Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Getting a new 1911.

Okay, I’ll be the asshole......get a Glock 21.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Philadelphia County)

There are about a million different 1911s and about a million different answers. In my case I'd say a Browning Hi-Power or a CZ-75.

Er...

I mean a stainless Colt Series 70, Series 80 or a S&W E-Series lol.
    Last edited by borekfk; December 10th, 2018 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor90 View Post
    Yes, this is what I'm thinking about. I want a vintage look. I'm starting to get more into classic looks. Even with my AR tastes.
    Have you shot one? Because with the vintage look comes the vintage hammer bite. A Government model 1911 is fine and great for collecting, but if you have medium to large hands, you're not going to enjoy shooting it for long. There's a reason modern 1911 have bobbed hammers and extended beavertails. Also, and this isn't just a gov model thing, it's an idiotic thing across the board - no ambi safety. For lefties, it's a must. If you plan to carry a 1911, it's a must. Practice with both hands is a must.

As far as modern 1911's go, the TRP is probably the best value under the sun in terms of fit, finish, and features (excellent trigger, front strap checkering, ambi-safety). You can snag a used one for around $1k (Bunker Gun Shop in Warminster has one for $1029 right now). My wife has one and it's a fantastic shooter and has been 100% reliable.

If Springfield is on your shit list, consider the Sig TacOps 1911. Again, like the TRP, the TacOps is loaded with features and can be had for under $1k new or around $750 used. It doesn't have as nice of a trigger as the TRP, but that's easily fixed.
    Last edited by Ronin; December 11th, 2018 at 09:51 AM.

(Monroe County)

I have a Springer full size, loaded, parkerized 1911. Has all I need including night sights at a reasonable price. Model PX9109L Usually about 750 new.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I have a Springfield Loaded in Stainless. It's made in Brazil and mediocre at best. Trigger is not awesome and I've had some failure to eject problems.
    I've had a Loaded Champion for about 10yrs. I agree, the trigger is not great, but mine has been reliable. I'm not sure what what Springfield's idea of loaded is other than a bull barrel and ambi safety, however. One of my winter projects will be to tear it apart next year, rework the trigger, polish the internals, install TFX sights, and checker the front strap. When I'm done with it, it will shoot as well if not better than my wife's TRP.

(Susquehanna County)

Good luck.. went down this street last year.

Was looking for a lightly used Colt or Kimber and stumbled onto a Sig TACOPS.. didn't want one with a rail, most likely will never use the rail.. but REALLY fell in love with the TACOPS
    Just don't go cheap or you will regret it and replace it.. Many nice ones out there.. and nice Kimber, Colt and Dan Wesson can be found for under $1000 if you are patient
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Colt. They are still making very nice guns. And, they are the most reliable, trouble free 1911s from the box. Hilton Yam did an experiment a while back and got a hold of 10 NIB Colt 1911s. 9 worked flawlessly, 1 needed extractor adjustment. After that it was 100 percent.

I personally had bad experiences with two SIG 1911s. Had a Springfield MilSpec that worked 100 percent, but the lack of a speed bump on the grip safety sometimes failed to engage the grip safety b/c I ride the thumbsafety.

Colt Government model, new, is the way I’d go.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Colt. They are still making very nice guns. And, they are the most reliable, trouble free 1911s from the box. Hilton Yam did an experiment a while back and got a hold of 10 NIB Colt 1911s. 9 worked flawlessly, 1 needed extractor adjustment. After that it was 100 percent.

I personally had bad experiences with two SIG 1911s. Had a Springfield MilSpec that worked 100 percent, but the lack of a speed bump on the grip safety sometimes failed to engage the grip safety b/c I ride the thumbsafety.

Colt Government model, new, is the way I’d go.
    Was this a good experience then?

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=335917

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    I have a Springer full size, loaded, parkerized 1911. Has all I need including night sights at a reasonable price. Model PX9109L Usually about 750 new.
    This. You can find them occasionally for $700 shipped.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234