Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default WCO Assaulted by two on ATVs

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/1...rt_river_index

I certainly want to do everything to Help the PA GAme Commission find the suspects. But I also want accurate reporting and a headline that does not wrongly imply or suggest that "Hunters" were responsible for this act.
    Below is my email to Sean Sauro | ssauro@pennlive.com

Sean,

I would like to ask how you decided on the Headline for this story? While I certainly consider the assault of PA Game Commission WCO news worthy. After reading the article you wrote as well as the post by the PA Game Commission. I do not see where you could possibly get the idea that these two suspects were in the act of hunting or that the WCO was conducting a “Hunting Violation”? I do see how it could have been considered a “Trespassing Violation” or a “Prohibited Use of Motorized Vehicles” violation. I read nothing that indicates a “hunting Violation”. Can you please explain your Head line? I find the headline you chose to be misleading with an all too common “anti-Hunting” intention. I would ask that you consider changing your headline by removing the word hunting, to a more accurate descriptor of the incident.

Good Day,

MY NAME Middletown, PA

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: WCO Assaulted by two on ATVs

Quote Originally Posted by PAwhitetailbowhunter View Post
    https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/1...rt_river_index

I certainly want to do everything to Help the PA GAme Commission find the suspects. But I also want accurate reporting and a headline that does not wrongly imply or suggest that "Hunters" were responsible for this act.
    Below is my email to Sean Sauro | ssauro@pennlive.com

Sean,

I would like to ask how you decided on the Headline for this story? While I certainly consider the assault of PA Game Commission WCO news worthy. After reading the article you wrote as well as the post by the PA Game Commission. I do not see where you could possibly get the idea that these two suspects were in the act of hunting or that the WCO was conducting a “Hunting Violation”? I do see how it could have been considered a “Trespassing Violation” or a “Prohibited Use of Motorized Vehicles” violation. I read nothing that indicates a “hunting Violation”. Can you please explain your Head line? I find the headline you chose to be misleading with an all too common “anti-Hunting” intention. I would ask that you consider changing your headline by removing the word hunting, to a more accurate descriptor of the incident.

Good Day,

MY NAME Middletown, PA
    Im local.
    Local word on the street is they were caught hunting illegally and shooting from a SxS, possibly chasing deer out with the buggy as well

(Montgomery County)

Theres a lot of information going around, one story said they took the officers gun and shot him with it. Some say Sxs other say 4 wheelers.
    Color keep changing etc

(Northampton County)

Here is an updated news report with additional details from the PSP.
    https://www.skooknews.com/2018/12/st...ECW578YdapCrXQ
    On Sunday, the Pennsylvania State Police at Schuylkill Haven released additional details into an incident that involved the assault of a Game Commission Officer.

Police say on Saturday December 1st, 2018, around 9:20am, the Pennsylvania Game Commission received a complaint of a hunting violation in a wooded area located off of Peach Mountain Road in Norwegian Township.

At or around 10:00am, a Game Commission officer arrived on scene to investigate the violation, and upon arrival observed two males on ATV's.

The officer approached the males and began to question them. A physical altercation occurred between the officer and the two males at which point the officer discharged one round from his duty weapon.
    The suspects fled the scene on their ATV's towards the Arnot's Addition area.

The officer was transported to Lehigh Valley Medical Center East via ambulance for his injuries sustained during the incident.

Suspect 1 was described as a white male, about 5'7"-5'9", average build, approximately 50-60 years old, long gray hair, long gray goatee that was secured with rubber bands.

Suspect 2 was described as a white male, aabout 5'7"-5'9", average build, approximately 50-60 years old, gray facial hair, and was wearing a white ATV helmet during the altercation.

The suspects were said not to be wearing hunting attire, but were wearing ATV attire.

Anyone with information on the incident or the suspects, should contact the Pennsylvania State Police at Schuylkill Haven at (570) 754-4600

(Bucks County)

Game officer assaulted by two men during hunting violation investigation: police

State police in Schuylkill Haven said the 58-year-old game officer was investigating a reported hunting violation.

Not difficult to reconcile that with the headline. For me, anyway...
    Last edited by Bang; December 2nd, 2018 at 04:59 PM.

(Franklin County)

Why would any armed officer allow two suspects to get that close to him? If you can't get back-up to the scene, and you're too old and out of shape to take care of yourself (even when armed), maybe it's time to be done being a cop - even a bunny cop.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

A martial arts instructor told our class that one taking on two is probably going to be a losing proposition unless you can pick out and take out the tougher of the two real quick without exposing your vulnerable parts to the second one.

The WCO (or any leo in similar situation) was at a disadvantage. You're not allowed to physically disable people until the sufficient provocation arises, and then it is probably too late.

One of the problems is, a leo is not "out there" to prove him/herself a top street fighter. The leo enforces the laws, and the citizen respects the authority. So, back-up is kind of a called for if needed. It is about 6% of people who will be a physical problem. That's why no back-up for the other 94%.
    Last edited by Bang; December 3rd, 2018 at 04:13 PM.

(Northampton County)

They caught the 2 suspects... https://www.republicanherald.com/new...YrR4HSqs9P4wMQ

POTTSVILLE – Two men have been charged by state police at Schuylkill Haven with assaulting a Pennsylvania Game Commission warden on Saturday.
    Trooper Matthew Tonitis charged Wade M. Winemiller, 57, of Wrightsville, and Thomas E. Kelly Jr., 57, of Stewartstown, with assaulting the unidentified officer in a wooded area off Peach Mountain Road in Norwegian Township around 10 a.m.
    Both men are charged with aggravated assault, robbery, resisting arrest, simple assault and multiple charges, Tonitis said.
    Winemiller was taken into custody on Monday, arraigned by on-call Magisterial District Judge Anthony J. Kilker, Shenandoah, and committed to Schuylkill County Prison unable to post $150,000 bail.
    Kelly was taken into custody on Tuesday, arraigned by Magisterial District Judge David A. Plachko, Port Carbon, and released after posting 10-percent of $100,000 bail.
    Tonitis said that at about 9:20 a.m. the game commission received a complaint regarding a hunting violation and then at about 10 a.m. the game commission officer arrived at the scene to investigate.
    It was there the officer, 58 years old, saw two men on ATVs, approached them and started to question the two.
    A physical altercation began between the officers and the ATV riders during which the officer discharged one round from his duty weapon, Tonitis said.
    Dustin Stoner, a game warden supervisor and information and education supervisor with the Southeast Regional Office in Reading, said the injured warden was taken to a Pottsville hospital where he was treated for his injuries and later released.
    Stoner said the warden was working in a law enforcement capacity investigating individuals riding ATVs in an area prohibited from doing so at the Grande Hunter Access Property.
    After assaulting the warden, Stoner said the ATV riders fled the area toward Arnots Addition in Saint Clair leaving the warden at the scene.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Why would any armed officer allow two suspects to get that close to him? If you can't get back-up to the scene, and you're too old and out of shape to take care of yourself (even when armed), maybe it's time to be done being a cop - even a bunny cop.
    All I will say is you don't have a clue !

Quote Originally Posted by Ret-Fed View Post
    All I will say is you don't have a clue !
    Amen!
    ΑΣΦ

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast