Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK VS AR

Default Re: AK VS AR

I am another who has several of both. I’ve noticed that I tend to take the ar’s to the range much more than the ak’s. I took an ak to the range this past weekend for the first time in a long time(years). So long that it took me a second or two to remember how to lock the mag in. But I had a ton of fun shooting it.

If I had to pick though, I would go with the ar. Ton’s of fun and I have never had a problem with them . Not to mention accessories are very easy to find. Common things like mags tend to be cheaper also.

Can’t go wrong with either. But after years of shooting both, I’ve become more of an ar guy.

(Lehigh County)

I like the magazine feed/eject of the AR and the fact that the bolt locks open on the last round.

I like the safety on the AK since it doubles as a dust cover.

I like the standard muzzle break on the AK compared to the flash hider on the AR.

I have a broken left elbow that doesn't supinate fully and makes it difficult to get a proper foregrip on a long gun and the AK feels more comfortable than the AR to me. I do have a vertical fore grip on my AR that helps there.
    NRA Life Member

(Lehigh County)

BTW I heard this at my LGS last week. There was an explosion at the Cugir Arms Factory in Romania last month and may result in the end of Century Arms importing of WASR AKs. He had one WASR 10 on the wall for $729 and doesn't think he'll be getting more.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...y-kills-woman/
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    BTW I heard this at my LGS last week. There was an explosion at the Cugir Arms Factory in Romania last month and may result in the end of Century Arms importing of WASR AKs. He had one WASR 10 on the wall for $729 and doesn't think he'll be getting more.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...y-kills-woman/
    From whats been said it was only a small portion of the factory and it should not delay production importation up very much at all. It's more likely that Century themselves will slow importation down on purpose so they can push their latest dumpster of an AK the VSAK onto the ignorant public.
    Last edited by Hodgie; December 5th, 2018 at 08:08 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

The AR15 platform has a definitive edge in ergonomics and human engineering.

(Bucks County)

AR because..Merica!

(Philadelphia County)

This was a harder question a few years back when ARs were expensive and AKs cheap.

Today, if you want a cheaper, better, easier shooter that's more fun at the range and better at HD - AR all the way.

If you want a stupidly reliable survival weapon, that can take nearly all North American game and will last till the end of the world (provided you saved enough ammo), AK.

(Butler County)

The correct answer is .....Both

(Berks County)

Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Montgomery County)

I'll keep it relatively simple: Nothing, and everything. Let me explain.

Both are, today, just as accurate, and can be just as controllable, though it is easier to handle a '15. You can get a '74 which will be more like a '15 for recoil, or get a '47 in 5.56.

Accuracy: Your standard off the rack military rifles standard for accuracy is 4 moa(4 inches at a 100 yards, 8 at 200 etc.). Both guns are gonna be well under that these days. The more you pay, the more accuracy you buy. Precision and combat effectiveness are different, and both guns are combat effective to 600 yards.

Reliability: same. you are not in SF, and TBH, zombies are not real. Army standards want a '15 to be reliable for 7,000 rounds with no maintenance. Every '15 that is quality will do that, piston or D.I.

Cleaning: AK platforms are simpler, as are piston AR's. I will never buy a D.I gun. I don't think they suck, I just am too lazy to spend more time than is necessary to clean a gun.

Accessories: sky is the limit for both these days.

Ergonomics: AR's take the cake. sorry AK guys and gals, but fire control on AR's make more sense. Magazines not having to be "rocked" in make more sense. This is why I will never own an AK other than just to have one.

If you want to talk about malfunctions, here we go: use the proper ammo, magazines, and don't screw around with the recoil system, and you should never have a problem inside of 7,000 rounds without cleaning. The worst malfunction you can have with an AR, that does not exist with AK's, is when a spent case does not eject, and gets stuck between the gas key, and charging handle. It is just as a complex malfunction to clear as a double feed, but you have to use your finger to clear that spent shell by pushing back on the bolt face(tons of videos on this).

So, what does it come down to? I would always pick an AR over an AK. Easier to use, more ergonomic, more efficient. If you just like AK's and don't care for any of that, more power to you, get an AK.
    Last edited by coppery; December 13th, 2018 at 06:57 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast