Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Most reliable scopes

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    It wasn’t quality related. I just prefer to spend my $ on US made products when possible/practical
    There is no American made glass, and hasn't been so for many years. So when you buy a scope with an "American" brand you are buying at the minimum foreign components, and often a totally foreign made product. Often from somewhere in Asia like Taiwan, China, the Philippines, etc.

The quality of a scope is directly proportional to how much you spend. However, I have had success buying used scopes that have a lifetime warrantee that goes with the scope, so if there is ANYTHING wrong with it, the scope goes back to the manufacturer, and is either fixed, refurbed, or just replaced.
    Last edited by Pilot321; December 11th, 2018 at 10:14 AM.

(Berks County)

Get a vintage Tasco made in Japan for $40. Check here or Ebay. I have a few and never miss a deer.

Save up and buy a Leupold and be done with it. The amount of money that you will save on ammunition over the years will be worth the extra money up front. The glass is more clear than anything you can buy at walmart. The scope will gather more light than anything you can buy at walmart. The adjustment knobs will move your bullet impact the exact distance better than anything you can buy at walmart. Couple the scope with a good base and set of rings of equal quality and you won't have to fuss with it. Torque the rings and bases properly. I mounted a Leupold VX-II to a 7mm magnum rifle 20 hunting seasons ago. I drive bears through mountain laurel with it. I raise and lower it with a rope to a climbing tree stand. I drive with it uncased on the back seat of my truck most of the hunting season. The stock is scratched and nicked up. In other words, I hunt with this rifle and it has seen its fair share of use. I have NOT had to adjust the scope in 20 years. One fouling shot every fall followed by one that lands one inch high of dead center at 100 yards. The rifle that you are using has a great reputation for being accurate right out of the box. Give it the glass it deserves.

Vortex are made here with foreign glass. They also have an unconditional lifetime warranty. You can literally smash your scope and they will replace it. I don't own any, but they would be my next purchase. I have two scopes and a red dot from Burris. One scope, no issues. Second is a 3-9 with an illuminated reticle. I had the cross hairs rotate about 40 degrees inside the scope and the illumination stopped working. They repaired it no questions asked and it's been good ever since. The red dot had an issue with the brightness adjustment. Unless it was set to 8, every time you fired a shot it would turn off. They sent me a brand new one. Their warranty and customer service is great but I don't like having to use it. I've also had several Simmons scopes that have been good. One is super cheap and the other is one of their higher end scopes. The cheap one has garbage glass in it but it's accurate. The other is pretty clear for the price. The last two I have are both Bushnell. I paid right around $250 for each and they are both solid optics for the price. Bushnell has also stepped up their warranty.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrat View Post
    Get a vintage Tasco made in Japan for $40. Check here or Ebay. I have a few and never miss a deer.
    Exactly. Get em at gunshows for 25-35 bucks. Japan label can be hard to see.

(Bucks County)

Recall when Tasco was put down as junk. We were actually getting great value. Same story with President Trump.

I found a vintage Tasco on eBay. That was the title line. Vintage Tasco scope. Photo plainly showed Made in China. Bunghole.

My Vortex Diamondback Tactical has a company label under the turret housing giving make, model, serial number and Vortex Optics USA. Note it does not say Made in USA. On the viewing end is a peelable label Made in China. Peel the label off and all references to China magically disappear. Meets legal requirements? Or is someone going to be paying a price one of these days?
    Last edited by Bang; December 11th, 2018 at 08:21 PM.

A Vortex or a Leupold VX Freedom in 4 x 12. The Leupold is under 300 bucks with a BDC/duplex and very nice glass. Again, when you have a scope take a dump on you when you really need it to work, it easier to spend some extra $$ over a perceived budget to get something that is warranted for life and displays exceptional clarity. You have many months before your next hunt to save some bucks to get something you won't regret.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Fayette County)

Leupold has my vote...

(Erie County)

The other thing is to use threadlock on the scope base and rings. Otherwise they will come loose on a rough ride.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123