Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Mossberg Shockwave and concealed carry or loaded whil carried in a Car

I am not sure if this is the correct place or not.

First thing, I do have a valid PA LTCF.

Unfortunatley, I have the need to travel into Philly to take my wife for medical care not available locally. Having had the bad fortune of her discharge from the hospital coming shortly after a scheduled shutdown of the PA Turnpike for over night construction, we were foreced to travel through North Philly around 1AM in the morning, let me just say that was "a bit concerning" since due ot medical reasons my wife's mobility was very limited.

So, with all of that said and since my wife continues to require medical care that will bring us back to Philly frequently, I have updaged my carry pistol to a larger caliber and also purchased a Mossberg Shockwave, as the sites of the late night trip made a profound impression.

My understanding is since I have a valid LTCF, I am able to carry a loaded firearm (hand gun or other) within my vehicle, and if needed, I am able to walk the city streets... not that I plan to... My concern is if we again are forced to travel at night through North Philly, my vehicle becomes or something worse occurs (use you imagination after watching the Philly news) and I need to move my wife to a safe place while possibly pushing her in a wheel chair.

I appreciate any suggestions and please remember my purpose is to keep my wife safe and avoid problems, legal or otherwise.

Thank You

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave and concealed carry or loaded whil carried in a Car

You are correct. A valid LTCF allows you to legally possess and carry both a loaded handgun and a loaded shockwave in your vehicle, as well as openly or concealed on your person if you wish.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave and concealed carry or loaded whil carried in a Car

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    You are correct. A valid LTCF allows you to legally possess and carry both a loaded handgun and a loaded shockwave in your vehicle, as well as openly or concealed on your person if you wish.
    Honest question here, is a shockwave not considered a long gun?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Honest question here, is a shockwave not considered a long gun?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    When they were first released there was serious consideration that they could be Prohibited Offensive Weapons that wouldn't be legal to own.

However, the PSP has pretty much put their blessing on them and determined them to be "firearms", which is classified the same as a handgun. ..requiring a PSP Record of Sale. Which also means your LTCF allows you to carry them concealed or in a vehicle.

Pretty much all of the gun shops around here sell them, or have them listed on their websites, or will order you one if you want it.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; December 2nd, 2018 at 08:05 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Warren County)

Couple of extra mags for your primary carry gun should be step 1.

If
    IF
    IF.... the shockwave is a pistol ( I don't know)........
    You will be OK legally... eventually.

I cannot imagine any beat cop knowing the item in question is legal, because for years and years the only way to create something like that is to cut down a shotgun. And it is still illegal to reduce the barrel length to less than 18", as far as I know.
    So you are gonna face lots of legal buffoonery if the tool gets used, or Officer Friendly spots it and gets all proactive on you.

How much time / $ do you want to spend dealing with it?

Consider...
    You are driving a weapon. It's expensive, but it's a weapon.

AR15 pistols are a thing and they ARE pistols. Lots of badass firepower there.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    No. Standby while I pull other posts and info to support that.
    Thank you for the info, I was not aware of that.

(Bucks County)

I suspect if you get stopped at 1 AM in Philadelphia with a shokwave a judge will be answering your question. Not that night, but when you go to court.

It should be legal and you should not be hassled..........but this is what I suspect will happen.

Good luck.

(Northampton County)

In previous times in my life I have worked in some bad areas, but at those times I did not have a very sick wife with me, so the situation was different.

To me the prefered asnwer would be to avoid the place all together, but it simply is not an option since the required care is not available locally.

And having made the trip at night as stated above while driving through what seemed to be more 3rd world country than anything it has really made me have to think.

During the last trip we did have someone approach us with something planned, pulling a ski mask down over his head before approaching my truck was a good indicator, but in that case we were able to drive away.

I have worked in areas where this type of thing is "more planned" and the participants first block you in from the front and rear, or simply ram the target vehicle before approaching.

With all of this said, I would not wish this on anyone, and sincerly do appreciate all of the responses it has proven a great "sounding board.

Thank You

(Montgomery County)

Train, train, train with that Shockwave. You would in many ways be better served going full NFA short barrel shotgun with a traditional stock.

That said, the Shockwave is a hoot, tons of fun. I don't technically have one, but I do have a standard 500 with the same grip and an 18.5" barrel (still legal to own/shoot, just not for loaded in vehicle purposes in PA).

Someday, I'll "upgrade" to the real deal, probably then SBS my current "shockwave."

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by flejl View Post
    In previous times in my life I have worked in some bad areas, but at those times I did not have a very sick wife with me, so the situation was different.

To me the prefered asnwer would be to avoid the place all together, but it simply is not an option since the required care is not available locally.

And having made the trip at night as stated above while driving through what seemed to be more 3rd world country than anything it has really made me have to think.

During the last trip we did have someone approach us with something planned, pulling a ski mask down over his head before approaching my truck was a good indicator, but in that case we were able to drive away.

I have worked in areas where this type of thing is "more planned" and the participants first block you in from the front and rear, or simply ram the target vehicle before approaching.

With all of this said, I would not wish this on anyone, and sincerly do appreciate all of the responses it has proven a great "sounding board.

Thank You
    Philly is bad, especially in some of the rougher neighborhoods.

As someone said previously, the vehicle gives you a lot of "get away" option... I've had to use that option a couple times, just oddly enough not in Philadelphia. The closest I came to having to draw was on a sleepy back country road in Berks County, oddly enough. Bad can happen everywhere.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast