Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default What are the best skills to have if SHTF

Physical readiness. As in, being in shape. I'm not talking going to the gym 5 times a week, but not being a fat out of shape slob.

All of the weapons, water, food and gadgets wont do you ANY good if you cant walk around the block without getting winded.

Think about it...if Armageddon hits, you need to be able to move and respond to any kind of emergency and depend on no one but yourself. Just some food for thought.

(Berks County)

Default Re: What are the best skills to have if SHTF

Quote Originally Posted by Baratheon View Post
    Physical readiness. As in, being in shape. I'm not talking going to the gym 5 times a week, but not being a fat out of shape slob.

All of the weapons, water, food and gadgets wont do you ANY good if you cant walk around the block without getting winded.

Think about it...if Armageddon hits, you need to be able to move and respond to any kind of emergency and depend on no one but yourself. Just some food for thought.
    All I can do is hunker down in my hole, shoot whatever comes by and eat it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

Been reading apocalypse books lately? Myself would love to have a prepper fallback bunker but just try to have plenty of water, ammo, mre's for now. If the world goes crazy, we'll have to deal however we can.

(Bucks County)

I'm counting on my fat stores to get me through the lean times.

Being in shape is extremely important as well as free of any dependency of drugs like blood pressure and cholesterol meds. That being said food and water are the most important thing period. If you don't have those preps starting day 1 of any real long term situation then you are fucked regardless if you look like a young Arnold or Chris Christie.

(Bucks County)

I got the physical part down.
    I'm 180 lbs. of solid muscle... with a delicious 20lb. candy coating.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

High performance 4x4 truck, beer, and tons of ammo and guns.
    Hold my beer!!!!

(Washington County)

First, have guns, ammo, water, food, and medical supplies to last 30 days hunkered down in your house.

Second, have the skills and supplies to hunt and fish with the required survival skills to survive after 30 days in the woods. That's my plan.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Tioga County)

If everything collapses completely there is an age you reach where do you really want to hang around for all this?

It's like Red Dawn and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. In the end it's the kids that are the survivors and end up dealing with it all.

That said if you fancy carrying on for a while, outstanding cardio and physical fitness will stand you out above 90% of the population, if not more, with the added benefit of being in better health. Firearms skills and plenty of ammo will be key. The weak city zombies will start rampaging all over, so until that horde is suppressed, you'll need superior firepower. Longer term, the ability of obtain food will obviously help. I for instance have so many different berries, maple trees and apples I could easily make enough dried fruits, jams and syrups to sustain sugar needs year round.

Personally I wouldn't have any less then a years worth of food if planning for the long term which is pretty easy to do and affordable if you are willing to eat a few basic choices over that time period.

As for hunting it's a great skill but something that wont last long since everyone and their brother will be out there looking for the same game you are. That resource will dry up rather quickly in any real long term situation.

I have 4 mouths to take care of and it's best doing that by not leaving and staying put, the pressure would be on big time even if you have a years worth of food, water and provisions to keep you going. Some gardening skills, a greenhouse and some chickens are the skills I am more interested in then anything else.

Ammo and gun's are great but you cannot eat a bullet so most of my extra stuff which there is a lot of would become great trade fodder for things that matter.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast