Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Pencil Barrel Lightweight Mid Length 5.56 Carbine

Clarification: The term "lightweight" should not be read as meaning this was built from sourced out ultra-light parts to build the lightest carbine possible - it's just "lighter than average" due to the pencil barrel and rail. (and to an extent, the stock)
    Sorry if it seemed misleading. The linked thread below (for my wife's carbine) DOES discuss building a truly lightweight carbine. (without paying $5,000)

Ever since building a purpose-built lightweight carbine for my wife, I've been wanting a light carbine just like it, but while hers wasn't THAT expensive to build, it would take more money than I have to spend.
    Instead, I "settled" for getting a PSA complete upper at a super-good price, and mating it to an existing complete lower that I've had for several years.

Ta-da! Instant lightweight carbine!

Before posting the complete carbine, I have a crapload of pics of the upper along with specs.

I took screen shots of all the specs for my records in case the info gets removed from PSA's website...

SKU: 5165450127 (LINK)
    Barrel Length: 16"
    Gas System: Mid-length
    Barrel Profile: Pencil
    Barrel Steel: 4150V Chrome Moly
    Barrel Finish: Nitride
    Chrome Lining: None
    Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28
    Chamber: 5.56 NATO
    Twist Rate: 1 in 7"
    Barrel Extension: M4
    Diameter at Gas Block: .625"
    Gas Block Type: Low-profile
    Muzzle Device: A2 Style Flash Hider
    Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
    Receiver Type: M4
    Hand guard Type: PSA 13.5" Lightweight M-Lok Rail
    Bolt Carrier Group Included: Yes
    Bolt Steel: Carpenter 158, Nickel Boron
    Bolt Carrier Profile: Full-auto
    Charging Handle included: Yes
    Overall Length: 24.5"
    Weight as configured: 3.25 lbs

Barrel: 16" 4150V chrome moly vanadium steel, chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1/7 twist, M4 barrel extension, mid-length gas system and a light weight pencil profile. The barrel is nitride coated and finished off with an 0.625" diameter low profile gas block, PSA 13.5" Lightweight M-lok free float rail and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is machined to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.

Bolt Carrier Group: ToolCraft nickel boron BCG has a bolt made of mil-spec shot-peened Carpenter 158 steel. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec.

Includes: Magpul MBUS Sight Set, Black

__________________________________________________ __

I prefer to buy a part here and a part there over time to spread out the cost, but this price was too good to pass up.

I was initially considering just buying a basic, PSA M4 upper with no BCG, charging handle, or sights for $160, but once I saw this pop up, and I added up the cost to buy the BCG, charging handle, and sights to the basic upper, I was looking at $290 - for a basic, plastic handguard, A2 front sight, carbine length, M4 profile barrel upper.
    This was a no-brainer! For $10 more, I got almost exactly what I wanted - a mid-length gas setup, a pencil barrel, a long M-Lok hand guard, and a BCG that sells for $110 (on sale) all by itself at other vendors.
    And it's already assembled!

Anyway, that's how I decided to buy this particular upper.
    PSA had it shipped to me within 5 days.
    Last edited by Emptymag; December 1st, 2018 at 02:50 PM. Reason: typo

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pencil Barrel Lightweight Mid Length 5.56 Carbine

(Elk County)

Smoking good deal.

Pics of finished build please.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

^^^^^
    What he said.

(Allegheny County)

I'm very happy with this upper. I only have one other PSA upper, and it's just your basic M4 style, and of decent quality, but even though they get good reviews in general, I wasn't sure what to expect.

I think the only "negative" thing I can come up with isn't really much of a negative, so much as an observation that comes as no surprise.
    The slots/cuts in the hand guard have 90 degree edges that feel "sharp" in contrast to other, higher priced hand guards. I have ALG Defense rails and I have a Rainier Arms hand guard made by Samson, and both are more "refined" with the M-LOK slots and other cuts/holes having smoother/beveled edges.

This PSA handguard is in no manner uncomfortable to hold because of it - it's simply an observation that "you get what you pay for".
    I fully expected the PSA rails on these "incredibly good deal" uppers to be of average design and they are.
    Don't get me wrong, the cuts are pretty much flawless, with no scratchy edges - just "crisp" edges. The overall finish is outstanding and I'm really digging the "look" of the way the hand guard is cut - I've seen some really, REALLY basic "slot" designs that didn't seem to have had much thought put into them - I like this design.

There's a QD hole for a sling near the back - I wish they had also put one on the forward end since that's where I have all my other slings attached.

M-LOK slots run the entire bottom as well as on the sides...

Slots are found on the top as well...

Overall, I'm happy with the hand guard. It matches up pretty well with the upper - it's not a flawlessly smooth matchup, but nothing I'm complaining about.
    It's a really SLIM hand guard too. Further photos will illustrate this.

(Allegheny County)

PSA seems to mark all their barrels with caliber and twist rate - I think they should put it on the bottom.
    The bird cage may be replaced some time down the road.

Keep in mind that this is a thin, pencil barrel (although visibly not as thin as the Faxon pencil barrel used in my wife's build) - that hand guard is really small in circumference.

(Allegheny County)

Next up... upper receiver and BCG - tomorrow morning!

(Montgomery County)

Looks good! I got my combat arms upper kit today. I'm pleased with it for the price. I don't know much about quality vs other brands but it seems to be pretty damn good for such budget offerings

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Next up... upper receiver and BCG - tomorrow morning!
    F'ing cliffhangers.

(Allegheny County)

Forge mark on the upper receiver.
    Is this the "splintered A" (Anchor Harvey Aluminum) that I see described in identification charts?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast