Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Fulton County)

Default Most reliable scopes

Hey guys, I've had an extremely disappointing rifle season this year and missed 3 deer on the last Saturday of this season. The last deer was less than 30 yards away too! I've determined that it must have been my Tasco scope, and I want to make sure that I get a suitable replacement with one of the most reliable scopes on the market. My budget is $120.00 tops. Is Nikon one of the best? Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Most reliable scopes

Never use a $120 scope for hunting.............Tasco sucks but it doesn't matter what brand for that price.

Get out your wallet or put your iron sights back on.

Dif you verify your gear at the range before the season started?

Nikon, Vortex, and even Primary Arms have good offerings but they will be between $250.00 and $350.00. I have cheaper scopes then that that are fine for the range but they wouldn’t be at the top of my pile for hunting. Putting your billets where you want them when taking a life on especially on public land is pretty important.

If your using a .308 the Nikon P308 or better yet M308 are good choices.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Dif you verify your gear at the range before the season started?

Nikon, Vortex, and even Primary Arms have good offerings but they will be between $250.00 and $350.00. I have cheaper scopes then that that are fine for the range but they wouldn’t be at the top of my pile for hunting. Putting your billets where you want them when taking a life on especially on public land is pretty important.

If your using a .308 the Nikon P308 or better yet M308 are good choices.
    That's what really irritated me about the whole deal. I test fired my rifle one week before opening day. I can only surmise that my scope couldn't handle being lugged around the mountain and the ATV. I was hunting on private land, and I was fully aware of what was beyond my target. I use a .308 so, I'll look into the Nikon P308. Thanks for the suggestion.

(Fulton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Never use a $120 scope for hunting.............Tasco sucks but it doesn't matter what brand for that price.

Get out your wallet or put your iron sights back on.
    Iron sights are not an option for my rifle. I was using an NEF handi rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin2012 View Post
    That's what really irritated me about the whole deal. I test fired my rifle one week before opening day. I can only surmise that my scope couldn't handle being lugged around the mountain and the ATV. I was hunting on private land, and I was fully aware of what was beyond my target. I use a .308 so, I'll look into the Nikon P308. Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have a lot of experience with the P308 and it’s a solid scope.

(Somerset County)

Given your budget constraints, I think I'd look for used fixed power Leupold. Or save a few more dollars and spring for a new fixed power Weaver. Deer season is over, you have several months to save up better optics.

Finally, and I know a lot of folks will disagree but I've had good luck with Bushnell over the years although mine are either recent Elite 4200's or Scopechief models from the late 70's.

Dale

(Lancaster County)

A fixed SWFA SS 10x is only a few hundred and their very robust.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Allegheny County, Robinson Twnshp, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)

I suggest (hope my fellow hunting members of pafoa are sitting down) the Bushnell Trophy dot red-dot sight. They’re under $100.00.

I am a huge fan of dot sights for deer hunting. You keep both eyes on the deer, both eyes open, bring your rifle up, put the dot on the deer and squeeze. Never any trying to sort out the deer through Vegetation in the magnification of a scope, you just put the dot on the deer and squeeze. I’ve been hunting, and killing, deer with a red dot on my ruger GSR now for five years. I love it.

A close friend of mine hunts with a savage-Stevens 308 and a bushnell trophy dot. Not an expensive combination, but he kills deer.

OP, your 30 yard shot with a dot would’ve been more than simple. Give it some thought.

If you want magnification and a red dot, get one of the Leupold VX-R Riflescopes you can shoot both eyes open and it works like an ACOG on 4 power but you get the benefit of having 3 to 9 power.
    You will need to spend a little more but it's worth it. I have been shooting with the VX-R 3-9x40mm Patrol for a while now and love it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast