Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Wayne County)

Default Ruger SR762, good deal?

The local FFL by my house has a Ruger SR762 AR10 in 7.62 nato that the employee claims is used but never fired. It's on sale for $1500 firm. It comes with 2 20 round magazines and a soft shell case. I don't know if he's telling the truth when he says used but never fired. It looks pretty new, but don't know if it was just cleaned. I never owned or shot an AR10, just heard good things about them. Any advise on this one?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger SR762, good deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    The local FFL by my house has a Ruger SR762 AR10 in 7.62 nato that the employee claims is used but never fired. It's on sale for $1500 firm. It comes with 2 20 round magazines and a soft shell case. I don't know if he's telling the truth when he says used but never fired. It looks pretty new, but don't know if it was just cleaned. I never owned or shot an AR10, just heard good things about them. Any advise on this one?
    It's been a while since I looked at them but I thought they were 1500 new but maybe I'm thinking of the 5.56 rifles. Check gunbroker or gunsamerica and see what others are asking to see if 1500 is a good price.

These sold between $1600 and $1700 NIB so $1500.00 on a used rifle is not that great of a deal. You can get a brand new Stag .308 with a good amount of bells and whistles along with a life time barrel replacement if you ever wear it out for the same price or less when they are on sale. The S&W M&P Sport can be found for under $800.00 and there should be a few offerings from Aero Precision in same price range of the used Ruger as well.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    These sold between $1600 and $1700 NIB so $1500.00 on a used rifle is not that great of a deal. You can get a brand new Stag .308 with a good amount of bells and whistles along with a life time barrel replacement if you ever wear it out for the same price or less when they are on sale. The S&W M&P Sport can be found for under $800.00 and there should be a few offerings from Aero Precision in same price range of the used Ruger as well.
    NIB and “used but never fired” is the same thing i think right, its only fired at the factory for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Will3212 View Post
    NIB and “used but never fired” is the same thing i think right, its only fired at the factory for testing.
    Used is used as far as I’m concerned. When the gun shop bought it off the original owner they didn’t pay their normal wholesale price they most likely gave the guy 40% of what he originally paid for it.

I would at least ask to field strip and inspect before I purchase it.

This all being said I’m not even sure the SR308 rifles were any good. I would definitely do some research on it.

(Wyoming County)

OP I don't know if I'm telling you anything you don't already know. The Ruger SR 762 price reflects that it is a piston gun. Likewise the SR556 retailed for $1600 which is what I paid vs their D.I. AR556 which folks could score for ~$500ish.

The 762 has a 16.5" barrel iirc. The hand guard is probably going to be proprietary. I don't think I saw any reviews that spoke highly about its precision. ~2-3 moa. I don't have a .308 AR. If I wanted one with a piston I would probably choose the Ruger based on its price vs. brands like PWS or POF etc. that have really pricey .308s. If I wanted a DI I would be torn between a S&W M&P 10 or a PSA 10 ymmv

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    OP I don't know if I'm telling you anything you don't already know. The Ruger SR 762 price reflects that it is a piston gun. Likewise the SR556 retailed for $1600 which is what I paid vs their D.I. AR556 which folks could score for ~$500ish.

The 762 has a 16.5" barrel iirc. The hand guard is probably going to be proprietary. I don't think I saw any reviews that spoke highly about its precision. ~2-3 moa. I don't have a .308 AR. If I wanted one with a piston I would probably choose the Ruger based on its price vs. brands like PWS or POF etc. that have really pricey .308s. If I wanted a DI I would be torn between a S&W M&P 10 or a PSA 10 ymmv
    The S&W is all proprietary parts, and they wont sell them to you.

I would open it up to check for signs of carrier tilt, that would be a dead give away on how much it was shot, if at all like they claim.
    After 2012 Ruger implemented a fix so maybe a serial # check for the year built would be wise as well.

http://apexgunsmithing.com/sr-762-bolt-group/

I have the SR556 flavor and it runs great, typical shitty Ruger trigger & is a bit on the heavy side...other than that it's a great firearm.