Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Why I知 ready to buy a gun | Christine Flowers

a good article about how Philly DA is favoring criminals over victims.

also read the comments section from leftists

http://www.philly.com/opinion/commen...ium%3Dsharebar
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

Default Re: Why I知 ready to buy a gun | Christine Flowers

Shes a anti gun liberal. I think she used to write for the daily crimes.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I hit the pay wall. Can someone post it?

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I don't know who she is

however, by the comments, the communists seem to think she's too conservative
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(York County)

http://www.philly.com/opinion/commen...ium%3Dsharebar

By Christine Flowers

I might buy a gun.

I’d need a permit. And lessons on how to shoot, a place to keep it safe, and a way to overcome the fear that I’d shoot myself.
    I’m not a natural gun owner. I’m more likely to be holding a knitting needle than a Glock — but recent events have made me rethink my natural aversion to weapons, an aversion that has nothing to do with philosophical opposition and everything to do with my own physical incompetence. I’m the one they picked last for all the intramural sports in grade school because I have the precision vision of Mr. Magoo and could trip over a non-existent wire. If my life were a western movie, it’d be called “Have Gun, Will Unravel.”

But it’s time to take my life into my own hands, forget about all of the anti-gun rhetoric that I hear bandied about by those who exploit tragedy for their own political purposes, and make 2019 the year that I stop expecting others to look out for me.

I think it started with the election of District Attorney Larry Krasner, which brought me the realization that in our current society, it can often feel like victims are left to fend for themselves. Krasner’s policies, developed over years as a defense attorney, seem to give him an affinity for the accused over the victimized. Recent stories about how his office has neglected to keep victims informed of plea deals strengthen my beliefs. It feels like victims don’t get the same amount of respect as, say, the fellow who stabs a young real estate agent in the back, or the guy who shoots a grocery store owner in the hip, or the fellow who bites off the ear of an innocent bystander.

And it’s not just Krasner. It seems that we’ve become a society where criminals and alleged criminals are given an outsized amount of sympathy. Even President Trump just touted his criminal justice reform package. While I don’t think the solution is an old-style Dodge City shootout, it’s dawned on me that I might need something more than my persuasive personality as protection.

Then, the other day, a fellow who called me a fascist posted something on my Facebook page that transcends First Amendment protections. It never used to bother me that the swampy comments sections of this and other websites are filled with toxicity. The great Chuck Stone, legendary columnist for the Daily News in its halcyon years used to run a regular section called “And the Angels Sing,” in which he reprinted some of the letters he would get. Fortunately for Chuck, and sadly for the rest of us, he operated at a time when the internet was still young and you had to identify yourself with a signature and contact information.

But the person who posted on my Facebook page shared a photo of a young boy standing over a priest he’d just shot through the forehead. He also made some comments that I found personally threatening, and I called the police. It was the first time I’d ever done that.

The following day, I heard helicopters overhead and looked out the window to find Broad Street filled with police. I later learned, a murder suspect from Delaware was on the lam just a block or so from my office. “Armed and dangerous” was the description on some news sites. As I write this, he hasn’t been apprehended.

It occurred to me that this is how so many people in Philadelphia live their lives, looking out the window and watching the police scour the streets for a shooter. There are children who cannot play on the corner, as I played on the corners of Logan a half century ago. It’s too dangerous

Many years ago, my aunt’s ex husband came to our house looking for her. When my mother told him she wasn’t there, he put a gun to her forehead. By the grace of God and superhuman calm, she talked him down.

I used to believe that kind of courage was all I’d need. Not anymore
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Washington County)

I壇 need a permit. And lessons on how to shoot, a place to keep it safe, and a way to overcome the fear that I壇 shoot myself...

...But it痴 time to take my life into my own hands, forget about all of the anti-gun rhetoric that I hear bandied about by those who exploit tragedy for their own political purposes, and make 2019 the year that I stop expecting others to look out for me.
    I don't know who this lady is, but she's got the right attitude, and for that she gets my respect.

(Erie County)

First comment;

Harry Donohue
    3 hours ago
    Responsible gun owners don't commit crimes. Lawmakers and elected officials like Krasner that espouse criminal rights over the well being and freedom of their victims make the perfect argument for the 2nd amendment.

Trump's crime bill, largely ignored by most on left since it flies in the face of their NeverTrump racist agenda, was bipartisan and eased sentencing guidelines and gives incentives for federal prisoners. It's a good first step but hardly a jailbreak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

The stark reality finally dawned for her. As an educator I've found it becomming more commonplace that women are taking a proactive response for their own safety, especially in Philly and moreso than men.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I've read a lot of her articles in the Daily Times over the years. I always thought her articles showed more of a conservative bent. I think she and Chris Friend were brought in to give a more conservative viewpoint to balance out some of the liberal bent the paper has. I always liked that they did that.

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I've read a lot of her articles in the Daily Times over the years. I always thought her articles showed more of a conservative bent. I think she and Chris Friend were brought in to give a more conservative viewpoint to balance out some of the liberal bent the paper has. I always liked that they did that.
    I do not know if she is serious. If she is serious, it would be great if some one in Philly should seriously offer to guide her on the journey.

I just sent an email with the link to "Armed and Feminine" with a suggestion that they contact Ms. Flowers. Hard to imagine a better group to reach out to her.
    Last edited by Wilderness 1864; January 12th, 2019 at 01:35 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast