Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Mag Ban Question

Being the law abiding subject that I am, I would like to try and comply with NJ mag ban.

All my AR mags are hexmags are it looks like I can buy the hexmag 10rd insert. What are the pooofa's thoughts on the legality of that?

Part of me thinks its illegal as its reversible, but, I was able to buy 15rd mag hexmags in NJ which are easily reversible to 30rd mags.

(I know, I know, move yadda yadda)
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Mag Ban Question

My opinion, best thing you can do is burn your house down, collect the insurance money, move out of that shit-hole state! Or, burn it down and don’t collect the money, move out! Either way, your life improves immeasurably!
    I’m kidding about the insurance fraud thing!

(Allegheny County)

It doesn't matter what our opinion is. What matters is what the law says.

Maybe I don't understand the question?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    It doesn't matter what our opinion is. What matters is what the law says.

Maybe I don't understand the question?
    The law states any mag alteration to meet the new requirements must be permanent. That is my hiccup.

Odds are, my mags are disappearing and I will order legit 10rd ones for the interim.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Allegheny County)

This is where semantics come into play, and hexmag seems to be walking the line very tightly.

Hexmag doesn't sell a 30 round magazine modified into a 10 round, they sell a 10 round magazine that happens to be the same size as a 30 round. And if you go modifying that magazine to do something other than what the manufacturer intended, well, that's on you.

But you're talking about modifying a 30 round magazine to hold 10. Are you going to keep the 30 round components? If so, that's temporary. If you throw the parts away you could claim it was permanent, but then the gov goes "but it says 30 on it, so if you modified it to hold 10, you have the ability to make it hold 30 again".

In NJ if you're at the range and not loading more than 10 or 15 or however many, can a cop just walk up and say "let me see your magazine!"? If not, and they're counting how many rounds your magazines hold and are scrutinizing how readily revertable they are to 30, you're already in deep for something else.

(Wayne County)

We drilled a hole and put in pop rivers right at the level the mag became legal. Grind the pop rivet out when you leave the sanctuary state of NewJersey and become free.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    ...leave the sanctuary state of New Jersey and become freeer.
    FIFY.

(Bucks County)

I read somewhere that anything reversible is not permanent.

The pop rivet approach is obviously reversible, and it raises an interesting legal position....that being....possible prosecution for what a person might or could do at a future time. Seems there should be precedent for that. But, personally learning from legal proceedings is a very expensive way to learn.

I believe I have read that two-part epoxy used to reduce the mag to legal is considered a permanent alteration.

I bought two 10-round mags for my Glock, and painted the floor plate take-down button silver for at-a-glance correct mag for PRNJ.

I rationalized the expenditure by snickering that NJ caused me to spend $$ in the gun industry. Idiots.

(Berks County)

Sell 'em cheap to the Keystone crew and restock with legal beagles.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    I read somewhere that anything reversible is not permanent.

The pop rivet approach is obviously reversible, and it raises an interesting legal position....that being....possible prosecution for what a person might or could do at a future time. Seems there should be precedent for that. But, personally learning from legal proceedings is a very expensive way to learn.

I believe I have read that two-part epoxy used to reduce the mag to legal is considered a permanent alteration.

I bought two 10-round mags for my Glock, and painted the floor plate take-down button silver for at-a-glance correct mag for PRNJ.

I rationalized the expenditure by snickering that NJ caused me to spend $$ in the gun industry. Idiots.
    Pop rivets were good enough to make mags that you could not disassemble without tools/drilling and were acceptable back in the original 1990s ban/limits. I still have a couple. I also resuscitated a couple of NJ limited mags that were 17 standard and 15 limited (old NJ limit) and those were pop riveted and glued. A couple of new base plates and removal of the limiting blocks worked wonders.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast