Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legal?

(Lawrence County)

Default Legal?

New here so forgive me if this has already been discussed. I do not have a LTCF and am unable to for the next year. I was wondering if it is legal to keep my shotgun in my car indefinitely unloaded with the shells separate. Better to have something rather than nothing in case of emergency. I know I can have it in there unloaded but I can only find "if transporting to and from the range"

Thank you

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Legal?

im no lawyer but i do believe that with out a LTCF you may only transport to and from range. Is there some sort of legal reason as to why you can not get a LTCF for a year?

(Luzerne County)

Yes, you can keep and unloaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle as whether or not you have a LTCF has no bearing on them.

Transportation to and from the range covers “firearms” (handguns for the majority of the public).

My question is, what is preventing you from getting your LTCF? Something more than age (being under 21)?

(Lawrence County)

I'm only 20 years old lol. My main reason for wanting to keep it in my vehicle is the area I live in is not the safest area. It's the middle ground for new york and Detroit drug runners and dealers.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumilicious View Post
    New here so forgive me if this has already been discussed. I do not have a LTCF and am unable to for the next year. I was wondering if it is legal to keep my shotgun in my car indefinitely unloaded with the shells separate. Better to have something rather than nothing in case of emergency. I know I can have it in there unloaded but I can only find "if transporting to and from the range"

Thank you
    From what I understand (IANAL), you can carry a loaded long gun (rifle or shotgun) openly or concealed, without a LTCF.
    But it must be unloaded in a vehicle. Handguns may only be carried from and to range, place of purchase or sale, or repair, without LTCF.

https://firearmsindustryconsultinggr...ying-firearms/

My concern is "IF" where you live is not the safest..............why would you put a shotgun with ammo in a car to be broken into and thus add to more guns on the streets illegally obtained? (Doesn't matter if it's a crap gun or not).
    I'm assuming you have another gun in your home or apartment for defense where in most cases you would most likely need it more than in a car or truck. If you feel you need it in your car or truck, I hope you don't need it in a hurry. (Ammo/shotgun in different locations).
    Just thinking "what good is piece of mind verses how quickly can I reach my piece?"
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumilicious View Post
    I'm only 20 years old lol. My main reason for wanting to keep it in my vehicle is the area I live in is not the safest area. It's the middle ground for new york and Detroit drug runners and dealers.
    Stay away from these areas if possible ! By the time you would be able to reach a shottie in your trunk and load,Well it would be all over . Dont jeopardize your chances of getting a LTCF , There would be a lot less explaing to do . Yes to and from range unloaded in trunk is allowed !

I'd be concerned about Philly PD's interpretation of this:

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.

No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of the first class unless:

(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or

(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section 6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license).
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Luzerne County)

Anyway we can forcibly annex Philly???? It ruins everything!!!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    Anyway we can forcibly annex Philly???? It ruins everything!!!
    Yes with a good argument that 6108 violates PA Article 1 Section 21 and 25, and US Amendment 2 and 14.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast