Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 40 of 93 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: ***PITTSBURGH RIFLE OPEN CARRY*** UPDATED INFO IN OP***

Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness 1864 View Post
    As goes Boulder, so goes Pittsburgh. This is a good read, and this is exactly how we can expect to be treated if this illegal conduct by Pittsburgh and other PA municipalities is allowed to continue. The author of the piece is not unlike a great number of US citizens. His courage is exceptional, and his family (mostly his daughter) is paying the price.

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/2...doing-nothing/
    For publicly stating that I will not comply, my daughter has been targeted at her Boulder school, the one with posters celebrating tolerance and diversity all over the walls. My refusal to submit has been commented on by teachers in front of their classes. She has been ganged up on by students and bullied because “her father is a murderer.” She is worried that I will be taken to jail. As a single dad to her and her handicapped brother, I have to admit I’m worried about that too.
    That's just sick. All from the tolerant Left.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    How are you reading that to say thst long guns are not covered? No person may do X unless Y. I'm not seeing it.
    The definition of a firearm varies depending on the section being referred.
    As I said my reply is somewhat out of context because the other post is missing.

I was trying to provide the wording.

It is confusing (to me as well) because long guns are specifically prohibited during SOE, yet the only exception available refers to a different definition of a firearm, ie handgun, SBR or SBS.

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    So I was talking on the Facebook event page and I got a copy and paste job from a FOAC member who says I can be arrested for open carry during this event.
    Long Guns are NOT considered "Firearms" under PA 18 Section 6100

§ 6102. Definitions.

Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

§ 6106.1. Carrying loaded weapons other than firearms.
    (a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.

(b) Penalty.--A person who violates the provisions of this section commits a summary offense.

(Dec. 7, 1989, P.L.607, No.68, eff. 60 days; June 13, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.1024, No.17, eff. 120 days)

§ 6107. Prohibited conduct during emergency.

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:

(1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.

(2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

(b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.
    (c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:
    "Accessory." Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.
    "Firearm." The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.
    (June 13, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.1024, No.17, eff. 120 days; Oct. 17, 2008, P.L.1628, No.131, eff. 60 days)

Ed
    Last edited by edstephan; January 3rd, 2019 at 02:15 PM.
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    As I said my reply is somewhat out of context because the other post is missing.

It is confusing (to me as well) because long guns are specifically prohibited during SOE, yet the only exception available refers to a different definition of a firearm, ie handgun, SBR or SBS.
    § 6107. Prohibited conduct during emergency.

(a) General rule.--No person shall carry a firearm upon the public streets or upon any public property during an emergency proclaimed by a State or municipal governmental executive unless that person is:

(1) Actively engaged in a defense of that person's life or property from peril or threat.

(2) Licensed to carry firearms under section 6109 (relating to licenses) or is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).

(b) Seizure, taking and confiscation.--Except as otherwise provided under subsection (a) and notwithstanding the provisions of 35 Pa.C.S. Ch. 73 (relating to Commonwealth services) or any other provision of law to the contrary, no firearm, accessory or ammunition may be seized, taken or confiscated during an emergency unless the seizure, taking or confiscation would be authorized absent the emergency.

(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Accessory." Any scope, sight, bipod, sling, light, magazine, clip or other related item that is attached to or necessary for the operation of a firearm.

"Firearm." The term includes any weapon that is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any weapon.

(June 13, 1995, 1st Sp.Sess., P.L.1024, No.17, eff. 120 days; Oct. 17, 2008, P.L.1628, No.131, eff. 60 days)
    This is the entire statute, including the definitions as listed on the legislate PA website. It's the one I generally use to look up laws and is usually right and current.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post

This is how I understand it as well. 6109 only applies to short barrel guns (using 6102 definition), but 6107 restricts all guns using its own definition. So 6109 would not be an exemption during SOE for long guns.

I would also like to hear from Phil.

(Washington County)

Are people seriously calling the police right. now to ask how they are going to enforce the law? Seriously? For one, what guarantee are you getting? For two, chosen enforcement doesn't change the statutes.

Hello officer, I'm planning to do something and I'm pretty sure Its not illegal, but just to be sure, here's my plan, as well as where and when I'm going to do it. You wont arrest me right?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post

§ 6102. Definitions.

Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:

"Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

Ed
    6107 lists it differently than that in the Definition section of that statute. I posted it above.

(Wyoming County)

I was planning on carrying either an SBR or a AR pistol.....so I'm good

Regardless, I hope someone can bring some clarity.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Are people seriously calling the police right. now to ask how they are going to enforce the law? Seriously? For one, what guarantee are you getting? For two, chosen enforcement doesn't change the statutes.

Hello officer, I'm planning to do something and I'm pretty sure Its not illegal, but just to be sure, here's my plan, as well as where and when I'm going to do it. You wont arrest me right?
    ^^^ THIS ! ^^^
    --ET

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post

§ 6102. Definitions.

Subject to additional definitions contained in subsequent provisions of this subchapter which are applicable to specific provisions of this subchapter, the following words and phrases, when used in this subchapter
    shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:

Ed
    That part is important, because 6107 specifically lists a different definition of "Firearm" in that subsection.

Page 40 of 93 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast