Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Default Re: What are the best skills to have if SHTF

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread, but a major and under-mentioned factor is that the main threat you'd face during a prolonged global catastrophe will be from the government.

Most people have enough food for maybe a week, then they go hungry. Most people have no stored water except for a six pack or two.

Your starving neighbors are not going to smile sadly and just accept that your stuff is your stuff, that maybe they should have spent more on canned goods and less on unlimited data service and electric sneakers. They'll demand that the government do whatever is needed to feed their little brats.

When things go sideways everywhere, your local mayor and council, your county emergency board, your state governor and state police, and dozens of other authority figures will immediately jettison the Constitution, and start confiscating guns and food and water and other supplies.

Your plans need to factor that in, what you'll do when the local cops are going door to door and stealing all the food for "fair distribution".

They went door to door and stole all the guns they could find after Katrina. If Yellowstone erupts and covers the globe in ash, and no crops grow for a few years, there WILL be local fascists seizing EVERYTHING. Decide now whether you prefer hiding your stash in undetectable nooks, or shooting you entire local PD and then waiting for the military to use RPG's on your home.
    This scenario was a large part of The Survivalist book series I put in a post in the 2nd or 3rd page in this thread. There will be tough decisions to make for sure if it were to come down to that. My overall goal was to have a very very rural spot within a few hours of my current place with a off the grid type cabin on it, however life doesn’t seem to want to go along with what I want and that most likely isn’t going to happen now.

I think one needs to pick a specific type of situation to prep for and set a goal. Along the way you can make some provisions Incase you have to call a last second audible.

Digging a well hidden root cellar maybe an alternative to being able to get as far away and hidden as you can.

(Chester County)

Living in SHTF situation is no different than living in a democrat controlled city at this point. Everyone in those cities now as it is currently configured rely on the government to feed them.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Haven't read the whole thread, but a major and under-mentioned factor is that the main threat you'd face during a prolonged global catastrophe will be from the government.

Most people have enough food for maybe a week, then they go hungry. Most people have no stored water except for a six pack or two.

Your starving neighbors are not going to smile sadly and just accept that your stuff is your stuff, that maybe they should have spent more on canned goods and less on unlimited data service and electric sneakers. They'll demand that the government do whatever is needed to feed their little brats.

When things go sideways everywhere, your local mayor and council, your county emergency board, your state governor and state police, and dozens of other authority figures will immediately jettison the Constitution, and start confiscating guns and food and water and other supplies.

Your plans need to factor that in, what you'll do when the local cops are going door to door and stealing all the food for "fair distribution".

They went door to door and stole all the guns they could find after Katrina. If Yellowstone erupts and covers the globe in ash, and no crops grow for a few years, there WILL be local fascists seizing EVERYTHING. Decide now whether you prefer hiding your stash in undetectable nooks, or shooting you entire local PD and then waiting for the military to use RPG's on your home.
    Hmm.....
    Have a small, but tangible amount of supplies, have the rest hidden well, and mentally forget about the hidden stuff so it looks like I am upset enough during the confiscation of the visible stuff so they don't think there is any hidden stuff. Man....prepping is pretty much a full time job. Time to hide!!!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    All I can do is hunker down in my hole, shoot whatever comes by and eat it.
    Works for me. I hope Netflix and Amazon Prime Video still work. :-)

i'm going to need more ammo...
    let them RPG my supplies.
    we've also got about 70gal of potable water stored. water is cheap.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Tioga County)

The past is a good predictor of the future so if you want to see what apocalyptic situations are and how they will pan out, read up on European history from 1914-1955, especially in Eastern Europe. Many different groups persecuted or nearly destroyed due to their political or religious beliefs or ethnicity or nationality. Many families and their long history destroyed, millions lost property never to be obtained again. Lots of places like Prussia or Karelia Finland, completely erased and obliterated. What a lot of people probably don't realize is at the end of WW2, the allies didn't want all these different ethnic groups spread across national borders, so any Germans were sent to Germany, any Polish were sent to Poland, etc. Parts of Ukraine used to be Polish and German groups existed even in Russia. All gone.

Lesson I learned was that the people that had the best chance of survival had no attachment to their property and/or saw the war clouds and got to some other place in the world where it was safer.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    The past is a good predictor of the future so if you want to see what apocalyptic situations are and how they will pan out, read up on European history from 1914-1955, especially in Eastern Europe. Many different groups persecuted or nearly destroyed due to their political or religious beliefs or ethnicity or nationality. Many families and their long history destroyed, millions lost property never to be obtained again. Lots of places like Prussia or Karelia Finland, completely erased and obliterated. What a lot of people probably don't realize is at the end of WW2, the allies didn't want all these different ethnic groups spread across national borders, so any Germans were sent to Germany, any Polish were sent to Poland, etc. Parts of Ukraine used to be Polish and German groups existed even in Russia. All gone.

Lesson I learned was that the people that had the best chance of survival had no attachment to their property and/or saw the war clouds and got to some other place in the world where it was safer.
    Anyone aware of Mao's Red Guard's "Struggle Sessions" can see that the American Left has fully embraced that destructive, hateful ideology.

For those who didn't know, a Struggle Session is when those in power force a dissenter to publicly admit guilt, apologize, and suffer humiliating punishment for saying the wrong thing. Not for any crime, just for opposing the Revolution.

Progressives believe that they are riding the revolution, and that all who dissent, all who say un-PC things, all who decline to use their Newspeak made-up language, anyone who makes a joke about the special protected people, must be destroyed. Rosanne gets fired for mentioning a movie that included an actress who had the exact same haircut as Valerie Jarrett, a radio host gets fired for noting that black women often have nappy hair, businesses are boycotted because an executive donates to anyone who opposes the Revolution.

When your enemies adopt vile tactics of monsters, it's not paranoia to expect them to emulate the other monstrous acts. Nobody expects killing fields in America in 2018, but nobody expected concentration camps in Germany in the 1940's, either.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Read about real life SHTF from a guy who lived it in Bosnia in the early 90s.

It's long, but there are lots of questions asked that he answers.
    This isn't a fantasy - these people lived it - and not all that long ago.

http://www.shtfplan.com/emergency-pr...-zone_10252011

Don't know if it's been said, but read one second after, and it's following books. Gives a good idea of what you'd be dealing with

(Erie County)

..., a radio host gets fired for noting that black women often have nappy hair, ...
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-fir...r-racial-slur/

But Imus found himself at the center of a storm after he called members of the Rutgers team "nappy-headed hos" last week.
    I remembered that, and if he said that with in my presence, I would have bitch slapped him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast