Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 51 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto pushing for bans on assault weapons and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Golf View Post
    ... If people protest the ordinance and are fined, then it’s time to challenge the ordinance.
    For me, it is not good enough to wait until/unless people are fined.

That is a trick that they used for decades. They put up signs "no firearms in the park". Then they do not enforce it. So, no one is ever "harmed" by the ordinance and therefore no one ever has standing in court. Meanwhile, the average person complies and an illegal law lives on.

I believe we need a 3 part strategy, all occurring simultaneously.
    1. Defiance
    2. Litigation
    3. Enactment

Defiance is obvious enough.

Litigation is us getting behind FOAC/Prince Law financially. Yes, I know that many have issue with this. I am not happy about past positions taken by these entities, either. But, I am able to put that aside and get behind the only ones in the legal fight right now. If someone else forms a PAC & hires a lawyer too, I'd consider supporting them. For now, there's just one legal force and I'm willing to get on board with them. So much so, we are collecting money in the Lehigh Valley to do just that. LVTP.org/donate

Enactment: There are (or will be) two bills to strengthen preemption (what was previously Act 192). Rep Mark Keller just introduced his (here...) but bill text is not yet posted. Sen. Langerholc should have his ready within the next few days (it was SB 5 last year).

In my opinion, we need to be pushing these two bills hard, especially on 2A Day May 6th. We need to convince about 25 Dems in the house and 8 in the Senate to support it, so it passes with veto-proof majorities. How do we get them on board? Someone may have a better idea, but for now, I think we can say "we must have uniform state level laws only because if municipalities write their own ordinances it turns law abiding citizens into criminals and impacts minorities the most. Women, LGBT, black, latino, and disabled are among society's most vulnerable and in most need of defending themselves with deadly force. If you oppose this bill, you are leaving these people on the street, defenseless!"
    Last edited by longcall911; April 4th, 2019 at 09:16 AM. Reason: changed number in senate from 5 to 8
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

Default Re: Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto pushing for bans on assault weapons and more.

Longcall911 makes a good point, that it would be great if we could promote and support a Preemption bill on 2A Day and not just oppose anti-2A bills. Either way it’s good to keep our focus on the State Legislature.

I agree that a march or demonstration will expose the Pittsburgh ordinance for the sham it is.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I hope you are right. It could turn ugly.
    The thing to focus on is being EXTREMELY diligent in making sure that no provocateurs are slipped into our groups. THAT is what will ruin it for us, force the cops to take action and make us ALL look bad, gun owners and cops alike while the Mayor and his cronies get to say "I told you so". This I fear the most, with the money they seem to have backing them and as history goes they will stop at NOTHING and if it means playing dirty to get what they want they will. They are playing a PR game, so are we.

I saw a few suspicious things last time at the rally but nothing came of it and everything went off fine. Maybe it was nothing, maybe it wasn't given the right opportunity to be something, I don't know. This time, people need to be extremely vocal, myself included when they see something suspicious because it's coming. We all kind of split up too but that made communication hard between us. Either we need to set up remote comms or stay together so we can address potential problems immediately. I am a HAM and brought my HT with but there wasn't anyone else I could reach except for the local police channels.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Gixxer View Post
    The thing to focus on is being EXTREMELY diligent in making sure that no provocateurs are slipped into our groups. THAT is what will ruin it for us, force the cops to take action and make us ALL look bad, gun owners and cops alike while the Mayor and his cronies get to say "I told you so". This I fear the most, with the money they seem to have backing them and as history goes they will stop at NOTHING and if it means playing dirty to get what they want they will. They are playing a PR game, so are we.

I saw a few suspicious things last time at the rally but nothing came of it and everything went off fine. Maybe it was nothing, maybe it wasn't given the right opportunity to be something, I don't know. This time, people need to be extremely vocal, myself included when they see something suspicious because it's coming. We all kind of split up too but that made communication hard between us. Either we need to set up remote comms or stay together so we can address potential problems immediately. I am a HAM and brought my HT with but there wasn't anyone else I could reach except for the local police channels.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mr_Gixxer again.

