Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    It has no relevance what so ever to anyone with a valid LTCF.
    Today it doesn't, tomorrow it could if the definition is changed in or removed from 6107.

If the definition didn't exist in 6107, then the definition would default to 6102 since it's in the general definitions section of Ch 61.

So the definition existing in 6107 does matter regarding firearms not otherwise defined as firearms in 6102.

(Lycoming County)

Actually it would, because the statute is making the carry of "Firearms" illegal and then giving exemptions. If it made them all illegal and then only exempted the ones covered under 6109 or defined in 6102 it would not include rifles as that's a different definition. Conversely if it only exempted the ones from that definition, it would not include rifles either, so open carry without a LTCF would still be legal for long guns. It specifically makes all firearms under it's own definition illegal and then uses the LTCF to specifically give an exemption to that same definition of firearm

Bottom line is, most poofers probably have a LTCF so no worries. If you don't, carry an SBR.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lycoming County)

By the way, again IANAL so if one comes along feel free to correct anything I'm not getting right here. My opinion isn't exactly the one that matters.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY***

This all makes my fucking head hurt.

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." and "A well regulated militia necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." seems simple enough to me. We shouldn't even be having this conversation.
    Last edited by Mr_Gixxer; January 3rd, 2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Infringed, questioned I type faster than I think sometimes, sue me haha
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Actually it would, because the statute is making the carry of "Firearms" illegal and then giving exemptions. If it made them all illegal and then only exempted the ones covered under 6109 or defined in 6102 it would not include rifles as that's a different definition. Conversely if it only exempted the ones from that definition, it would not include rifles either, so open carry without a LTCF would still be legal for long guns. It specifically makes all firearms under it's own definition illegal and then uses the LTCF to specifically give an exemption to that same definition of firearm

No. You are reading the law incorrectly. It is not "only exempting the ones covered under 6109." Being licensed under 6109 exempts you from the prohibition in 6107. Period. Being Licensed.

You can not do X unless you have Y. Having Y exempts you from the prohibition. If you have Y, it makes no difference how X is defined.

(Allegheny County)

No. You are reading the law incorrectly. It is not "only exempting the ones covered under 6109." Being licensed under 6109 exempts you from the prohibition in 6107. Period. Being Licensed.

You can not do X unless you have Y. Having Y exempts you from the prohibition. If you have Y, it makes no difference how X is defined.
    But without the definition in 6107 being inclusive of 16+" barrel rifles, you have to go back to the definitions section - 6102.

In 6102 "firearm" doesn't include 16+" rifles.

(Lycoming County)

You're agreeing with me. I said it's using it's own definition, not that it's giving the definition listed in 6109 or exempting it. I was giving a hypothetical.

For the record, your correct in the interpretation of the law. I was trying to explain the definition issues and why 6107 changes the definition to something other than that given in 6102.

Maybe I did it poorly.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    But without the definition in 6107 being inclusive of 16+" barrel rifles, you have to go back to the definitions section - 6102.

In 6102 "firearm" doesn't include 16+" rifles.
    If you have a license to carry firearms, how does this matter?

Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY***

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    This all makes my fucking head hurt.

"The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." and "A well regulated militia necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be questioned." seems simple enough to me. We shouldn't even be having this conversation.

Ding ding ding. How this BS stands is beyond me. Speaking of BS, we need to ask FOAC when they're going to restore carry in the state capitol building since the supreme court is no longer there.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 43 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast