Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK VS AR

(Chester County)

Default Re: AK VS AR

I greatly prefer the AR-15 for its ergonomics, modulatiry, and accuracy. Mine have all been very reliable, whereas I did have the occassional hickup with my AK's. For Combloc rifles, I prefer the SKS over the AK.

(Chester County)

I own both and enjoy both for their own abilities, which overlap on 90%+ of what they were designed to do. With AR prices in the low hundreds and Commbloc AK prices ascending into the high hundreds, there is no reason to spend more for the AK to do the same thing you can do with an AR. IMO, buy a decent $500ish AR and spend the difference on ammo and optics. Now go shoot and shoot some more.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Baratheon View Post
    I apologize if this has already been discussed but I am curious as to what the differences would be in the AK platform vs the AR platform for todays modern sporting rifles? What would be the pros and cons of each and do you prefer one over the other? From what I have noticed, it seems there are a lot more accessories for the AR rifles for customization. But is one more reliable and enjoyable to shoot? More accurate?
    NOPE never ever, your a trail blazer, be sure to ask about Glocks vs- well anything, 9 vs 45- we need one of those threads. The price point advantages of Hi-points. Of course the burning like a meth house- OC VS-CC.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    NOPE never ever, your a trail blazer, be sure to ask about Glocks vs- well anything, 9 vs 45- we need one of those threads. The price point advantages of Hi-points. Of course the burning like a meth house- OC VS-CC.
    Don't forget Dick's.

(Allegheny County)

I used to prefer AK47, but that was based on some things that have changed, and some common internet "truths" that turned out to be not so black and white.

Used to be the AK was the choice for people without unlimited funds - AK47 was leaps and bounds less expensive than an AR15.
    Now it's the complete opposite. I had to sell one of my AKs a few years back and regret it because the price they command NOW makes me sick. Not sure I'll ever replace it.

Used to be common to think that AK47 is "unbreakable" while the AR15 is "prone to failures". I think that over the years, the AR15 has proven itself to be reliable enough to prove that one wrong. Hell, even with all the "budget builds" out there, if the AR was prone to failure, we would hear about problems every single day considering the vast number of "cheap ARs" in private hands.

I've come to prefer the ergonomics, light weight, and ability to customize the AR15.
    I started out with an AK. Used to have 2 and after selling, I have 1.
    I now have "more than 5" AR15s.

Being able to build them one part at a time sure is a big bonus too! It's like layaway - in a box in the basement!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorwash View Post
    Don't forget Dick's.
    Emptymag - it's for you...

Here's a guy's opinion who has fought in real battles and now trains people for a living on both platforms.

Personally I have several of each and love both platforms for what they are, rather then hating them for what they are not.

I will say which ever you choose if it's going to be your one and only and one of your plans is to depend on it for SD or SHTF then don't cheap out and buy a decent quality factory built rifle if you go AR15 and that doesn't mean you have to spend $1K plus.

If you go AK DO NOT buy any American made AK rifle period. If you are unsure just ask before you drop your cash. Entry level with great reliability is a WASR-10 and you can find them new and used used for $600-$700.00. You can find used Chinese MAK-90's for $800.00 which is a great rifle and new Arsenal builds under $1K.

The only American built AK I would personally buy now is built by PSA only because of how good their warranty and repair service is but for a one and only I wouldn't want to run the risk of sending a lemon back and forth and never really trusting it.

Last edited by Hodgie; December 5th, 2018 at 11:55 AM.

Here is the benefits of the AK's. The only thing I strongly disagree with him on is the standard attached scope rails not holding zero. I and many others have not had loss of zero issues when using a quality scope mount.

Last edited by Hodgie; December 5th, 2018 at 11:42 AM.

Easier to reload to feed the AR than the AK

Ahh-hem!

vz58.jpg

VZ-58 , the anti-AK!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast