Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: ATF will no longer classify accessories

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    They are still doing the classification, the product must be submitted attached to a firearm, as it is intended to be used.
    Yes on complete firearms not individual accessories as they were doing up until today.

(Wyoming County)

They are still doing the classification, the product must be submitted attached to a firearm, as it is intended to be used.
    This is very interesting. So if you are riding on the line of building something which may be prohibited or restricted and they decide that you crossed the line on the wrong side do they keep your shit, or come and arrest you? Probably both
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yes on complete firearms not individual accessories as they were doing up until today.
    But they are still making the same determination as to the classification of the firearm with the accessory attached. It is the same classification as it was before. The logistics of submittal have changed. The classification was always of the firearm. It was never a question of (for example) "Is this arm brace an sbr?" It was "Does this arm brace turn a pistol into an sbr?" Or "Does this binary trigger make a semi auto firearm into a machine gun?" Or "Will this angled foregrip make my pistol an AOW"

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    This is very interesting. So if you are riding on the line of building something which may be prohibited or restricted and they decide that you crossed the line on the wrong side do they keep your shit, or come and arrest you? Probably both
    Valid question. I'm guessing your dog wouldn't be around to witness the final resolution.

This strikes me as a "buffer tube arm braces should really never have been approved for use on ak pistols, since ak pistols do not require a buffer tube to function" kind of deal.
    If using the arm brace as intended it serves as a stabling device for one handed manipulation of the firearm it’s attached to which would certainly include AK pistols. The addition or lack of a buffer tube is irrelevant. There are also legal brace configurations for traditional hand guns like Glocks.

But they are still making the same determination as to the classification of the firearm with the accessory attached. It is the same classification as it was before. The logistics of submittal have changed. The classification was always of the firearm. It was never a question of (for example) "Is this arm brace an sbr?" It was "Does this arm brace turn a pistol into an sbr?" Or "Does this binary trigger make a semi auto firearm into a machine gun?" Or "Will this angled foregrip make my pistol an AOW"
    So nothing has changed even though a change has been made?

(Washington County)

So nothing has changed even though a change has been made?
    The thread title alleges that they will no longer be making classification of accessories. They never did. They are still making the same determination of the firearm's classification, with the accessory attached.

I never stated that nothing had changed, just that the title is misleading. At this point in our exchange, I have to wonder if you are being deliberately argumentative.

The thread title alleges that they will no longer be making classification of accessories. They never did. They are still making the same determination of the firearm's classification, with the accessory attached.

I never stated that nothing had changed, just that the title is misleading. At this point in our exchange, I have to wonder if you are being deliberately argumentative.
    They made this change for a specific reason, and it won’t be for the benefit of the firearms community, we may have to wait to see. I don’t believe it’s as cut and dry as you are staring. I am guessing the lawyer who wrote the article will most likely make a more in-depth video regarding it hopefully with further explanation of how this effects the industry.

(Washington County)

They made this change for a specific reason, and it won’t be for the benefit of the firearms community, we may have to wait to see. I don’t believe it’s as cut and dry as you are staring.
    I am quite certain they have nefarious purposes in mind. Ex flying guy is on the right track, imo.

(Washington County)

I am having a brain fart, but what's it called when the police talk you into breaking the law and then arrest you? Because that sounds a lot like what is being described here. "You need to attach this accessory to your firearm before we can tell you if it was illegal to do so."

I can't see how they could prevail in court if they prosecuted someone based on this asinine policy change.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast