Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pencil Barrel Lightweight Mid Length 5.56 Carbine

And full view...

(Allegheny County)

Two updates:

Finally shot the thing this weekend at the group shoot.

A. I think I'm going to like the scope - or at least the concept of this type of scope.
    I did move it forward from where it's sitting in the previous pics so that I get a full field of view when I have it shouldered - it was a bit too close to my eye to get a clear view.

B. Had a few failure to feed issues using Wolf hollow points. Not sure what to make of that.
    A few other types of brass FMJ ran without issue.

Other than that, I like it - nice and light.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

looking sharp, I always run 100 to 150 rounds through any new build using different ammo brands and types before I worry about anything. Usually most problems resolve themselves with little shooting on a new build. you built what I like light weight, I do not like heavy ar's.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ahearn View Post
    looking sharp, I always run 100 to 150 rounds through any new build using different ammo brands and types before I worry about anything. Usually most problems resolve themselves with little shooting on a new build. you built what I like light weight, I do not like heavy ar's.
    Thanks! I guess I was just thrown by the malfunction. Of all my builds I've only had two issues right out of the gate - this and my 7.62x39 build - ironically, neither like HP rounds.

I'm really happy with the weight. My very first AR has a Rock River Arms heavy barrel - I didn't even know that there were different profiles back when I bought that upper. That thing is heavy.

I wouldn’t get to worried it was Wolf ammo. Typically under powered and inconsistently loaded from round to round.

(Allegheny County)

I kept one round. Maybe I can get a pic of it. The nose has a small gouge in it where it was hanging up.

Only fired one 20 rd mag of that ammo. Had about 5 that got hung up at random times.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I kept one round. Maybe I can get a pic of it. The nose has a small gouge in it where it was hanging up.

Only fired one 20 rd mag of that ammo. Had about 5 that got hung up at random times.
    Did it feed standard wolf FMJ? I shoot a ton of steel cased ammo with no issues except for a 18" barreled AR with a rifle length gas system. It's perfectly gassed so it won't run with any underpowered ammunition. That all being said I don't think I've shot or stock any steel cased HP in any caliber so I don't have any 1st hand knowledge of issues.

Did the inside of the mag look okay? The tip may have been getting jammed up on the magazine lips.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Did it feed standard wolf FMJ? I shoot a ton of steel cased ammo with no issues except for a 18" barreled AR with a rifle length gas system. It's perfectly gassed so it won't run with any underpowered ammunition. That all being said I don't think I've shot or stock any steel cased HP in any caliber so I don't have any 1st hand knowledge of issues.

Did the inside of the mag look okay? The tip may have been getting jammed up on the magazine lips.
    Didn't have any Wolf FMJ to try.
    I don't think it was sticking in the mag, but I wasn't the one shooting it, so I couldn't get a clear look in there when it was happening.
    The mag has been in use prior to this and never had an issue with it before.

(Allegheny County)

Looked up the thread from when I built the gun this lower started out as and found the price list, so I thought I'd add it here.

Build prices:
    (note that if these prices sound high, consider that all the lower parts were purchased several years ago - 2014 to 2016)

$300.00 (new) - Upper (complete) Palmetto State Armory Pencil Barrel (1:7 twist) w/Toolcraft Nickel Boron BCG

$100.00** (used) - Lower - Del-Ton - already had LPK (minus trigger group) installed
    (**I recall placing a WTB ad offering $100 for a lower - I think that's what I paid)
    $38.21 (new) - Charging handle - BCM Gunfighter "medium" latch
    $59.99 (new) - Buffer Tube Kit - Spikes Tactical milspec tube with ST-T2 heavy buffer
    $62.00 (new) - Trigger - Rock River Arms National Match 2-Stage trigger
    FREE*** (new) - Stock - Mission First Tactical Minimalist stock (***generously donated by a forum member)
    FREE*** (new) - Grip - Hogue Overmold (***generously donated by a forum member)
    $58.00 (new) - Optic - CenterPoint (Crosman) 1-4x20mm with illuminated reticle - if I like it (so far I do) I may upgrade to a better brand

$618.20 Total to date
    ($560 without the optic)
    ($70 estimated price of the donated items would bring the total to $688)

(Allegheny County)

Added a forward grip.
    I also picked up a VG6 Epsilon SL (slim) muzzle device to replace the flash hider. The slim Epsilon will match the pecil barrel profile, and it will look and shoot better.
    I still need to add the sling as well. I've been looking at sling mounts, but decided to go with my original plan of using Paracord to attach the sling.

I have a SIG barricade stop that I may add, but I'm not sure where to put it yet.

Seen here with an older cousin...

Last edited by Emptymag; December 11th, 2019 at 11:23 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast