Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 42 of 93 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 922
  1. #411
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southwest, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    1,638
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I don't understand the confusion. A LTCF is an exemption. With a LTCF, SOE doesn't prohibit your carry of any type of firearm.


    This. If you are licensed to carry a firearm under 6109, you are EXEMPT from all above prohibitions. What difference does it make which definition is used in the prohibition if you are exempt from it?

  2. #412
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Tier, Pennsylvania
    (McKean County)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,250
    Rep Power
    21474855

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    This is the entire statute, including the definitions as listed on the legislate PA website. It's the one I generally use to look up laws and is usually right and current.
    I agree your quote is more current.
    And I understand what you are driving at.

    IANAL, so I don't understand how the definition of a firearm under 6109 can be redefined under a different statute.

    I read it as the definition "C" refers to the prohibition A. And the 6109 exemption (2) stands on its own.

    Maybe that's not correct or even possible. IDK.

  3. #413
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southwest, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    1,638
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    It doesn't matter, read 6107 alone.

    It says you can't carry a firearm unless you're licensed under 6109, then defines firearm as any gun. The definition in the section is the only definition that matters regarding that section.

    So under 6107 you can carry a rifle if you're licensed under 6109. Not in compliance with all provisions of 6109; just licensed under.
    Again, THIS.

  4. #414
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh-South Hills, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    5756406

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I agree your quote is more current.
    And I understand what you are driving at.

    IANAL, so I don't understand how the definition of a firearm under 6109 can be redefined under a different statute.

    I read it as the definition "C" refers to the prohibition A. And the 6109 exemption (2) stands on its own.

    Maybe that's not correct or even possible. IDK.
    Each section has its own definitions. That's just the way it is.

    If not, governments would have to be completely consistent with all definitions across all laws and wouldn't be able to narrowly tailor one law without changing every other law that happens to use the same word is some way.

    Let's use the word "permit" - it means different things to code enforcement and game enforcement, and can mean different things to game enforcement whether you're hunting or trapping. It allows them to include and exclude different things by defining the word in the section.

    The only definition that matters under 6107 is the definition in 6107.

    The only definition that matters under 6109 is the one in 6109.

  5. #415
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern Tier, Pennsylvania
    (McKean County)
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,250
    Rep Power
    21474855

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Each section has its own definitions. That's just the way it is.

    If not, governments would have to be completely consistent with all definitions across all laws and wouldn't be able to narrowly tailor one law without changing every other law that happens to use the same word is some way.

    Let's use the word "permit" - it means different things to code enforcement and game enforcement, and can mean different things to game enforcement whether you're hunting or trapping. It allows them to include and exclude different things by defining the word in the section.

    The only definition that matters under 6107 is the definition in 6107.

    The only definition that matters under 6109 is the one in 6109.
    I will try to remember that.

  6. #416
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Posts
    4,513
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Each section has its own definitions. That's just the way it is.

    If not, governments would have to be completely consistent with all definitions across all laws and wouldn't be able to narrowly tailor one law without changing every other law that happens to use the same word is some way.

    Let's use the word "permit" - it means different things to code enforcement and game enforcement, and can mean different things to game enforcement whether you're hunting or trapping. It allows them to include and exclude different things by defining the word in the section.

    The only definition that matters under 6107 is the definition in 6107.

    The only definition that matters under 6109 is the one in 6109.
    ^^^This^^^

    Very well explained

  7. #417
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southwest, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    1,638
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:

    (2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses)


    The definition of a firearm is IRRELEVANT.

  8. #418
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chippewa, Pennsylvania
    (Beaver County)
    Posts
    3,062
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    So I was talking on the Facebook event page and I got a copy and paste job from a FOAC member who says I can be arrested for open carry during this event.

    I can't find that posted publicly anywhere. Has anyone told Kim he's fucking wrong?

    We get it, he's afraid of the People actually bearing arms under the 2A. We get it, FOAC doesn't want involved. That's ok, we don't need them to be.

    I am a life member of FOAC, so whether he likes it or not, we are involved.
    Life has a melody.

  9. #419
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    jersey shore, Pennsylvania
    (Lycoming County)
    Posts
    4,513
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:

    (2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses)


    The definition of a firearm is IRRELEVANT.
    It is relevant if a firearm is defined as :

    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
    As it is in other parts of chapter 61. That would not include rifles, but 6107 specifically changes the definition.

  10. #420
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Southwest, Pennsylvania
    (Washington County)
    Posts
    1,638
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

    Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    It is relevant if a firearm is defined as :



    As it is in other parts of chapter 61. That would not include rifles, but 6107 specifically changes the definition.
    It has no relevance what so ever to anyone with a valid LTCF.

Page 42 of 93 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. open carry walk in pittsburgh pa?
    By Jaydubz2014 in forum Allegheny
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 25th, 2016, 01:59 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2013, 01:54 PM
  3. My Open Carry day in Pittsburgh/Cranberry
    By sprrdhawk44 in forum Open Carry
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2011, 02:01 PM
  4. Replies: 23
    Last Post: April 6th, 2011, 12:48 AM
  5. Pittsburgh Police Open Carry: Good Experience
    By Tokamak in forum Open Carry
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops