Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Best .380 for a petite female?

Beretta M85FS. None better.

Buying a gun for personal defense for someone else (unless they told you what they want) is like buying a woman a bra by eyeballing it when your unsure of their exact measurements.

There is an excellent chance that if you pick it before she approves it with range time you will be selling it for a loss on this site come January 3rd of the new year.

Did she decide on a small gun or even the .380 caliber or are you doing that for her because it's for a woman? Does she have any interest in carrying this weapon on her for personal protection and if so will she be carrying it on or off her person? If just for home defense then a small pistol like this is a poor choice for anyone especially a new or weak shooter.

Most woman when attacked are rushed upon in a parking lot or an ally way so most shots would be considered contact shots and with a semi auto and a struggle there's a good chance the trigger will not go boom if the slide is out of battery. That wont happen with a revolver and a good amount of practice.

My wife has small hands as well as carpel tunnel in both hands and has had both operated on, she absolutely hates all small pocket .380's and carries a 9mm Shield that she has become rather proficient with over the last few years.She picked it not me and if I would have I would have failed miserably.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 5th, 2018 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNDAMENTALS View Post
    Have you thought about a Glock 42 .380? Just make sure she is "Carrying on Her Person with a good holster".
    Have her check GunGoddess.com. Train her well!
    This is one of the better .380 choices because of it's larger stature along with the S&W M&P .380 EZ Shield. There are ton's of woman shooting these VS the other LCP pocket pistols on the net and always go right back to the 42.

Quote Originally Posted by Armor90 View Post
    I'm buying my sister a. 380 ACP for Christmas.
    I guess for clarity (since this a public forum) it should be pointed out that you cannot just purchase your sister a handgun, and hand it to her. It must go through an FFL.
    All the more reason to let her see what she likes and let her fill out the paperwork. Transferring it later will just cost more money.

Does she have her LTCF? Be sure that will take place soon if need be, if for no other reason to allow worry free transportation down the road.

(Delaware County)

It's been hinted at, but nobody has said it yet:

(ETA: God's country hit send 2 minutes before me.)

Sibling-to-sibling handgun transfers in PA are not exempt from the requirement to use an FFL for the transfer. So, even if you buy it and pay the FFL/PICS fees, you're gonna have to do it again to give it to her. One way around this is a gift certificate to the gun store and a shared visit where you take her to try out some options.

Also, don't assume just because she's "on the smaller side" that she needs a smaller gun. One of the best female shooters I know has to look up to see 5'0" and shoots a full-framed 1911 in 9mm. I'm sure she carries something smaller than that, because most people do, but assuming she needs a pea-shooter because she's small is not necessarily conducive to family harmony.

If it's to be a carry gun, holster selection and willingness to dress around the gun are as critical as being able to shoot it.

My 2¢

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I guess for clarity (since this a public forum) it should be pointed out that you cannot just purchase your sister a handgun, and hand it to her. It must go through an FFL.
    All the more reason to let her see what she likes and let her fill out the paperwork. Transferring it later will just cost more money.

Does she have her LTCF? Be sure that will take place soon if need be, if for no other reason to allow worry free transportation down the road.
    Good call, something I overlooked and went right to the choice of firearm.

(Allegheny County)

When introducing my wife to shooting, we went to the range and had her try a bunch of rental guns.
    Ultimately, she chose a Glock G19 9mm.

The whole "380 because she's a girl" thing is absurd.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I like the smaller pocket guns, whether 380 or 9mm, but recoil comfortability takes practice. The new glocks (42,43) and something like a bersa thunder would be possibilities with a little less recoil.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Good call, something I overlooked and went right to the choice of firearm.
    As did I. Rep sent.

Cost and accuracy and dependability I would recommend the Bersa?firestorm 380,Hammer drop saftey very accurate feeds ammo and not finicky like most 380s . It also presents itself as a very slim concealable pistol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast