Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Most reliable scopes

Vortex and Nikon make some good budget priced scopes.

I have a 1985 Japanese Tasco on my Marlin 336. If I'm on my game, it'll practically cloverleaf at 100 yards.

I'm never ever adjusting it or taking it off.

(Chester County)

I've been using a Bushnell scope made for a slug gun on my H&R. I don't need more in the way of optics because the ranges I'm shooting at are short. It is nice and bright around dawn and dusk. The thing that impresses me is that it holds its zero perfectly. I check it at the beginning of every season, and haven't touched the adjustment in 5 years. The first round is in the center of the bull at 50 yds every year (just about every shot at a deer is a cold bore shot). The scope fits my needs with that gun.

On my .308 rifle, I use a vortex Viper PST. With that setup, I stretch the .308 out to its ballistic limits.

My take on it is that you can buy a $150 shotgun scope that will take a beating but the glass is OK for short ranges. If you're going to longer ranges with better glass and more vertical adjustment, you're going to have to spend a lot more money to get something that will hold its zero. This includes the whole system, with good rings and mount, with everything done correctly and torqued to the right values. On my .308, the rings are lapped in to perfect alignment.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Clarion County)

First thing I'd do is start at the beginning and remove, clean and remount scope base.
    Especially if it came with one mounted. Really like my 45/70, but it is what it is, a budget rifle.
    Last edited by cephas; December 10th, 2018 at 02:46 PM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Westmoreland County)

Now that the season is over I'd go shoot the rifle again to see if it was you or your equipment. May be the mounts not the scope. Answer to your question, Leupold VX1 is slightly above your budget and worth saving for.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    I've been using a Bushnell scope made for a slug gun on my H&R. I don't need more in the way of optics because the ranges I'm shooting at are short. It is nice and bright around dawn and dusk. The thing that impresses me is that it holds its zero perfectly. I check it at the beginning of every season, and haven't touched the adjustment in 5 years. The first round is in the center of the bull at 50 yds every year (just about every shot at a deer is a cold bore shot). The scope fits my needs with that gun.

On my .308 rifle, I use a vortex Viper PST. With that setup, I stretch the .308 out to its ballistic limits.

My take on it is that you can buy a $150 shotgun scope that will take a beating but the glass is OK for short ranges. If you're going to longer ranges with better glass and more vertical adjustment, you're going to have to spend a lot more money to get something that will hold its zero. This includes the whole system, with good rings and mount, with everything done correctly and torqued to the right values. On my .308, the rings are lapped in to perfect alignment.
    I agree with lapping and leveling everything before and after tightening your screws down to proper recommended torque with blue lock tight. I bought a scope mounting kit and have used it with great success several times now.

Fixed power scopes can take a hell of a lot more abuse than variables as they have a lot less moving parts. Get a Weaver K4.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lancaster County)

I am happy with my Redfield Rifleman. I wanted an American made scope and Leopold is the only option. They bought the Redfield name and the Rifleman is American made. I paid approx. $180 for a 3x9x40 scope. Not sure if this scope is still available and/or if it is still American made.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    I am happy with my Redfield Rifleman. I wanted an American made scope and Leopold is the only option. They bought the Redfield name and the Rifleman is American made. I paid approx. $180 for a 3x9x40 scope. Not sure if this scope is still available and/or if it is still American made.
    Why?

There is a reason German and Japanese glass is top tier stuff.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

A lot of high end scopes use German and Japanese glass.
    Last edited by :-); December 10th, 2018 at 10:48 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Why?

There is a reason German and Japanese glass is top tier stuff.
    It wasn’t quality related. I just prefer to spend my $ on US made products when possible/practical

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast