Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave and concealed carry or loaded whil carried in a Car

Quote Originally Posted by flejl View Post
    I am not sure if this is the correct place or not.

First thing, I do have a valid PA LTCF.

Unfortunatley, I have the need to travel into Philly to take my wife for medical care not available locally. Having had the bad fortune of her discharge from the hospital coming shortly after a scheduled shutdown of the PA Turnpike for over night construction, we were foreced to travel through North Philly around 1AM in the morning, let me just say that was "a bit concerning" since due ot medical reasons my wife's mobility was very limited.

So, with all of that said and since my wife continues to require medical care that will bring us back to Philly frequently, I have updaged my carry pistol to a larger caliber and also purchased a Mossberg Shockwave, as the sites of the late night trip made a profound impression.

My understanding is since I have a valid LTCF, I am able to carry a loaded firearm (hand gun or other) within my vehicle, and if needed, I am able to walk the city streets... not that I plan to... My concern is if we again are forced to travel at night through North Philly, my vehicle becomes or something worse occurs (use you imagination after watching the Philly news) and I need to move my wife to a safe place while possibly pushing her in a wheel chair.

I appreciate any suggestions and please remember my purpose is to keep my wife safe and avoid problems, legal or otherwise.

Thank You
    I'm with Carson on this one.
    Your best move is to pick another driving route to your destination so you can avoid the bad parts of town as much as possible.
    Being well armed is no guarantee of success if attacked, and you are unnecessarily risking your life and your wife's life.

So by all means carry what you wish, but please also be sensible and avoid the danger altogether when possible.
    You are welcome to send a private message to me or Carson (or other Philly guys) if you would like better directions and don't want to post them in the open forum.

Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Mossberg Shockwave and concealed carry or loaded whil carried in a Car

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    I'm with Carson on this one.
    Your best move is to pick another driving route to your destination so you can avoid the bad parts of town as much as possible.
    Being well armed is no guarantee of success if attacked, and you are unnecessarily risking your life and your wife's life.

So by all means carry what you wish, but please also be sensible and avoid the danger altogether when possible.
    You are welcome to send a private message to me or Carson (or other Philly guys) if you would like better directions and don't want to post them in the open forum.

Best of luck to you.
    Bern-
    This.
    An extra 10-15 minutes is always worth the peace of mind.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Couple of extra mags for your primary carry gun should be step 1.

If
    IF
    IF.... the shockwave is a pistol ( I don't know)........
    You will be OK legally... eventually.

I cannot imagine any beat cop knowing the item in question is legal, because for years and years the only way to create something like that is to cut down a shotgun. And it is still illegal to reduce the barrel length to less than 18", as far as I know.
    So you are gonna face lots of legal buffoonery if the tool gets used, or Officer Friendly spots it and gets all proactive on you.

How much time / $ do you want to spend dealing with it?

Consider...
    You are driving a weapon. It's expensive, but it's a weapon.

AR15 pistols are a thing and they ARE pistols. Lots of badass firepower there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I suspect if you get stopped at 1 AM in Philadelphia with a shokwave a judge will be answering your question. Not that night, but when you go to court.

It should be legal and you should not be hassled..........but this is what I suspect will happen.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC3531 View Post
    Do not conceal a shockwave. They exist I. A gray area of non nfa because of overall length of 26" (an arbitrary number that they see as non concealable) concealing it could end up with charges of having an unregistered aow.
    Not a gray area. It's completely legal because it's classified as a firearm, as has been stated. The real issue is the two previous quotes. You will likely be detained, arrested, and have your Shockwave confiscated. You'll win in the end, but expect much time, effort, and likely money lost. Of course, you might get your legal fees back in a civil case, which will cost you more time and effort.

(Jefferson County)

The Shockwave is a "firearm" or "other firearm" to federal law GCA'68. It isn't a handgun or shotgun, nor a NFA device.

To Pennsylvania it is a "firearm", so it is covered by your LTCF. And the same rules apply requiring a LTCF for carrying it concealed or in a vehicle.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Northampton County)

On a normal basis the path in and out of the city is NE PA extension to the Schuylkill Expressway to the University City area. I have reviewed the crime statistics and they are extremlynot bad, its once you leave the Schuylkill or University City area it seems to change.

As long as I can stay on the above route and we enter/exit during day light, things are ok.

In the case I first mentioned, a series of events just played out in my wife was not released until she finished the full in patient "chemo" treatment, that required 96 straight hours of medication, so each of three inpatients treatments went 5-6 days each, on top of three out patent treatments and 7-8 weeks of radiation.

Then the Turnpike was shutdown at midnight, we did not leave the hospital until 1AM, so we were forced to navigate by GPS, not the best option, but my wife simply had nothing left in the tank and it was get her home or she simply would have given up and let nature take its course.

By the time she completed all of this she could hardly walk and I spent a great deal of time fighting with her because she did not have the strength to keep going. In some ways her health has improved significantly, but she is now fighting the bad side effects of her treatment. We still continue to travel to Philly for her care and will most likely have to continue this for the rest of her life, as this is her only option.

With all of that said, my first course of action is exit a bad spot if possible and the last option is fire a firearm in self defense due to the moral and legal issues. My main concern here is the legality of having a loaded shockwave in my truck, even with a valid LTCF.

(Lehigh County)

You keep referring to shutting down the Turnpike. Do you mean the Schuykill expressway? If I were in that situation, I would try the East or West river drives up along the Schuykill river to get to city line or I would go West out of the city before I would take the North Philly tour. Maybe even going South to I-95 to get to I-476 then North. Sometimes a map and some common sense is better than a GPS

I wish you and the wife well, in your ongoing journey. Living in and out of hospitals, especially in big cities sucks.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    You keep referring to shutting down the Turnpike. Do you mean the Schuykill expressway? If I were in that situation, I would try the East or West river drives up along the Schuykill river to get to city line or I would go West out of the city before I would take the North Philly tour. Maybe even going South to I-95 to get to I-476 then North. Sometimes a map and some common sense is better than a GPS

I wish you and the wife well, in your ongoing journey. Living in and out of hospitals, especially in big cities sucks.
    I am now assuming they are going to either Penn Presbyterian or University of Pennsylvania since both are near University City and recently PennDott was closing the Schuylkill Expressway overnight, weeknights, from South Street to I-676 which would affect them leaving and heading to the NE EXT. His GPS probably routed them the quickest way possible which probably put them through some West or North Philly neighborhoods.

(Montgomery County)

On a normal basis the path in and out of the city is NE PA extension to the Schuylkill Expressway to the University City area. I have reviewed the crime statistics and they are extremlynot bad, its once you leave the Schuylkill or University City area it seems to change.

As long as I can stay on the above route and we enter/exit during day light, things are ok.

In the case I first mentioned, a series of events just played out in my wife was not released until she finished the full in patient "chemo" treatment, that required 96 straight hours of medication, so each of three inpatients treatments went 5-6 days each, on top of three out patent treatments and 7-8 weeks of radiation.

Then the Turnpike was shutdown at midnight, we did not leave the hospital until 1AM, so we were forced to navigate by GPS, not the best option, but my wife simply had nothing left in the tank and it was get her home or she simply would have given up and let nature take its course.

By the time she completed all of this she could hardly walk and I spent a great deal of time fighting with her because she did not have the strength to keep going. In some ways her health has improved significantly, but she is now fighting the bad side effects of her treatment. We still continue to travel to Philly for her care and will most likely have to continue this for the rest of her life, as this is her only option.

With all of that said, my first course of action is exit a bad spot if possible and the last option is fire a firearm in self defense due to the moral and legal issues. My main concern here is the legality of having a loaded shockwave in my truck, even with a valid LTCF.
    I am very sorry to hear of your wife's declining health.
    May she have a full recovery, and may you both have strength and peace of mind as you manage your difficult circumstances.

With regard to your traveling situation, please go ahead and send me a private message here: http://forum.pafoa.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=30334
    Just give me the general starting point and the hospital name, and I can send you several safer alternative routes for road closures in the future.

Bern-
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Washington County)

My main concern here is the legality of having a loaded shockwave in my truck, even with a valid LTCF.
    It is legal to carry a loaded shockwave on your person or in your vehicle, with a valid LTCF.

(Bucks County)

Before I bothered carrying a bulky, cumbersome weapon like the shockwave I would simply carry a full size pistol I can shoot competently and carry a few magazines.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast