/later disapproval of the bump stock. There is probably another potential time bomb in the back room and they are trying to get ahead of it.
    Probably braces or binarys

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The thread title is perfectly accurate. If ATF is now going to classify only COMBINATIONS of accessories and specific firearms, that means they will no longer classify ACCESSORIES.

The purpose seems likely to be to give them more maneuvering room for arbitrary and capricious decisions. A favorite tactic among the Lefties is to find some inconsequential difference, say between Evil Trump accepting $500 from a random Russian and Beloved Bill Clinton receiving $500,000 from other Russians while his wife was Sec State, and condemn Trump while excusing Clinton, and say triumphantly "that's different" when asked to apply the same standards to both, as though every value judgment and every decision is sui generis, and there are no enduring rules or standards.

No rule used by the Left against their enemies can be turned against the Left, just like they try to re-define "racism" so that blacks and browns are literally unable to be guilty of it (the way you can't be guilty of stealing your own shoes). Every ethical standard and rule of law is like the hammer Mjolnir to Thor, nobody else can pick it up and take a swing at Thor.

Some tried to make a big deal of this sui generis principle during the Akins fiasco, because the sample submitted to ATF was for an AK (if I recall correctly) but they started producing it for the 10/22. That's a difference without meaning, the "accessory" produced the same effect for both guns, the change in specific application only allowed the snowflakes and the 5th Columnists to hang their hats on something stupid.
    You have confirmed exactly what I thought from the start, and I’m not happy about the can of worms as well as the fights that will be coming.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    ATF is now going to classify firearms with accessories physically attached to them. ATF was previously classifying firearms with accessories intended to be attached to them. ATF was not previously classifying accessories.

Aside from the current "this stock is now a machinegun" idiocy, previous determinations were made regarding the classification of the FIREARM with the accessory attached. "Does the addition of this accessory change the classification of this firearm"

But I know a lawyer is never wrong, so I'm not going to continue down this road with you. Have at it.
    Last edited by marinville; December 11th, 2018 at 07:36 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast