Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Best .380 for a petite female?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    When introducing my wife to shooting, we went to the range and had her try a bunch of rental guns.
    Ultimately, she chose a Glock G19 9mm.

The whole "380 because she's a girl" thing is absurd.
    Must spread rep etc...
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Take her to a range and rent some guns, try the 380 ez shield. Little sig might be a challenge for her.
    This is exactly the right idea! Be a real sport and pick up the range fees and ammo costs as part of the Christmas gift also!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

The OP never even hinted as to the purpose of said "frail girl gun", so anything suggested is just swinging wildly at an answer.

Need more info.
    Carry gun? House gun? Plinking gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Good call, something I overlooked and went right to the choice of firearm.
    Imagine my surprise when all the usual suspects had not yet replied.

(Somerset County)

It's been a few years so there are a lot more choices but my wife handled a lot of guns at the shop and decided she liked the Bersa Thunder best. Other than paying for it with some money I won in a gun raffle, I had no say in the matter, she was getting what she liked, not what I thought she should have.

Dale

(Allegheny County)

No refunds on guns - don’t make a costly mistake !
    Take her to a reputable gun shop She needs to find a gun she can operate and fits her hand. And of course firstly - the “pirpose” for this gun. If for home /range. - have her get the biggest heaviest gun she can comfortably handle. The bigger/heavier the gun, the tamer the recoil.

I am a female with smallish hands and a gun shop owner recently asked what I was doing with such a big gun - cz shadow 2. I have carpal tunnel diagnosed in both hands and prefer less recoil and slamming now. 9mm my choice for defense.

And suggest an NRA basic pistol class to start. If she has not had training.

Better yet - buy her a 22lr pistiol like a Ruger mark IV. Or Sr22. Or a revolver like. Gp100 in 22lr if she prefers revolvers and she can train first and later on buy her choice of defense pistol if that’s her purpose for one.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Buying a gun for personal defense for someone else (unless they told you what they want) is like buying a woman a bra by eyeballing it when your unsure of their exact measurements.

Did she decide on a small gun or even the .380 caliber or are you doing that for her because it's for a woman? Does she have any interest in carrying this weapon on her for personal protection and if so will she be carrying it on or off her person? If just for home defense then a small pistol like this is a poor choice for anyone especially a new or weak shooter.

Most woman when attacked are rushed upon in a parking lot or an ally way so most shots would be considered contact shots and with a semi auto and a struggle there's a good chance the trigger will not go boom if the slide is out of battery. That wont happen with a revolver and a good amount of practice.

I agree. A small 38 revolver with light CCW rounds is equivalent to a 380 acp without the burdens of clearance drills and safeties.

Another good candidate is a 32 revolver. Get a 32 magnum but use lighter loads.

Women carried small revolvers for generations. They're light, easy to use and when you're scared don't have a safety with which to fumble.

Best takeaway is to let her decide what she likes. Let her go to the range. Let her try them out.

Go home. Ask her later which one she liked and which one made the best impression on her.

Like picking out a beau.... the one she likes the best is the one that she'll keep.

(Bucks County)

Give her a gift certificate to your favorite range/dealer so she can get the gun of her choice.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Bucks County)

May I chime in and encourage... arrange for her trying handguns. I have a Walther PPK in .380 that is not fun to shoot. Had an Hsc in .380 that was so bad I sold it shortly after buying it. And these are all-metal guns i.e. have some weight that theoretically should absorb recoil.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    May I chime in and encourage... arrange for her trying handguns. I have a Walther PPK in .380 that is not fun to shoot. Had an Hsc in .380 that was so bad I sold it shortly after buying it. And these are all-metal guns i.e. have some weight that theoretically should absorb recoil.
    Straight blow back kick more than recoil operated. Then weight becomes a factor and bore axis.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123