I also saw some suspicious stuff at the rally, but then I'm pretty sure we were standing right next to each other so that makes sense.

If we decide to march in defiance of this law having a visible dedicated group on comms to police bad behavior before it can turn into something is absolutely something that should be considered. I know it would ruffle feathers, but I'm with Gixxer. The opposition won't think twice about putting a provocateur in with the group especially if it's an unsanctioned and unpermitted display of defiance. Shit they rolled out SWAT and how many other tactical teams just for the council meeting. If they get wind that 300 guys with ARs are going to march down Liberty Avenue at midday, the last thing we need is some two faced leftist filtering into the crowd with firecrackers.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I hope you are right. It could turn ugly.
    Maybe but I doubt it. People keep assuming this is a felony. It's nothing more than a traffic ticket. I think the cops would be more focused on just peace keeping based on my experience.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    I was interested in some parts until I saw the prices.

That's a sexy green gun. Calm down, I AM talking about the RIFLE.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Maybe but I doubt it. People keep assuming this is a felony. It's nothing more than a traffic ticket. I think the cops would be more focused on just peace keeping based on my experience.
    That ticket will go to a magistrate, depending on the location of the incident. It may be useful to game it a little, if anyone knows of a sympathetic judge that’s likely to dismiss it. I’m not saying to call up magistrates and ask (probably illegal anyhow) but people who work around the courts know enough about the judges to provide some insight (and obviously this should not be a public discussion.) Just food for thought.

Pittsburgh magistrates- https://www.alleghenycourts.us/distr...s/offices.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    For me, it is not good enough to wait until/unless people are fined.

That is a trick that they used for decades. They put up signs "no firearms in the park". Then they do not enforce it. So, no one is ever "harmed" by the ordinance and therefore no one ever has standing in court. Meanwhile, the average person complies and an illegal law lives on.

I believe we need a 3 part strategy, all occurring simultaneously.
    1. Defiance
    2. Litigation
    3. Enactment

Defiance is obvious enough.

Litigation is us getting behind FOAC/Prince Law financially. Yes, I know that many have issue with this. I am not happy about past positions taken by these entities, either. But, I am able to put that aside and get behind the only ones in the legal fight right now. If someone else forms a PAC & hires a lawyer too, I'd consider supporting them. For now, there's just one legal force and I'm willing to get on board with them. So much so, we are collecting money in the Lehigh Valley to do just that. LVTP.org/donate

Enactment: There are (or will be) two bills to strengthen preemption (what was previously Act 192). Rep Mark Keller just introduced his (here...) but bill text is not yet posted. Sen. Langerholc should have his ready within the next few days (it was SB 5 last year).

In my opinion, we need to be pushing these two bills hard, especially on 2A Day May 6th. We need to convince about 25 Dems in the house and 8 in the Senate to support it, so it passes with veto-proof majorities. How do we get them on board? Someone may have a better idea, but for now, I think we can say "we must have uniform state level laws only because if municipalities write their own ordinances it turns law abiding citizens into criminals and impacts minorities the most. Women, LGBT, black, latino, and disabled are among society's most vulnerable and in most need of defending themselves with deadly force. If you oppose this bill, you are leaving these people on the street, defenseless!"
    Well said and I couldn't agree more. I'm making another substantial donation to FOAC/Prince and I'm happy to lead the poofa defiance.
    Last edited by Justin///M; April 4th, 2019 at 02:16 PM.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Golf View Post
    That ticket will go to a magistrate, depending on the location of the incident. It may be useful to game it a little, if anyone knows of a sympathetic judge that’s likely to dismiss it. I’m not saying to call up magistrates and ask (probably illegal anyhow) but people who work around the courts know enough about the judges to provide some insight (and obviously this should not be a public discussion.) Just food for thought.

Pittsburgh magistrates- https://www.alleghenycourts.us/distr...s/offices.aspx
    Game it how? You can't shop for a favorable magistrate.

(Allegheny County)

From. Our experience. You get a court date and you get whoever is on the bench that date and hope for the best

Page 51 of 78 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast