Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave and concealed carry or loaded whil carried in a Car

I normally carry a mid size 1911 in 45ACP, but I frequently replace that with a SAR K2 45 when I go to Philly.

The Shockwave is in addition to what I already carry.

From what I have seen, if things go bad, they will go "really bad" and I will only have myself to depend on.

Again, this is "last resort stuff", but from what i have seen of the area and the "body count" on the nightly news, it seems like there are not allot of options.
    Last edited by flejl; December 5th, 2018 at 12:30 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave and concealed carry or loaded whil carried in a Car

Quote Originally Posted by flejl View Post
    I normally carry a mid size 1911 in 45ACP, but I frequently replace that with a SAR K2 45 when I go to Philly.

From what I have seen, if things go bad, they will go "really bad" and I will only have myself to depend on.

Again, this is "last resort stuff", but from what i have seen of the area and the "body count" on the nightly news, it seems like there are not allot of options.
    I visit Kensington, one of the worst areas in the city, every Tuesday evening and I'm confident I can deter/overcome any threat with my HK USP 45C and three magazines. I don't own a shockwave because I see it more as a novelty gun that may be better suited for HD than concealed in a vehicle. Where would you secure the shockwave in your vehicle? How long will it take for you to get to the shockwave and get it into action? How many rounds does the shockwave hold? How effective/accurate is the shockwave at distances greater than 10 yards? Lots of issues to think about and consider.

You're better off maintaining situational awareness, be prepared to flee first, if you stay on main streets like Broad, Market, Chestnut etc. and don't venture off into neighborhoods you should be OK. If you do decide to get a shockwave be prepared to practice, practice and more practice until deploying the shockwave becomes second nature.
    Last edited by wellcraft; December 5th, 2018 at 05:06 PM.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    I visit Kensington, one of the worst areas in the city, every Tuesday evening and I'm confident I can deter/overcome any threat with my HK USP 45C and three magazines. I don't own a shockwave because I see it more as a novelty gun that may be better suited for HD than concealed in a vehicle. Where would you secure the shockwave in your vehicle? How long will it take for you to get to the shockwave and get it into action? How many rounds does the shockwave hold? How effective/accurate is the shockwave at distances greater than 10 yards? Lots of issues to think about and consider.

You're better off maintaining situational awareness, be prepared to flee first, if you stay on main streets like Broad, Market, Chestnut etc. and don't venture off into neighborhoods you should be OK. If you do decide to get a shockwave be prepared to practice, practice and more practice until deploying the shockwave becomes second nature.
    This is my thinking as well. The shockwave is cool, but not that practical. I'm thinking you'd be better served by keeping extra mags on hand. If you're going to do something more, an AR pistol with extra mags would be more practical. Quicker and way less frequent reloads.

Myself, I'd choose something like a glock 17/19 and keep a stash of 33rd mags on hand in the car. Possibly carbine that uses the Glock mags as well if I really thought things might escalate.

(Bucks County)

I am not sure if this is the correct place or not.

First thing, I do have a valid PA LTCF.

Unfortunatley, I have the need to travel into Philly to take my wife for medical care not available locally. Having had the bad fortune of her discharge from the hospital coming shortly after a scheduled shutdown of the PA Turnpike for over night construction, we were foreced to travel through North Philly around 1AM in the morning, let me just say that was "a bit concerning" since due ot medical reasons my wife's mobility was very limited.......
    First of all...best luck to you and your wife. Congrats on taking steps to upgrade your defenses, and remember that no matter which option you choose it's better to be tried by 12 etc....whatever it takes to protect your wife. And find another route!!
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by buxbandit View Post
    First of all...best luck to you and your wife. Congrats on taking steps to upgrade your defenses, and remember that no matter which option you choose it's better to be tried by 12 etc....whatever it takes to protect your wife. And find another route!!
    What About a glock with a micro roni and 33rd mags?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    What About a glock with a micro roni and 33rd mags?

That works best with a G18

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post

That works best with a G18
    I know and I want one! Lol

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I know and I want one! Lol
    It's a hoot to shoot. It has a ridiculously high cyclic rate though. I can't imagine trying to control it in just pistol form. The Roni kit gives it a controllable feel. Definitely grin inducing though.

I shot the mcx full auto the same day. You can hear the difference in the cyclic rate. Way easier to keep on target than the 18.

(Clinton County)

Here is another thread with bad conflicting information. Everything I've read says that concealing a shockwave or similar "title 1 firearm" "on the person" changes it to a title 2 AOW irregardless of PA laws and LTCF definitions. Now what "on the person" means who the hell knows. Attached to me either under a coat or in a bookbag on my back? Or is in a violin case carried by hand not "on the person"?

The ATF had previously stated that using something like an arm brace in a manner in which it was not designed does not automatically change it into a stock so you would assume that this would apply to other instances of misusing something. However http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/u...ATF-3-2-17.pdf states that "if the subject firearm is concealed on a person, the classification with regard to the NFA may change".
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Washington County)

ATF is full of shit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast