Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Getting a new 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    Trp... period.
    Yeah you get a lot for your money with the TRP, but Springfield is on my shit list right below Dicks Sporting Goods.

The Chris Kyle special edition is beautiful and I would love to have one, but If I can’t find it used then I won’t buy it.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Yeah you get a lot for your money with the TRP, but Springfield is on my shit list right below Dicks Sporting Goods.

The Chris Kyle special edition is beautiful and I would love to have one, but If I can’t find it used then I won’t buy it.
    With you on that. Their 1911's are the only products they make that interested me. I can go with one of the myriad of other good ones on market before I give them a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    Trp... period.
    I've had a TRP for years & it's been a reliable workhorse; but if I were in the market for a mid-range 1911 today, it'd be a Dan Wesson.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

Les Schaefer of SPG Gunworks makes an incredible 1911 for a decent price just over a $1000... The slide action and trigger are awesome.

I have a Springfield Loaded in Stainless. It's made in Brazil and mediocre at best. Trigger is not awesome and I've had some failure to eject problems.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Susquehanna County)

Seriously, you can pretty well bet, unless you buy a top of the line custom gun from Les Baer or one of the others at $2k and up you're going to need some level of remedial work on it. Trigger job, or perhaps the short trigger instead of the long trigger, properly fitted barrel bushing (they have to fit the slide and the barrel correctly, just because you must use a bushing wrench doesn't mean it is fitted to the barrel), different length link, adjustment of extractor and ejector or something.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I have a Springfield Loaded in Stainless. It's made in Brazil and mediocre at best. Trigger is not awesome and I've had some failure to eject problems.
    Made in Brazil? Even less reason to ever buy a Springfield now.

(Bucks County)

I picked up a used Ruger SR1911 full size recently. I had also looked at a used Dan Wesson. While the Wesson was slightly smoother when racking and dry firing, I could not justify the approximately $500 more for it. The Ruger has only made three trips to the range and is rapidly becoming my fave. Accuracy is unreal and can definitely out shoot me. I wish 45 ACP was closer in price to 9mm.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I'd get either a Rock Island or a Nighthawk.
    They're on opposite ends of the price scale

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    The company that was making frames for Springfield in Brazil is called Imbel. All Springfield Armory pistols are manufactured in the USA with USA made parts. I believe Springfield cut ties with Imbel 2013-2014. Guns with N or WW in their serial data were completely manufactured in Brazil and those with NM the frames were cast in Brazil and assembled in USA. Springfield hasn't specified whether it's a vendor or the own shops that are making the frames now. All they will say is the guns are manufactured in the USA. Rock Island 1911's are made in the Philippines. You chose. Kimber front sights fall off.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast